GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear suspension issue - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 09:12 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

The primary reason for bottoming is more air less fluid, simple Fluid dynamics theory, Only way I look at it, try recharge it and bleed the excess air out. YOu will see the difference, but ensure the Fluid charge is done by the books, and the valve is replaced, because most of the case its the valve malfunctioning compounding to the problem.
Old 04-17-09, 12:24 AM
love_lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone knows if rear suspension (including the sensors) are corvered by 6yr/70K manufacture power chain warranty?
Thanks.
Old 04-19-09, 09:11 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

No the Suspension issues are covered under Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. It is usually 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the vehicle first in service date. The Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based on customer specific complaint.
Old 05-02-15, 10:23 AM
Haseeb6657
Driver School Candidate

Hi
i read all that.
That was cool. Can you tell me from where you got those tyres and rims.
You can contact me here haseebhabib102@yahoo.com

Waiting for your response

Regards
Haseeb Habib
=======================
Originally Posted by AVnGX
Hello all,... this is my first post here, but an avid reader for years.
Background - 2006 GX, bought new, now has 84,000 miles and flawless operation ,.. only 2 turn signal bulbs.
Now my issue:
The rear suspension seems to bottom out / hits hard on typical bumps here in Michigan. I know it did not ride this harsh when new,.. or up to last year.
I have searched the forums for all suspension discussions, and don't seem to have the typical sensor height or shock function problem . I say this because the vehicle does raise & lower with the height adjust button. It also sits statically even right to left. It also has the same ride height as usual, & tire pressures correct.

Has anyone had a similar harsh ride complaint that you could share your experience with?

Or is my initial diagnosis / assumptions wrong?
Thanks!

PS- here is a pic of the ride with the dubs. And yes, it rides harsher with these, but right now I am running the factory tires/wheels for winter.
Old 05-02-15, 05:31 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default the hight sensor

Don't buy the sensors. Waste of money. I got the same problem last year. Bought them new and had them replaced. The next day same thing happend. I took them out and bought the conversion kit with that money.
Old 02-11-16, 11:45 AM
Bails
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angelslex
Don't buy the sensors. Waste of money. I got the same problem last year. Bought them new and had them replaced. The next day same thing happend. I took them out and bought the conversion kit with that money.
Ive been considering doing the swap as well. My 04 will ride bottomed out 90% of the time. When it does this it will not let me adjust to low or high, and the off button is not lit up or flashing. It will randomly fill up and ride normal and let me adjust a few times for about 20 mins then goes back to bottoming out and being unresponsive. Any thoughts?

Also what all did you go with for your swap?
Old 02-11-16, 02:45 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Converted mine to coil springs and haven't looked back. Had I known how well it was going to ride with springs I would've done it before my compressor went out. Used MetalTechs conversion kit and trail team edition FJ cruiser springs from Oreilly's. Total cost was roughly $350. I did the work myself. This is how it sits now.

Name:  32AFB6BB-3E19-4286-820A-AE35079F0257_zpsoekmvi6g.jpg
Views: 6809
Size:  138.8 KB

Last edited by BlackCat81; 02-11-16 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 09:34 AM
Bails
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Converted mine to coil springs and haven't looked back. Had I known how well it was going to ride with springs I would've done it before my compressor went out. Used MetalTechs conversion kit and trail team edition FJ cruiser springs from Oreilly's. Total cost was roughly $350. I did the work myself. This is how it sits now.

