GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking for a V8 SUV from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 06:01 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Looking for a V8 SUV from Lexus

Greetings,
I'm interested in the feedback from GX owners on WHAT is recommended.

I have a small boat (18 foot Bayliner bowrider) and need a good towing vehicle that is in line with my luxury needs (Lexus owner for 10yrs). My budget is around $30k and there seems to be a substantial inventory of used GX470s on the market here in the USA.

My budget allows me to look at both the GX and LX models (used). I have a small family, but like the comfort, luxury, and space available on the bigger LX. However, the gas mileage is worse and there is not too many LXs on the market.

Why did you choose the GX over the LX? Since price was probably the primary factor, consider now that used prices for both are within a few grand and this is not a factor now.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 04-07-09, 08:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The LX is not much bigger than the GX and the old LX looks too much like a Toyata land cruiser. The biggest factor, the LX cost $30000 more.
Old 04-07-09, 08:17 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Greetings,
I'm interested in the feedback from GX owners on WHAT is recommended.

I have a small boat (18 foot Bayliner bowrider) and need a good towing vehicle that is in line with my luxury needs (Lexus owner for 10yrs). My budget is around $30k and there seems to be a substantial inventory of used GX470s on the market here in the USA.

My budget allows me to look at both the GX and LX models (used). I have a small family, but like the comfort, luxury, and space available on the bigger LX. However, the gas mileage is worse and there is not too many LXs on the market.

Why did you choose the GX over the LX? Since price was probably the primary factor, consider now that used prices for both are within a few grand and this is not a factor now.

Thanks for your feedback.
Actually for me it was GX470 vs LandCruiser. I had zero interest in the LX because it was so obviously a tarted up LandCruiser, and if anything I had more affinity for the Toyota brand than the Lexus brand. Just IMO.

I didn't go LandCruiser for two reasons:
1) gas mileage was dramatically worse than the GX
2) the LC was a bit wider than I needed, and felt less "wieldy" in traffic & when parking

I occasionally wish I'd gone LC for the bit of extra space, but I absolutely love the GX. It's car #26 for me, and we bought it primarily as a kid/utility vehicle. I didn't expect it to become my favorite.
Old 04-07-09, 10:07 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either model would do the trick. The only thing to say here is that the LX is a little bigger, but a little worse on gas. If it's a matter of style, then I would choose the GX IMHO. I would test drive and see which one you like better.
Old 04-07-09, 11:27 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose the GX for two reasons:

One, I was downsizing. I had previously owned a Yukon, Excursion, and Expedition, and we decided we would like a smaller truck again.

Two, which you already mentioned, was selection. We have a local dealership that only sells one owner lease turn ins. On any given day, they have about 150 GX's to choose from, so you pretty much get exactly what you want.
Old 04-07-09, 11:32 AM
DDLexus
Racer

rainmn,
Sounds like I need to book a flight and visit your local dealer... what is the name of it?
Old 04-07-09, 12:40 PM
rainmn
Driver

Here's their website:

http://www.autolenders.com/index.htm

They actually have 5 locations, all in NJ. As of right now, their site shows 129 GX's in stock. If you find a few that you want to check out, I'm sure they would move them all to one location for your convenience.

When I bought my GX from them I thought they were pretty decent to deal with, as far as car dealers go.
Old 04-07-09, 01:35 PM
BrentGX470
Driver School Candidate

I chose the GX mainly b/c it looks better, same V8, and better mileage than the LX

I tow a 21' FourWinns open bow on a tandem axle trailer. It tows fine. I'm thankful for the 4 wheel disc brakes on the trailer though.
Old 04-07-09, 05:35 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

It's simple... It sure is purdy to look at and the girls like it!
Old 04-07-09, 07:26 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Another consideration is the AWD system and the maintenance required - they are not the same between the GX and the LX. The LX requires more maintenance. On the other hand, off-road magazines seem to think the LX has the more capable AWD system, so if you're doing true off-road (like, not dirt road, but no road....) the LX might be better. Not saying the GX isn't good off road - just that there are differences, with more maintenance on the LX

My 04 owners manual (the maintenance book) lists the requirements for both the LX and GX - that's what I'm basing this info on.

