GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 gx470, initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 09:32 PM
LIGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 gx470, initial impressions

I picked up a 2006 GX off lease with 25k miles in black with gray leather interior. 3rd row seats removed immediately, Thule roof rack installed for bikes/snowboards, front and rear guards installed at dealer.

Dislikes: Driver seat a bit uncomfortable - the sides ride up too high and the back contour not ergonomic. I've been driving Grand Cherokee Limiteds for the past 9 years and those seats were more comfortable.

Anyone else experience this?

Also: too much wasted space in the console area, not enough storage for keys, wallet, etc. other than the main console unit.

The armrests are not wide enough, I'm going to have them doubled in width by a Custom car shop here on Long Island.

I like how the back door swings side to side; that will work well in summer when surfboards are on the roof.

The nav, rear camera, telescopic wheel, sound system all work well.

So there it is, my first post.
Old 03-07-09, 09:02 AM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

I've got a similar '03 GX - black/grey, removed 3rd row immediately, have Thule rack.

I don't have surfboards, but - for me - the swinging door is awkward when towing my dinghy!

Looked at an '09 at the dealership the other day and the only difference I could spot was they moved the 4WD transfer button. They've obviously put no effort into improving the ergonomics - the '09 still has those whacky "mode" buttons in the slot above the center console!
Old 03-09-09, 06:40 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LIGX
Dislikes: Driver seat a bit uncomfortable - the sides ride up too high
If I think I understand you correctly, the seat can move up and down. On the side there is a button to lower and rise the height of the seat. Give that a try!
Old 03-09-09, 08:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think he is saying that the side support on the side of the seat bottom is too high. His old Grand Cherokee is almost like a bench seat, no side support what so ever. I had a 98 Grand Cherokee and the driver seat were one of the worst I have ever seat in.
Old 03-09-09, 03:31 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I bought a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited new back in 99 and the seats in those things were very soft. Like an old worn in sofa. So yes, the GX seats are a bit firmer but nothing like a MB or BMW.
Old 03-09-09, 11:12 PM
outbound04
Driver School Candidate

We just bought a 04-GX and did not find the seats uncomfortable. There is sufficient adjustment on the driver seat to get comfortable in. Wish the driver side has the tilt adjustments as well. We also did find the heated seats not that hot, luke warm at best.
Old 03-10-09, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

All Lexus heated seats are like that, not as hot as German cars. The passenger heat need more adjustment and both front seats needs a lumber support that adjust up and down.
Old 03-10-09, 07:10 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to CL.

I owned a 1994 GC Limited and previous to my GX a 2002 GC Overland. I will admit, the seats in the Overland were real nice and comfortable, the 1994, not so much. That said, I like the seats in the GX, firm and supportive and I like the captain's chair armrest which neither of my GC's had. My only complaint is that the seats are a bit too short in the seat area so they tend to hit me mid hamstring and at times it feels like it starts to cut off circulation on long trips, but I have that complaint about most Japanese cars that I have driven. I had to play with my seat adjustments for a while to get them just right. Try using the lumbar support which adds a little more support in the lower back area.

I will take the Lexus realibility over Chrysler's comfortable seats any day though. I had more problems with my Overland, from brakes to a minor transmission rebuild at 70k mi, which prompted me to dump it and buy the GX.

Funny you say you like the tailgate door, it seems that is the biggest complaint about the GX.
Old 03-10-09, 08:39 AM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

I do agree with the lack of usable space in the gx. We previously had the lx and it was way better. It can actually be easily fixed (by Lexus) if they would raise the center running stack. If they raised it by a few inches we could have more cubby holes and a proper center console box and not have to reach so far and down for the seat warmers and not have a really long gear stick either. Bringing everything up higher would create more space for compartments. Anyways I bought this thing from Target that holds a bunch of stuff and is a great fit. Let me know if anyone else has something else useful like this in their cabin.
Attached Thumbnails 2006 gx470, initial impressions-gx-interior.jpg  
Old 03-10-09, 07:33 PM
LIGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think he is saying that the side support on the side of the seat bottom is too high. His old Grand Cherokee is almost like a bench seat, no side support what so ever. I had a 98 Grand Cherokee and the driver seat were one of the worst I have ever seat in.
The GX seat base is short and the sides ride up too high.. the Grand Cherokee seats were way more comfortable. I am 6'4, not morbidly obese either!
Old 03-10-09, 07:41 PM
LIGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
Welcome to CL.

I owned a 1994 GC Limited and previous to my GX a 2002 GC Overland. I will admit, the seats in the Overland were real nice and comfortable, the 1994, not so much. That said, I like the seats in the GX, firm and supportive and I like the captain's chair armrest which neither of my GC's had. My only complaint is that the seats are a bit too short in the seat area so they tend to hit me mid hamstring and at times it feels like it starts to cut off circulation on long trips, but I have that complaint about most Japanese cars that I have driven. I had to play with my seat adjustments for a while to get them just right. Try using the lumbar support which adds a little more support in the lower back area.

I will take the Lexus realibility over Chrysler's comfortable seats any day though. I had more problems with my Overland, from brakes to a minor transmission rebuild at 70k mi, which prompted me to dump it and buy the GX.

Funny you say you like the tailgate door, it seems that is the biggest complaint about the GX.
Great reply. I love the ride and reliability of the GX, but the seats are just too short and poorly designed. Regarding the tailgate door, I had the surfboard on the roof this past weekend and it was truly a pleasure!