GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 09:16 PM
Judson951
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the best threads ever! Thanks!
Old 03-02-16, 12:03 PM
Riflman
Driver School Candidate

This thread is old but wanted to add to it. I'm hard of hearing, especially my left ear, and find the navigation voices very hard to hear when I have the stereo on, even while low. While trying to the navigation override detailed on this thread (which by the way didn't work for me in my 2005), I discovered that you can increase the volume of the navigation voices. Go to Menu, then Volume. Turn off Auto (which raises and lowers it with speed) and turn it up to the setting you want. I put it at the highest setting and it is WAY better for me. I can finally hear the damn prompts.

While we're here. Does anyone know how to turn the damn courtesy lights in the doors off when motor is off and key is out? I have killed my battery twice while working not he damn car. Turning all the interior light map, dome and cargo switches to "off" does not work. Door and running board lights stay on when doors are open. This drives me crazy.
Old 03-02-16, 02:15 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Use painter's tape to put a plastic plate or cover over the door switches??
(to spread the force across a wider area so the tape will hold)

Chip H.
Old 03-04-16, 05:40 AM
glassmanj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i mentioned this in another thread but when you use the auto rain sensor wipers, on the wiper column stick, use the intermittent wiper speed adjust to set how quickly the auto wipers will engage. you'll see on the column stick on the right that on the intermittent speed adjust it says the word AUTO. works the same way, when you want the auto wipers to engage quicker i believe you turn it to the ( - ) negative means less time in between and if you want them to wait longer to engage turn to the ( + ) positive. hopefully i got that right. but if it seems the auto doesn't always engage at the same time it is probably because you've adjusted the intermittent speed without realizing it also adjusts the auto speed.
Old 03-06-16, 03:39 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by glassmanj
i mentioned this in another thread but when you use the auto rain sensor wipers, on the wiper column stick, use the intermittent wiper speed adjust to set how quickly the auto wipers will engage. you'll see on the column stick on the right that on the intermittent speed adjust it says the word AUTO. works the same way, when you want the
auto wipers to engage quicker i believe you turn it to the ( - ) negative means less time in between and if you want them to wait longer to engage turn to the ( + ) positive. hopefully i got that right. but if it seems the auto doesn't always engage at the same time it is probably because you've adjusted the intermittent speed without realizing it also adjusts the auto speed.
With the the rain sensor, that dual adjusts the sensitivity of the sensor to the amount of rain, I thought. With the the wiper on auto...no water, no wipe. If you pull the plug on the rain sensor it adjusts the time between wipes.
Old 03-06-16, 05:52 AM
glassmanj
Driver

at alan553, not quite sure what your comment means but to give additional clarification on the auto wipers, the purpose of the auto wipers is so that you don't have to constantly adjust the speed of your wipers as the rain gets harder or lighter. when on AUTO, there is a sensor in front of your rear view mirror that detects water windshield. the sensor detects the water and it's amount and determines the wiper speed for you. very light rain, wipers will go on intermittently. more steady rain they switch to being on at the low speed. and on downpours they switch to the highest wiper speed. this way as a driver you never have to use the column stick to adjust your wipers while driving, the AUTO function does that for you. and if you use the AUTO setting and there is no water the wipers will not engage until there is water detected.

the AUTO function is engaged when you click the wiper column stick down into the first position. it goes AUTO - INTERMITTENT - LOW - HIGH. when on AUTO, and it starts raining, the sensor will eventually detect enough water on the windshield to engage the wipers.

now on the same wiper column stick, there is a dial that allows you to adjust the speed at which in intermittent wipers trigger. you can adjust the time in between each cycle of the wiper. towards the (-) sign on the dial means less time before the wipers engage, towards the (+) sign more time before the wipers engage.

now when you use the AUTO wipers, this same dial adjusts the rain sensor as to when the AUTO wipers kick in. if you have the dial set to (-) the wipers will kick in when there is less water on the windshield detected and thus they kick in quicker and there will be less time in between each cycle. thus, less water accumulates on your windshield.

if you set the dial to (+) it will take longer for the AUTO wipers to engage. more water will accumulate on your windshield before the wipers work. allan553 says that the sensor has more sensitivity to the water, i simply say it allows more or less time to engage the wipers. either way, the point is the dial on the column stick adjusts how quickly the wipers will engage during light rain conditions. they do not adjust how quickly the low and hi wipers engage, just how quick the intermittent wipers range. the AUTO detects the same amount of rain whether on - or +, the dial decides how long before the wipers kick in.

so for me, we never turn the wipers on to anything but AUTO. we never adjust the wiper speed. AUTO does it for us.
Old 03-06-16, 12:26 PM
memokc
Rookie

at alan553, not quite sure what your comment means but to give additional clarification on the auto wipers, the purpose of the auto wipers is so that you don't have to constantly adjust the speed of your wipers as the rain gets harder or lighter. when on AUTO, there is a sensor in front of your rear view mirror that detects water windshield. the sensor detects the water and it's amount and determines the wiper speed for you. very light rain, wipers will go on intermittently. more steady rain they switch to being on at the low speed. and on downpours they switch to the highest wiper speed. this way as a driver you never have to use the column stick to adjust your wipers while driving, the AUTO function does that for you. and if you use the AUTO setting and there is no water the wipers will not engage until there is water detected.

