GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Trailer hitch for bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 07:41 AM
bobfehg470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer hitch for bike rack

My 2004 GX470 has what appears to be the top half of a 2" square hitch receptacle with two bolt holes on each side. I'm not sure if the bottom half is missing or is there available a hitch that can be used for bikes without
installing the standard trailer hitch that handles up to 5k pound loads?

Any info on bike hitches would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-09, 08:25 AM
bobinsofla
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through this myself and finally decided to purchase the lexus hitch. I couldn't find a solution like you're looking for. The lexus hitch is not cheap, and I use it mostly for carrying my bikes, but it was easy to install and I have already used it to tow a trailer while re-landscaping my yard.
Old 03-16-09, 08:37 AM
Linko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple other discussions on this same topic with some more detailed information, but here is crux. You likely have the tow prep package, which is the metal plate under the rear bumper where a 6500 lb hitch would attach if you had one. This is the piece that looks like the top half of a bumper-mounted hitch. Your GX is a model year where they actually made two kinds of hitches - a 5000 lb integrated version and the newer 6500 lb tubular style. Based on your description, it does not sound like you have the integrated version, since the hitch would definitely not be in two pieces. You could purchase the 5000 lb hitch from someone with a Toyota 4Runner or someone with an '03 or '04 GX who wants to part ways with theirs. This would attach in place of the plate that you describe. You would also likely have to purchase a new center bumper insert so that the hitch is accessible from the rear instead of being covered by that panel - it depends on what your rear bumper looks like (flat across, notched or the newer convex style).

I have an '06 GX and wanted a hitch for the same reason as you - no towing but for the bike rack. I ended up with a tubular style hitch from Curt that was much less expensive than the Lexus hitch. The main differences are that the Lexus part has better integration of the trailer light hookup and four additional bolts compared with the Curt. Neither of these should matter if you are only using the hitch for a bike rack.