GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Any Advice on the Lexus Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 04:06 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated in another post, I bought my warranty from a Toyota dealer, for the same $2100 dollar price. When it came in the mail, it said on the cover. "Lexus" extended warranty. I thought it was going to say "Toyota". With that warranty, you can take your truck/ car into any Lexus or Toyota dealer and they will honor it. I even had the option of paying for that warranty over a year time period, not in one lump some.

With regards to whether or not you should buy that waranty? I did because I have Nav and a few other options that could be expensive to repair. I also bought it for piece of mind, I was new to Lexus. The GX is similar to the 4 runner for a number of parts, so you don't have to take it in to a Toyota dealer and wait for parts under warranty. However, with the parts that are specific to Lexus, I would take it into a Lexus dealer.

I have been using, or will be using the Toyota dealer for normal service like brakes, changing fluids. My other goal is that I am on a waiting list for a newer Land Cruiser, which is similar to the Lexus LX.
Old 12-30-11, 10:15 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

To best of my knowledge, Lexus (even though issued by Toyota) warranty can't be used at Toyota dealership . I used my extended warranty to repair/replace stuff worth more than $2000.
Old 12-30-11, 12:57 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Clarification, The Lexus extended warranty can be used at a Toyotat dealership, if you car is past the normal warranty period by Lexus. 50,000 mile everything warranty and 70,000 mile drive train warranty. A Toyota dealership will not touch your car, until you are out of the Lexus warranty. I made an appointment for my thumb wheel on the dashboard, that regulates the dimmer control of the dash lights, and clicks to turn on the interior lights. My thumb wheel would not turn on the interior lights. The local Toyota dealership will be replacing that part under my extended warranty, since I have 60,000 miles on the car. I could have had Lexus dealership do this as well, but decided to skip the free dougnuts and coffee. The nicest thing about having the Toyota/ Lexus warranty, vs other extended warranties, is that you don't have to call the phone number first, which is required on "other" extended warranties.
Old 03-13-12, 07:17 AM
SportmanIL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have a 2009 ES350 with 17,000 miles on it. The lease is about to expire in April, 2012 and I'm considering buying the car. I live in Chicago but got a quote from a Toyota dealer in another state . The quote was for the Lexus Platinum Warranty with a zero deductable for:

6 year/70,000 miles - $735.00 - 7 year $1090 - 8 year - $1,220
6 year/100,000 miles - $1,100 - 7 year $1,375 - 8 year - $1,665
6 year/125,000 miles - $1,490 - 7 year $1,850 - 8 year - $2,335

He says the warranty is directly from Lexus & work can be done by any Lexus dealer in US or Canada.

Does this sould like a good deal?

Last edited by SportmanIL; 03-13-12 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-13-12, 07:51 AM
sickntired
Intermediate

SpormanIL: May I ask who you spoke to and what is their #? I would like to get an extended warranty for my GX later this year when my lease/warranty are up -- I too will be buying the truck
Old 03-13-12, 08:00 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

SportmanIL, you can buy the extended warranty at any time, before you go out of manufactures warranty. With the Lexus/ Toyota warranty it is tranferrable to anyone that buys the car, for a slight fee, or you can get some credit back, at that time of your sale if that extended warranty hasn't expired. I bought mine for the stated price, here on page 2.

Still a toss up for me. I have piece of mind that I have it, should something go wrong with the computer or nav or something else, but it is two thousand dollars. For me, it is $58.00 a month over three years, if you average it out As a general rule of thumb, extended warranties are money makers for the dealers. However the GX is pretty complex and parts are pricey.
Old 03-22-12, 03:10 PM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

can i buy an extended waranty if i am the second owner. or does the original owner i am buying the car from have to buy it. thanks jim
Old 03-22-12, 03:42 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes you can. You dont have to be the original owner to purchase a factory warranty from Toyota / Lexus.
Old 03-22-12, 03:55 PM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

the car i am thinking of buying is a 2006 400h with 47000 miles will i be able to buy a lexus waranty even though i will not be the original owner. i have heard conflicting answers. thanks jim
Old 03-22-12, 03:57 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

better get the car before 50k, after that lexus don't do warranty, gl
Old 03-23-12, 01:05 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Just make sure you understand that the warranty only covers FAILURE of a part, if it is malfunctioning, it will NOT cover it. I've had my *** full of Lexus on a few warranty issues and finally got them to agree to pay for 1/2. In my opinion, its not worth the paper its printed on....
Old 03-24-12, 01:23 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

jugdish, maybe you could explain one of those partial failures, that Lexus would not cover? Most people buy this warranty becaues they have nav, or other expensive options. As stated above, I initially bought it for piece of mind, knowing that FAILURE of a major component can be expensive. Being Toyota, how often does that happen. They will send you a copy of that warranty, so you can read it line for line, before you purchase it. Being a Lexus/ Toyota warranty, there is no "calling a head of time" for repairs, like you get with non Toyota extended warranties.

Reading about dealerships on this forum, there is a wide range of likes and dislikes. Some are more knowledgeable. Some seem to be rip off artists. Toyota knows their failure rate of components. Extended warranties, are one more item, that they have to sell, like paint sealant. They are going to make a profit on both. It all comes done to a personal decesion.

Last edited by Ancient; 03-24-12 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-27-12, 07:09 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Had a terrible odor coming from the HVAC system that got worse over a few months time. Took it to the Lexus dealer who told me the condenser was leaking causing mold to grow. I have the Lexus Platinum extended warranty so I figured I was fine. The dealer called Lexus to approve the work and the claim was denied. I was told by Lexus that the part was "malfunctioning" and has not failed so they would not cover a dime of the $1200 cost to fix. After many phone calls and research, I found a TSB that related to this issue (HVAC smell) and confronted Lexus. My warranty was 6 years 100k miles. When I took it to Lexus the truck was just short of 4 years old and had 79,000 miles. Lexus stood firm and stated no extended warranty coverage, even with the TSB. I finally spoke with "customer retention" and got them to do a "courtesy" coverage for 1/2 the amount after about 6 weeks of BS.

As far as I'm concerned, Lexus can kiss by ***. This is my second GX and my 4th Toyota..... I'm done after the experience I had. It's not like I was dealing with a third party warranty.... It was sold by Lexus, and they were trying to screw me.

Last edited by jugdish; 03-27-12 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-27-12, 08:19 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a Tundra that had the factory extended warranty and my front caliper was sticking, never failed (constantly stuck) and Toyota replaced it no questions asked and resurfaced the rotor too.

I would think a leaking condenser would be considered a failure, its not supposed to leak causing mold!? That sucks to hear about Lexus not covering it.
Old 04-04-12, 07:33 AM
jaysus
Driver School Candidate

Default buying a warranty...

so i'm getting ready to buy an '08 is350 (46k miles) and i've read through a couple threads researching warranty info and just wanted to hear any stories anyone has on warranties they've purchased on similar vehicles. it seems like troy & jerry are the go to guys for the best deals. if anyone has additional insight or advice i'd really appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Any Advice on the Lexus Extended Warranty