GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Radiator change

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 10:16 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radiator change

Anyone complete a radiator change on there GX470? I need to change mine do to a small leak and i have the new radiator and fluid just havent had time to complete the change.

Anyone????????

Thanks
Old 06-01-09, 11:32 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Radiator replacement it is around 2 hours straight, if you have all the required tools. This is the way you can go about doing it.
1. Drain the Engine Coolant ( this one you need first remove the Radiator Cap. then remove the Engine Under Cover No 1 which is a metal plate stuff and 4 bolts. Here you insert a small pipe to the Radiator drain hole at the bottom of radiator, And then loosen the radiator Drain plug and Engine Drain plug. Then Drain the coolant from the Radiator. Then drain the coolant from the reservoir tank ( White Plasticky stuff ) Now close the drain plugs. And remove the hose which was connected earlier at the bottom.
2. Now get to the top of the radiator, here you need to remove the Radiator Support seal upper piece.
3. Now go on and remove the radiator reserve tank assy. Ensure to disconnect the reserve tank hose from the radiator. Remove the 3 bolts and the reserve tank.
4. Now seperate the Fan shroud . and then disconnect the Radiator Hose which is at the top Right end. and another one at the bottom left also. Then you disconnect the Oil cooler inlet hose.
5. Remove the two bolts at both top ends of the fan shroud. Now keep the fan shroud in the Engine bay itself.
6. Now you get to the Radiator Assy, having four bolts on the corners. And now remove the supports, Go in a sequence to remove. It can be clockwise or antiwise clockwise. Ensure to remember this while the new one goes in.. Here once you remove the bolts, they have the bushes also, needs to be remove sequentially. Thats it !!
Get the new placed, go back the installation way the reverse as I have explained.
7. The final stage would once the hose is clamped, you could pour the Engine coolant ( toyota Anti freeze long Life coolant - Pink color suggested ). Ensure you fill slowly. You should fill around 13.6 qts. Do not use water as the coolants are premixed. The best way to check for the fill is just press the hoses around the radiator inlet and outlet hoses, several time sby hand, If the coolant level goes down, add coolant. Once completed Check for leaks around the hoses and joints areas of the radiator.
8. Install the radiator cap.
9. Start the Engine and open the heater water valve. Maintain the RPm around 2500-3000. And warm the Engine. Now refill the reservoir tank till the full line. And now your good to go !!

IMPORTANT** Take contaminated coolants and antifreeze to an EPA-endorsed recycling facility. You can find out where the nearest one is by contacting your state's EPA branch. This will save our children to live longer and saving this planet. It would be a wonderful deed.**

Last edited by mann777; 06-01-09 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 11:23 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Originally Posted by mann777
Radiator replacement it is around 2 hours straight, if you have all the required tools. This is the way you can go about doing it.
1. Drain the Engine Coolant ( this one you need first remove the Radiator Cap. then remove the Engine Under Cover No 1 which is a metal plate stuff and 4 bolts. Here you insert a small pipe to the Radiator drain hole at the bottom of radiator, And then loosen the radiator Drain plug and Engine Drain plug. Then Drain the coolant from the Radiator. Then drain the coolant from the reservoir tank ( White Plasticky stuff ) Now close the drain plugs. And remove the hose which was connected earlier at the bottom.
2. Now get to the top of the radiator, here you need to remove the Radiator Support seal upper piece.
3. Now go on and remove the radiator reserve tank assy. Ensure to disconnect the reserve tank hose from the radiator. Remove the 3 bolts and the reserve tank.
4. Now seperate the Fan shroud . and then disconnect the Radiator Hose which is at the top Right end. and another one at the bottom left also. Then you disconnect the Oil cooler inlet hose.
5. Remove the two bolts at both top ends of the fan shroud. Now keep the fan shroud in the Engine bay itself.
6. Now you get to the Radiator Assy, having four bolts on the corners. And now remove the supports, Go in a sequence to remove. It can be clockwise or antiwise clockwise. Ensure to remember this while the new one goes in.. Here once you remove the bolts, they have the bushes also, needs to be remove sequentially. Thats it !!
Get the new placed, go back the installation way the reverse as I have explained.
7. The final stage would once the hose is clamped, you could pour the Engine coolant ( toyota Anti freeze long Life coolant - Pink color suggested ). Ensure you fill slowly. You should fill around 13.6 qts. Do not use water as the coolants are premixed. The best way to check for the fill is just press the hoses around the radiator inlet and outlet hoses, several time sby hand, If the coolant level goes down, add coolant. Once completed Check for leaks around the hoses and joints areas of the radiator.
8. Install the radiator cap.
9. Start the Engine and open the heater water valve. Maintain the RPm around 2500-3000. And warm the Engine. Now refill the reservoir tank till the full line. And now your good to go !!

IMPORTANT** Take contaminated coolants and antifreeze to an EPA-endorsed recycling facility. You can find out where the nearest one is by contacting your state's EPA branch. This will save our children to live longer and saving this planet. It would be a wonderful deed.**
Mann777 - thanks for the write up. I completed the change yesterday. Was easy to do. THe only thing i got stuck on was the lower radiator hose clamp. The original one was more of a pressure clamp. Hard to explain just open the hood and look at the upper radiator hose clamp that is what i am talking about. It was hard to get to and a pain becasue of the angle. ANyway replaced it before i put it back with one that has a screw to tighten. Much easier and better in my oppinion. Also cleaned all front half of motor and replace all bolts for the underneath engine covers. No wonder i had a rattle that i couldnt find, HAHA.

