GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Windshield chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 09:45 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield chip

After driving to Colorado from Texas I now have a small chip in my GX470 windshield. Has anyone ever used these windshield chip repair services they offer at high end car washes? A co-worker tells me the chip repair places only keep the chip from spreading and the chip is still there after they work on it? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 08-10-09, 10:50 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

I had it done on an old BMW. It was "OK", but you could still see where it was. I would let it spread and then have your insurance buy you a new one. I had mine replace last year and it only cost me $100 bucks deductable.

Old 08-10-09, 10:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

It really depends on the chip itself. I had it done in an older car a few years ago and you could barely see it after the fix, but have seen others that only helped delay the eventual spreading of the damage and the issue was still very visible.
Old 08-10-09, 11:00 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had it done on my Scion tC for a small chip, it not bad at all but you can still see the
repaired area and sometimes it can be a site for sore eyes. If you have auto glass protection on your insurance you might want to do the $100 deductible and get a new factory windshield but ask the shop how much is a new windshield out of pocket ? Sometimes the cost and the deductible are very close and you don't want to use insurance unless there is no choice
Old 08-10-09, 11:19 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mowmow
I had it done on my Scion tC for a small chip, it not bad at all but you can still see the
repaired area and sometimes it can be a site for sore eyes. If you have auto glass protection on your insurance you might want to do the $100 deductible and get a new factory windshield but ask the shop how much is a new windshield out of pocket ? Sometimes the cost and the deductible are very close and you don't want to use insurance unless there is no choice

OEM glass is about $1000 bucks...
Old 08-10-09, 06:08 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Thanks Guys!
Old 08-10-09, 09:45 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After driving from NYC to Colorado I also have a chip in my one month old new Lexus replacement windshield. It's right in front of the driver and it has a small crack originating from the center of it. That can NOT be fixed, since the crack will continue to grow. Luckily I was able to take down the license plate of the truck that threw the stone, so my insurance co. can collect from the truck insurance co.

To answer your question, unless your chip has no visible cracks originating from it, I would not recommend fixing it, just change it and have your insurance pay for it (if you have glass coverage) Also, don't get Lexus glass, there are others on this board that recommend PPG with acoustic layer, and others.(as it was pointed out before - Lexus glass is very soft - I have to agree) If the chip is small, you can give a fix a try, I did that on my old RX and it worked OK, but as others pointed out, you can still tell where the chip was/is.
Old 08-10-09, 09:59 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cmarshack
OEM glass is about $1000 bucks...
Then I strongly suggest using Autoglass insurance if you have it otherwise
you might have to be out of pocket expense
Old 08-11-09, 05:46 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

I actually went ahead yesterday and paid the $40 at the car wash chip repair. Exactly like you guys said, it won't spread now, but I can still see a small imperfection. The problem is like gsobol my chip is sort of right in the center of the driver's side view area....so I am going to see if I can live with it....but I am leaning towards replacement. Do most of you agree to not use Lexus for replacement? I was going to take it to the Lexus dealer because of the windshield wiper and just thought they would be best???????? Money is not really an issue....but if Lexus glass is really not very good then I don't want to get an inferior product. Any additional advice appreciated.
Old 08-11-09, 08:49 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most Lexus dealers will use outside auto glass company. Most insurance companies have an approved list of auto glass companies that they want you to use, otherwise you're on your own. Do search on windshield on this forum, tons of useful info.
Old 08-11-09, 01:07 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

My insurance paid $30 extra annually for "Original Equipment" meaning lexus parts and not 3rd party parts
Old 08-11-09, 01:49 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

wow.....look at this e-mail I just got from my Lexus dealer:

"The cost of the replacement is $1,625.37(with rain sensor) or $1,450.55 (without rain sensor).

Assistant Service Manager
Sewell Lexus"

Old 08-11-09, 05:01 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be careful with aftermarket windshields. I just had a bad experience with an aftermarket installed in an old LS400 I have. First try, the windshield had a scratch in it and it was optically flawed. If you moved your head from left to right when looking through the windshield, it had waves in it and was blurry. I called my insurance company back and insisted they have the glass company replace it again. A couple of days later, I had another windshield with the same optical problems as the first.

I plan to take the car by my insurance companies drive thru claim service and let them see it for themselves. I'm going to insist they pay for an OEM replacement.
Old 08-12-09, 05:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

JimsGX, which glass place did you use in MA. I find safelite to be the worst.
Old 08-12-09, 04:12 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used JN Phillips Glass Co. They have 40 locations and 140 vans for remote installs.

Quick Reply: Windshield chip