the AUTO function is engaged when you click the wiper column stick down into the first position. it goes AUTO - INTERMITTENT - LOW - HIGH. when on AUTO, and it starts raining, the sensor will eventually detect enough water on the windshield to engage the wipers.

now on the same wiper column stick, there is a dial that allows you to adjust the speed at which in intermittent wipers trigger. you can adjust the time in between each cycle of the wiper. towards the (-) sign on the dial means less time before the wipers engage, towards the (+) sign more time before the wipers engage.

now when you use the AUTO wipers, this same dial adjusts the rain sensor as to when the AUTO wipers kick in. if you have the dial set to (-) the wipers will kick in when there is less water on the windshield detected and thus they kick in quicker and there will be less time in between each cycle. thus, less water accumulates on your windshield.

if you set the dial to (+) it will take longer for the AUTO wipers to engage. more water will accumulate on your windshield before the wipers work. allan553 says that the sensor has more sensitivity to the water, i simply say it allows more or less time to engage the wipers. either way, the point is the dial on the column stick adjusts how quickly the wipers will engage during light rain conditions. they do not adjust how quickly the low and hi wipers engage, just how quick the intermittent wipers range. the AUTO detects the same amount of rain whether on - or +, the dial decides how long before the wipers kick in.

so for me, we never turn the wipers on to anything but AUTO. we never adjust the wiper speed. AUTO does it for us.
. Never knew or missed with that plus or minus dial and always hated how sensitive the wipers were and I noticed it was on the highest position on the negative end. Switched it to one click above the positive side. That is going to be nice & it's supposed to rain this week in NW OKC. Thanks for the tip!!
Old 03-06-16, 05:35 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Thanks for that info, I am on my second GX, have owned one for 12 years...I guess I never figured out how to use the wipers because I put Aquapel on my glass and rarely use them, and recently disconnected the rain sensor because it is annoying. Now it operates just like your basic intermittent wipers. I choose the frequency with the - + dial.
Old 03-10-16, 07:45 AM
glassmanj
Driver

allen, if disconnecting the sensor made things better for you than most likely you have a faulty sensor that needs to be replaced. but if you had a good sensor, the auto function as well as the intermittents would all work. it seems you disconnected your sensor so your intermittents would work. that's the symptom of a bad sensor
Old 03-10-16, 09:38 AM
ALAN553
Racer

The sensor judges the amount of raindrops. you control the sensitivty to how much rain....there is no intermittant choice with the auto rain sensing feature. the sensor wipes too frequently...at least with it disconnected it switches over to the standard system...you control the frequency with the + or -. my sensor does work. I have had a GX since 2003, this is my second one, its an 09...works the same way as my other one. sensors had been changed following windshield replacement...just dont like the feature.
Old 03-11-16, 05:23 AM
glassmanj
Driver

hi alan, my apologies, i was incorrect. i am getting my wife's 2006 rx400h confused with my 2006 gx470. the gx470 wiper stalk switch goes OFF - AUTO - LOW - HI, so as alan indicated, he disconnected the rain sensor so that the auto no longer works and it turns into intermittent wipers instead. i got confused because on my wifes rx 400h the stalk goes off- auto - int - lo - hi. on her's you get the choice between auto and intermittent and i guess i never realized the gx isn't the same. sorry about that alan.

i wonder if you could replace stalks with one from an rx.
Old 03-11-16, 11:37 AM
bhendron
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Makakio
Have some fun: go to any Toyota/Lexus indy, have them plug into your GX's computer and get rid of annoyances (auto-lock on doors) plus turn on cool features (one-press unlock, etc). There's something like 12 pages of menu items to scroll through and all kinds of variations on operation, lighting, etc. Very customizable.

Is there anyway owners can do this themselves?
Old 03-11-16, 02:27 PM
ALAN553
Racer

hi alan, my apologies, i was incorrect. i am getting my wife's 2006 rx400h confused with my 2006 gx470. the gx470 wiper stalk switch goes OFF - AUTO - LOW - HI, so as alan indicated, he disconnected the rain sensor so that the auto no longer works and it turns into intermittent wipers instead. i got confused because on my wifes rx 400h the stalk goes off- auto - int - lo - hi. on her's you get the choice between auto and intermittent and i guess i never realized the gx isn't the same. sorry about that alan.

i wonder if you could replace stalks with one from an rx.
No problem...ya had me running out to the garage in the middle of the night to see if I have been missing something all these years...as usual wife thought I was nuts.
Old 03-11-16, 04:41 PM
jmwhitti
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. I just purchased an older GX470 and enjoyed reading through these tips.
Old 03-11-16, 04:51 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmwhitti
Great thread. I just purchased an older GX470 and enjoyed reading through these tips.
Just curious: What year/miles and how much?

Quick Reply: GX470 Secrets