Did you have to do any modifications? Or was it all plug and play kinda deal? What year fj did u get the springs from? Ive been reading that fj cruiser coils work good, but that i may have to weld on a stop for the bottom side of the spring to keep it from rotating?
Old 02-12-16, 10:37 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bails
Did you have to do any modifications? Or was it all plug and play kinda deal? What year fj did u get the springs from? Ive been reading that fj cruiser coils work good, but that i may have to weld on a stop for the bottom side of the spring to keep it from rotating?
No welding needed. Metaltech4x4.com sells it.
Old 02-12-16, 11:58 AM
Bails
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Morphyne
No welding needed. Metaltech4x4.com sells it.
Perfect. Appreciate the help guys. I try to do most of my repairs on my own, costs to much to take it in. Did you replace the shocks as well? Or are you using the oem shocks? Im looking at getting the conversion kit from metaltech for $60 or so and then getting 2010 fj cruiser coils for front and rear but im unsure if i should replace the shocks too, and if i should what kind to go with?
Old 02-12-16, 12:22 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bails
Perfect. Appreciate the help guys. I try to do most of my repairs on my own, costs to much to take it in. Did you replace the shocks as well? Or are you using the oem shocks? Im looking at getting the conversion kit from metaltech for $60 or so and then getting 2010 fj cruiser coils for front and rear but im unsure if i should replace the shocks too, and if i should what kind to go with?
The only thing different in my truck is the MetalTech conversion kit, including their bumpstops, and 2010 FJ Cruiser trail team edition springs out of a 2010. Everything else, including shocks, is stock.
Old 02-13-16, 08:34 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How are the FJC TT springs different.
Old 02-13-16, 09:10 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by co4wheel
How are the FJC TT springs different.
To be completely honest I don't know if they are. My logic at the time was I was pulling a small utility trailer with an ATV, did a lot of cross country expedition type traveling and off-roading, and thought they might give me a little more lift of perhaps have a spring rate better suited to what I put my truck through. In 2015, it was off road in 13 states alone. I think the end result was a bit more lift than the guys that swap in regular FJ springs get. A couple of the guys on Mud complained about the ride, but I think it's absolutely fantastic. It's all a matter of opinion though. My truck literally sits in the garage for most of the year unless I'm out off-roading or need to pull something. It had originally been a temporary repair when my compressor went out, but I fell in love with Arizona so much I decided this was the year I was going to move out there. I spend all my free time out west and really despise the winter. Otherwise, had I not been pinching pennies, it'd have a full Icon setup already.

Last edited by BlackCat81; 02-13-16 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 09:51 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbuck
I'm in the same boat as you guys with my '05. Had a Rear Height sensor replaced last summer, had the other one replaced this Feb, took it back in March because it still wasn't fixed and they found "a bent bracket" so they replaced that and said the car was "back to 100%." Still wasn't fixed so I took it in yesterday and they said they couldn't find anything nor replicate the problem. How convenient, the warranty expired exactly two weeks ago.

The car is leaning with the driver's side lower than the passenger side. The dealer confirmed this but said that it is only leaning 0.3 degrees and that is within their margin of error and that "no car is perfect." AWESOME - that's a great attitude. I'll keep telling that to myself when I send in my car payment every month.

I know it used to ride better and this isn't just in my head. I hit a bump on the highway the other day doing 65mph and it honestly threw my *** 1" above the seat. I was literally in mid-air for a split second. I don't know what to do next.
Shocks are a gradual wear item. There is no way for a person to see or feel the wear from the outside. Even after 5K miles they are worn to a degree. I had a Shock Engineer for Koni (a very respected company that make high performance racing and street shocks for cars) tell me that by 50K miles most factory shocks are done. They are not working close to what they should be but they are still visually fine and will not cause the care to bounce excessively in a bounce test. Shocks have high speed and low speed valving. Sounds like your high speed valving is toast to me. If you want your factory ride back I would consider if new shocks are worth the money.
Old 09-05-18, 05:37 PM
fig19
Rookie

(2003 GX470,208k mls)-

Without any warning my GX started bouncing like crazy.Took it in to independent repair shop for diagnosis and estimate.They informed me this bracket snapped,they were able to adjust it to get the airbags inflated and the ride is better.However,it is sitting very high,approx. 8" from tire to wheel well.The height adjustment switch has remained working the enitre time indicating "H" "N" "L" when intiated.
They did not want to replace it because the bolts are so rusty they worried they would snap off?(Not even sure if they had this part,could get it or knew what it was).They suggested taking it to dealership for service.No charge from them which is appreciated.
Can someone identify this part for me.Its near the rear right side height adjustment airbag.I thought it was the sensor but doesnt look like what I found online and is not attached to bag with any air or hydraulic tubes.
If this is bolt removal and replacement would the new one come with bolts if in fact they do snap off and is their any height adjustment programming to be done after replacement?
Once I know the name of this bracket I can look into DIY.

THX-

Quick Reply: Rear suspension issue - need advice