Personally, I liked the LX (or Land Cruiser) a little better because of the tail gate configuration, and a little more room behind the rear seat. But I was buying new and the cost difference made the GX a better choice for me.
Old 04-07-09, 08:27 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Besides HUGE price difference when buying new, it came down to size - LX would NOT fit into my garage. Also, since my wife is the primary driver of the GX, she had to be comfortable driving it, and she felt that the LX was too big, in her words it was "like driving a tank".

Fuel efficiency was also considered.

Towing capacity was not an issue for since I do not own anything that requires towing.

GX offers plenty of cargo capacity for my needs - 2 sets of scuba gear and camping supplies for a week for 3 people fit nicely.

And of course - THE LOOKS!!!. I find the GX looks a lot sharper than the LX.

The only downside that I see in the GX is the barn door...
Old 04-07-09, 10:14 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a relatively new GX owner, but really like it! However, I really wanted the previous generation LX and still look super favorably upon them. In fact, I think the LX looks sharp inside (so, so much better inside the LX than the GX) and outside (it's close, but I love the look of the previous gen LX) so much so that it's sharper than the GX that I ultimately bought. It came down to money, size and performance for me.

(Here was my car buying experience: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...71-new-gx.html)

For the same money, the LX will have more miles and will be older. Adding insult to injury, I think the LX holds its value better so that only makes it a tougher dollar comparison.

If I recall correctly, the second row has more legroom in the GX than the LX. However, the LX has the edge in cabin width and the third row / cargo area. Both have that stupid fold-away third row. It's so old school in a bad way.

Performance-wise, neither will set any land speed records, but the LX is 1-2s slower to 60mph even with lower gearing so Toyota / Lexus is playing a little trick here to minimize the difference. And that's with the uprated V8 motor employed from '06 on (same as the GX from '05 and on, I think). The LX must weigh a lot more than the GX and it must tax the 4.7L V8 that they both share.

Another kicker was the navi system. The '06 LX had the previous generation system, while my GX has the current system. Small thing, but it helped sway me to the GX.

A couple of comments on the LX470 being a tarted up Toyota LandCruiser. First, the GX is a tarted up Prado. Probably less of an issue in the USA where the Prado isn't sold, but it's still a Toyota at heart. Second, there aren't many manufacturers that don't offer tarted up versions these days. It's so easy / lazy for them to add lipstick, some additional features and a new badge to get a premium price. Third, in the case of the LX versus the LandCruiser, the tarting makes for a much nicer vehicle. Better materials, leather, sound deadening, stereo, etc. I wouldn't do the LC, but would love the LX! To each their own...
Old 04-08-09, 09:16 AM
DDLexus
Racer

a few things concern me about buying a mid-level Lexus. For one, the leather quality. I test drove a GX a few months ago and the leather was peeling away on the seats. The car was only 4 yrs old and the leather was sad. As a previous owner of a top-of-the-line LS430 Ultra, the leather was the best you could find. Semi-aniline and perforated. I have not driven a 2003+ LC or LX, but i would hope that the top-of-the-line SUV has the best leather out there. Anyone care to comment about that?

Also, regarding off-road capabilities. This car will NEVER see off road driving, unless i miss the driveway pulling into my house I'm more interested in a soft ride and a very capable tow vehicle. Effortless towing and comfort for 2 adults and 2 children. Resale is a HUGE issue for me. I usually keep a car for less than 3yrs and do private party sale. So, getting the most money is important. Both have great resale, but the LX or LC is probably better for this, as Johnny Rad stated.

Maintenance... strange this would be a comparison issue. Same engine, right? I'll likely only put 30k miles on this truck, so the maintenance isn't much of a concern. Just reliability.
Old 04-08-09, 09:34 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The car was only 4 yrs old and the leather was sad.
I have noticed that the early GX models have poor leather after a few years on the road. The newer 07-09 GX models look like they use a softer grade of leather.

Last edited by pagemaster; 04-08-09 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 09:38 AM
rainmn
Driver

My GX is an '03 with roughly 60k on the clock. Used mainly by my wife and 2 children. No issues with the leather (ivory) at all.

Not that it's a valid comparison, but we had a Ford Expedition before this that had the driver's seat leather replaced 3 times in less than 30,000 miles. The passenger seat was also replaced once, as were the rear seats. Complete garbage.

Quick Reply: Looking for a V8 SUV from Lexus