GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Airconditioning Air Smells stale

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 08:33 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Airconditioning Air Smells stale

On a recent long trip to Ohio I had to put AC on and had a bit of strange stale smell of stale air coming into the cabin, this is unlike the TSB issued for Sulphur oxide smell. This is not that issue. I have kept cabin refreshers, but when the Air initial blows it has a strong stale smell. I would want to know has anybody know how to clean the cabin air filter, or advise me of the location, It would be wonderful if anybody has a document.
Old 05-05-09, 08:53 PM
pjarvis
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't clean it, you replace it. $20 at any major auto chain. It's in the glove box, I"ll
talk you through it if you don't have a manual. It's at the end of the GPS manual.
Be careful no to break the tabs on the cartridge.
Old 05-05-09, 09:30 PM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I normally blast the A/C on full fresh air and spray Lysol into the front air ducts by the hood and windshield. Gets things smelling nice and fresh.

Doesnt hurt to try before changing the cabin filter.
Old 05-05-09, 09:58 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes just change the filter its 20 bucks and allows you ac to work probably you'll notice the air push alot more did mine looked gross amazing how much crap gets sucked in
Old 05-06-09, 11:54 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Do a search, there are some threads on here about this problem. I went through it myself. After changing my cabin filter, spraying the deodorizer crap down the fresh air return vents, running the system on as hot as the system will go at full blast for 15 min,(all temporary fixes) I ended up doing a full system AC flush at 37k mi and so far it seems to have cured the problem.

The issue is that on "auto" mode, the AC runs more often than not on recirculate esp during the hot months, even kicking on during mild temps. Unfortunately what ends up happing is that the condensation forms on the evaporator fins and in the duct work and unless you make sure to run the system on "fresh air" mode for 10/15 min then shutting off the AC a few min before turning off your GX, the condensate sits there and mold/mildew start to grow on the fins and duct work - it's a perfect breeding ground. The smell is from the VOC's given off by the mold/mildew. The smell is usually at it's worst when you first kick on the AC, esp during humid/hot days usually dispatting to some degree especially when you or the system switches over to "fresh air" mode.

What I have learned from all of this is to switch the AC to fresh air mode when at all possible and turn off the AC and only letting fresh outside air to blow through and over the evaporator coils and through the ducts for a few minutes before turning off the truck, this will dry it out and prevent the growth. If you already have the growth, which it sounds like you do, it's very difficult to kill without a full system flush. You can kill part of it by spraying biocides in the duct work but any remaining growth will spread before returning to previous levels and the spray does not get the evaporator fins which is where most of it grows, hence the temp fix.

Did mine at Toyota vs paying double for it at Lexus.

Last edited by cssnms; 05-06-09 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 08:58 PM
mann777

Thanks CS, I have just bought a new cabin air filter, before I replace, I see you mentioning the full AC system flush, how is this done. I think i have a gut feeling that the mild dew / mold has fully developed, as the smell is really strong. On every start I have started to kick in the fresh air mode with the glass down, and after a few minutes the cabin ac button is pushed in. But the smell still circulates within for the first 2 minutes, It is just unbearable sometimes. Can the system flush be done by self or is it has to be by a dealer or a private repair w/shop.
Old 05-07-09, 06:30 AM
cssnms
Racer

Change your cabin filter after you clean your system otherwise you are running mold spore laden air through a clean filter that will just get trapped and propagate later.

Let me clarify something; When I say A/C system "flush" I am not referring to reclaiming refrigerant and flushing refrigerant lines, but rather cleaning the evaporator coils, air box and duct work. Toyota sells a disposable kit for this (kit name escapes me at the moment) which includes the evaporator/air box flush canister/hose and the fresh air return biocide and deodorizer. I am sure if you call the parts debt at your local Toyota dealer they will sell it to you. You will need to access your evaporator and air box which is located behind your glove box. It should not be too complicated, but it is messy and it takes some time.

Your local automotive store may sell a similar product, but I can't attest to its effectiveness.
Old 05-08-09, 07:53 AM
mann777

thanks CS I am on my way to the part store to get this ....Will keep you posted on the outcome.
Old 05-09-09, 08:04 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of us that can hardly figure out how to put gas in....do Lexus dealers offer this A/C system flush and new cabin filter? And/or do they do this as part of any of the scheduled maintenance?
Old 05-09-09, 07:40 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by itsZep
For those of us that can hardly figure out how to put gas in....do Lexus dealers offer this A/C system flush and new cabin filter? And/or do they do this as part of any of the scheduled maintenance?
Cabin filter, yes, evaporator flush, no. I recommend getting it done at Toyota for less.
Old 05-12-09, 09:09 PM
mann777

CS, just to let you know that yesterday I picked up the Cabin Air filter and surprise on replacing it found the new one totally differs from the OEM which has been inside since I picked my GX. The new one is just got white viscose paper and the one which was in GX was having paper quite woolly stuff, I suppose electrostatic type which attracts dust. And not a bit of dirt or clog on the GX one, Absolutely clean. Ask them to have the flushing done, Picked the GX yesteryday and no more smell. You were right, I believe they had found the pipes having fungi build up due to the moist build up. I refit my old cabin filter back adn returned the new one, As I had cool air of the AC flow restricted. thanks cs once again.
Old 05-13-09, 01:46 PM
cssnms
Racer

Glad to hear it worked out!

FYI - I had a little bit of a greasy residue on my windows after the treatment which I wiped off but it came back after using the AC system. I waited a week or so for any remnants in the duct work to do their thing and dissipate before cleaning my windows again. After that all was good.

happy smells!