GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

? about front brakes and at when you replaced them.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 01:40 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? about front brakes and at when you replaced them.

I first need to tell you that I am very good on brakes. I have gotten 40,000 miles out of a pair of front brakes on my truck before. But I have really not held onto a truck that long other then that one to put brakes on.

I have 25,000 miles on this truck and I was just told that I needed front brakes at a cost of 365.00. I'm told it's a heavy truck but hey so was my Escalade which was also 6000 lbs and I was told my brakes were like new after two years.

What have you paid at the dealership for front brakes? Also if the truck was home my hubby would have put them on but we won't get the truck back until we are already down the shore this weekend so we didn't want to take a chance. I was told they were between 2-3 millimeters. I told them to just replace them. My back brakes are like new he told me.
Old 09-03-09, 03:02 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I replaced mine around 32k/35k mi. w/room to go. It's a little premature to replace your front pads, but without knowing the distance you need to drive before your husband gets home is the unknown.

The cost is relative, but $365 sounds rich even for a Lexus dealer for just front pads. Parts are $70 - $80 of that total so your looking at $285 for labor. They are estimating 2+ hrs for labor, which is double the time what it will take the tech to replace just front pads.

Maybe I am reading to much into it, but it sounds like you are second guessing the same SA you were just singing praises about in another post.

Last edited by cssnms; 09-03-09 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-03-09, 05:35 PM
JASP615
Driver

There is a lot going on and Chuck has done his job. I am sure that he has to answer to someone and can only do what he is told. He is not the Service Manager at Atlantic City but he still did a great job.

In just the last week Lexus is paying to replace my rims and they paid for my 36 month service which was 640.00 so I'm guessing that somewhere along the line they needed to recoup some of the money lost.

I have never paid to have brakes put on EVER! My hubby has done them. This is also the first Lexus that we have owned so being in the position that we were in there wasn't really time to say no we will do them. Last week our vacation was ruined so to leave things to chance this weekend was not an option we wanted to take.

365.00 was for new brakes in the front and to do the rotors. I did get a price at the place we have the truck service and he quoted 235.00 so unless we were going to do it our self it wasn't worth the aggravation.

I will get my truck back tomorrow. We leave for the shore tomorrow morning and I will call them to meet us at the shore house so we could swap out cars.

Let's hope this is going to turn into a happy ending.
Old 09-03-09, 06:01 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If the price included turning the rotors too, then that's a fair price in my book. And you can't put a price on piece of mind esp if it's only $365.

I would have advised against turning the rotors, but that's another story for another time. There are plenty of posts on here on the subject. Best of luck!
Old 09-03-09, 08:29 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The week after we brought our GX home (with just over 42k miles we had to replace the front brake pads), the rotors were turned under warranty (if you're still within the 3 year/50k mark and your brakes are starting to feel a little wobblely upon gradual stops, then get your rotors turned--it's free! and totally worth it). We also paid right about $370 for just the pads (since everything else was done under warranty).

Likewise, I thought that was pretty pricey for just front pads, but it's not our first Lexus, so I wasn't too suprised at the ridiculously high price.
Old 09-04-09, 05:42 AM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JASP615, did you buy the GX new or used?
Old 09-04-09, 05:55 AM
JASP615
Driver

I bought it new from Cherry Hill Lexus (won't ever deal with them again). Aug 29th of 06. It's loaded with a chrome tail, all weather mats, lexus link (this saved our truck when it was stolen) I only had it 3 months before someone stole it but it was found about two miles from home parked the only damage was a dent in the bumper. I guess they were quite happy when they found the 200 dollars in the ash tray that they left the truck behind...LOL Oh and they got the keys also.