GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Pink/Red fluid on the garage floor

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-09, 05:16 PM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pink/Red fluid on the garage floor

So i noticed some red fluid on the garage floor where ethe gx parks. I narrowed it down to radiator fluid. Lower side drivers side radiator has some of this red in the corner. I dont see anything else leaking and the red drops are small. Is there something on that side that might be causing this besides radiator? A line that i cant see or noticed yet?
Old 05-03-09, 07:20 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it oily or watery?

Last edited by purplehazek4; 05-03-09 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-03-09, 09:44 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Red fluid is usually transmission fluid, but can also be power steering fluid if found underneath the engine.
Old 05-04-09, 04:05 AM
pickle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that it is transmission fluid that is leaking from the hose or coupling that attaches to the transmission cooler in front of the radiator. Antifreeze (AKA radiator fluid) is either green or pink in color, and has a water type feel when you rub it between your fingers. Transmission fluid is oily.

Since the vehicle was just purchased, take it back to the dealer, and have them investigate the problem.
Old 05-04-09, 05:32 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to double check all the fluids tonight when i get home. I already told my wife not to use the truck. The fluid is pink in color but its very minor that i really cant tell if its power sterring/tranny or rad fluid. From my experience even antifreeze had some kind of weird feel to it. I did try to smell it from my finger but it didnt smell like anything so that is when i thought maybe it is the antifreeze. Plus the reservior or the over flow tank what ever is its real name is was low. I actually hope it is radiator to be honest. I was just thinking that there might be some kind of small tube or something in that lower left corner. It even actually looks none protected that a rock could have caused an issue.

I will let everyone know what fluids i was low on tonight.

thanks
Old 05-04-09, 08:29 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

I think its radiator fluid. Mine car is 2004 too, and due to corrosion I had to replace radiator, because all the radiator have plastic around them. OEM radiator is around $600. You can get automarket for around $240. Labor should around $100-$200.
Old 05-04-09, 06:24 PM
Vinniety
Driver

Well i am going to post pictures tomorrow morning but it looks like its the radiator. I went ahead and added some antifreeze that i bought at the lexus dealership today to just make sure all fluids are full.

It was a surprise to me to see that the power steering fluid was NOT pink. It looks like they added regular power sterring fluid. it was a very dark brown color. I am going to flush that this saturday.

Once again expect some pictures tomorrow...

thanks everyone
Old 05-05-09, 05:11 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Here are some pictures. As you can see the power steering fluid is not pink. Looks like they have the wrong fluid in it. That is going to get drained and replaced with ATF fluid this saturday. I still am asking on another thread if there is an easy way on how to flush out the power steering fluid.

Old 03-12-14, 05:38 PM
Danger81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm at a loss, please help!!

I have a 2007 es350 with 73,000. miles. I noticed on the garage floor a tiny pink spot of fluid underneath on the right front side. To my surprise there is no dipstick for the tranny (sealed) and the power steering fluid is a clear color. So, now I'm confused to what the liquid might be. There's no smell and it feels oily. I can't see anywhere from the bottom or the top of the motor where it might me coming from. I see just a tiny, tiny amount of the pink fluid running down the side of the oil pan from underneath the car but, can't see where it's coming from. There's no sign from the top either. I have no dash light indicators but, common sense tells me that sooner or later that liquid is coming from somewhere and it's an indication of something. Can anyone give me a clue as to where to look from here? I hate to take it to a dealer for something like this. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-12-14, 07:12 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

check the corners of your radiator really good. Look fir pink crusty, Your overflow reservoir losing any coolant?Opps, just saw you have an ES sedan, I would venture to say water pump. I have a GS350 and replaced it at 80k. They are know to leak in the 80k range. Take bottom cover off youuse to change oil and look up on there for the pink crusty debris.

Last edited by burny; 03-12-14 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 08:11 PM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet it's the radiator, notorious issue with the GX, had to replace mine at 90k miles, small leak in same location
Old 03-13-14, 09:05 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a power steering fluid (ATF) flush last summer in my Gen3 4Runner, as it was brown. Soon as I did the work, it developed a leak just above the gears, leaving puddles of red ATF on the garage floor, on the driver's side. I asked around if I might have damaged something, and most people tell me that the leakage probably existed, but the new thinner ATF leaks, where the old thick crappy brown fluid didn't. I put in about half of smaller bottle of 'Lucas Stop LEak' for power steering and it fixed it like a magic, not a drop in 8 months.
Old 03-13-14, 11:24 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
I did a power steering fluid (ATF) flush last summer in my Gen3 4Runner, as it was brown. Soon as I did the work, it developed a leak just above the gears, leaving puddles of red ATF on the garage floor, on the driver's side. I asked around if I might have damaged something, and most people tell me that the leakage probably existed, but the new thinner ATF leaks, where the old thick crappy brown fluid didn't. I put in about half of smaller bottle of 'Lucas Stop LEak' for power steering and it fixed it like a magic, not a drop in 8 months.
I've got a 32oz bottle of Lucas engine oil stop leak sitting here waiting to go in the CRX. Hope it stops the minor camshaft oil seal leak. After owning a British sports car, it's hard to put ANY faith in a product branded "LUCAS". Glad to hear the Lucas stuff worked on your power steering leak.
Old 03-13-14, 12:53 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm almost 100% sure its radiator fluid. Is there any pink "crustiness" when you look at the bottom of the radiator? If it eventually becomes a powdery substance, it's antifreeze, transmission fluid or power steering fluid stays wet and"oily."

Mine leaked from the same exact spot, lower driver's side. I've read where others had the same issue, I'm not sure why so many leak from that spot, but there's either some sort of mounting issue that's causing to rub or there was a defect on the assembly line on that side of the radiator.

I bought a Denso brand on RockAuto for something like $200 to replace it, it's been working great and appeared high quality. I wouldn't buy one at a dealership.

On a side note, I hate that Toyota uses red antifreeze, it's the same damn color as so many other fluids. Why not follow Honda or Acura's example and make it blue?

Last edited by BradTank; 03-13-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-13-14, 01:18 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

We have a couple different people asking. The guy with the ES posted in the wrong forum, but I really believe his 07 ES is a water pump. He can check the weep ho to see if there is any pink crust around that bad boy.

Quick Reply: Pink/Red fluid on the garage floor