Thanks
Old 06-04-09, 12:30 AM
mann777

You right, mine has a plate like along with the stud to clasp it. Ok i forgot one think did you blow dry the A/c fins , as over a period lots of debris settles into this fins. And cooling efficiency reduces. Hope you would have done that. Anyway thanks I could help you out. That's what this forum is all about. , hoping you disposed the old coolant the right way. cheers
Old 06-04-09, 07:44 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Originally Posted by mann777
You right, mine has a plate like along with the stud to clasp it. Ok i forgot one think did you blow dry the A/c fins , as over a period lots of debris settles into this fins. And cooling efficiency reduces. Hope you would have done that. Anyway thanks I could help you out. That's what this forum is all about. , hoping you disposed the old coolant the right way. cheers

Yes the a/c condensor was cleaned and the coolant was disgarded correctly.

thanks
Old 11-11-09, 09:57 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I would add to this tread since I just also replaced my radiator. I have read that there is a higher number than normal radiators that are prone to leaking from 2003-2006 in V8 Lexus/Toyota platforms.

I got my 2005 GX 3 weeks ago and have been busy base lining all the fluids and filters when I came across a small leak around the lower driver side. This was missed by the Lexus inspector! Small drops of antifreeze were on the sway bars and it was crusted on the lower part of the radiator. Apparently this is a common area of failure.

Replacement radiator from Lexus $800, parts alone. The first after market one I got was from AutoZone, made in India for $269. It was a POS! Fins were not evenly places and the core was ¼ inch thinner than OEM (that’s a lot of surface area lost).

I got a tip from my Toyota parts guys who called
https://www.1800radiator.com/
They got me a Koyorad radiator. Made by Koyo in Japan. I know Koyo products mainly from replacing the bearing on my Landcruiser. Toyota uses Koyo bearing for there OEM parts. Paid $294 and it was absolutely flawless. An exact match to the OEM in every way. What a difference and only $25 more with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.koyorad.com/

The only thing I can add to Mann’s excellent write up is that I bought a special spring hose clamp pliers form NAPA ($26). Since that lower hose is a b****! And it made the job much easier. Right tool for the job (words to live by)!

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...e+Clamp+Pliers

While I was doing the radiator I also replaced the main upper and lower hoses, thermostat and gasket. Total cost with Toyota lifetime antifreeze was about $400.

All is good now
Old 11-11-09, 10:32 PM
mann777

Knock on wood so far no leaks on my 04. But I keep doing preventive maintenance for areas which are normally prone to condtions out of our purview.
Old 11-23-09, 01:46 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

OK guys, I just ordered my koto radiator. I am told that it is the OEM unit, part 2690. It is about $190 plus ship. Now, for those who know, what is attached to this besides the 2 radiator hoses. I can order those pretty inexpensively, Rockauto.com has the gates 22831 and 22832 for around 410 each. I am not sure what this means though...
GATES Part # 22831 {1 15/32" x 20 3/32" Does Not Contain Spring Molded Coolant Hose**

Is the thermostat directly attached, shall I change it now or can it be done just the same when timing belt and water pump are due around 90k ???? Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-09, 02:16 PM
jditom
Pole Position

What rig is this for?
A KoyoRad for $190 seems cheap.
I paid around $290 for mine.

Upper and lower waterhose, termostat and gasket are all at your toyota dealer for proper OEM parts.
Old 11-23-09, 02:29 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by jditom
What rig is this for?

Upper and lower waterhose, termostat and gasket are all at your toyota dealer for proper OEM parts.
I hope this is the right radiator
http://www.go-part.com/0307-lexus-gx...0-p-16175.html
Old 11-23-09, 04:12 PM
jditom
Pole Position

That is correct and that is a great price!

Make sure is says KoyoRad on the box and it looks just like your rad before installing it.
Old 12-01-09, 06:03 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by jditom
What rig is this for?

Alright, the company sent me an Indian Radiator LOL...it is going back. But doing my search, I found this
http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-parts...rol-radiator-1

Now I am confused, is it Koyo 2690 or Koyo Cooling W0133-1828638 Radiator ??
Old 12-01-09, 09:47 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Look at my post above and call 1-800radiator, get a KOYORAD (made by KOYO) and be done with it
Old 12-17-09, 09:25 AM
GS430CHICK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 GS430 radiator leaking

Just found out that my radiator needs to be replaced. I've got 157,500 miles on my '02. I just paid a hefty sum to get my front lower ball joints replaced and now I need a new radiator. Is this common?
Old 12-17-09, 10:03 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GS430CHICK
Just found out that my radiator needs to be replaced. I've got 157,500 miles on my '02. I just paid a hefty sum to get my front lower ball joints replaced and now I need a new radiator. Is this common?
"Common" for what vehicle? The GX, no. And the GX was not offered as a model year 2002.

Quick Reply: Radiator change