GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Just picked up my GX470... mod options???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 11:52 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up my GX470... mod options???

Just picked up a 2006 GX470, Nautical blue.

I'm loving this thing... but I also love to mod my vehicles. I'm not having much luck finding parts/places to get stuff. Are there any companies that specialize in parts for these vehicles? Where do I look?

What are people doing to their GX's?

I like the 18" 4runner rim look...I think that's a good place to start...but what about bull bars or other off road stuff? Are there other rims/tires (besides the FJ) that look good and fit on these rigs?

I'm going to do the Ipod hook up...tint the front windows and possibly get the bull bar up front.

Is there anything else to do?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by DrVolkl; 01-31-09 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-31-09, 07:32 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Outside of the wheels and suspension that you already mentioned, I say RSES and HIDs.

Sweet blue color by the way! Is that a light or dark gray interior?

PICS or it didn't happen - LOL.
Old 01-31-09, 09:59 AM
DrVolkl
Rookie

I thought the car already had HID's on it?

...and pardon my newbness, but what is RSES?

I made a mistake, it's a 2006 with the ivory interior.

Has the ML audio, but not the rear DVD.

I think it has everything else as far as I can tell. Lots of buttons and gadgets, I'm still working my way thru the owners manual.

I'll take some pics soon, but it's pretty boring...your basic stock blue GX470!
Old 01-31-09, 07:58 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

RSES - Rear Seat Entertainment System aka rear DVD. 3rd row seat is an option, as is nav. KDSS is a suspension option with a light on the dashboard that lights up on atart up. Outside of that, I think the options are small time stuff, like hitch, wheel locks, etc. Check out lexus.com for a listing by year.
Old 01-31-09, 09:29 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Ok, well it has the third row seat and nav... I'll check for the KDSS. It has the 4 suspension settings and the height thing, but that might be standard.

No tow hitch...so that should basically cover it.

I plan on doing a few things to it, so pics to follow for sure. It is a pleasure to drive...very smooth.
Old 01-31-09, 09:35 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

HIDS from Xenon Depot, they rock and its a perfect fit for any GX470--

JohnnyRad--You got your HIDS yet?
Old 01-31-09, 10:23 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Booyah
HIDS from Xenon Depot, they rock and its a perfect fit for any GX470--

JohnnyRad--You got your HIDS yet?
So the lights on the car aren't HID's? That's nuts, because I swore they were. I guess I'll start looking for a kit. Nice projectors tho!
Old 01-31-09, 10:44 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Unless the previous owner put them on but NO they are just Halogen projectors! Go to Xenondepot.com they are easy Plug and play and are awesome!! For $269 they are a steal and the best upgrade ever!! 2 hours tops for you to install them. Best thing is with the projectors the plug in HIDS are perfect and the cutoff is Perfect no blinding light or glare--they are simply beautiful
Old 02-01-09, 05:35 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to CL. You've got good taste!
Old 02-01-09, 10:04 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Looks like they're having a special for $119. Which bulbs do I need to get?

I can't wait to get some rims/tires...but the ones that are on there have a bit of life left, so it'll be a few months.
Old 02-01-09, 10:19 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

You need the H11 bulbs--4300K will give you the whitest brightest light, same as you see on the Lexus Rx350/BMW's ect...
Old 02-02-09, 10:17 AM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Thanks! Yeah, 4300 is what I ran on my older NSX when I updated it. I don't like anything higher (6k) because it ends up being too blue.
Old 02-02-09, 11:12 AM
Josh's GX
Rookie

Welcome to CL, great choice on your SUV, Nautical Blue was my first pick, but when it wasn't an option, I went with black.

XenonDepot is definately the place to buy your HID's from. Steve there is top notch and provides outstanding service. I went with the 4300K kit and it was extremely easy to install. Much better light output than the stock headlights. Good luck on the mods.
Old 02-02-09, 12:23 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Josh's GX
Welcome to CL, great choice on your SUV, Nautical Blue was my first pick, but when it wasn't an option, I went with black.

XenonDepot is definately the place to buy your HID's from. Steve there is top notch and provides outstanding service. I went with the 4300K kit and it was extremely easy to install. Much better light output than the stock headlights. Good luck on the mods.
Thanks. Yeah, the wife and I looked at a Nautical blue one about 2 years ago. We ended up getting a Honda Odyssey Touring instead...just needed the space. Well, I ended up getting the truck anyhow, just two years later. lol.

Only difference is that the one we looked at back then had some sort of "sport" package...I remember the car having some "smoked" accents, like the lights and rims. I hadn't come across any of those in my searches, but at least I got the exterior color we wanted.

I'm going to see if my friend can fab up the digital HID kit, if not, I'll go with xenon depot.
Old 02-02-09, 01:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Have you looked at this site, one of our CL sponsors, http://www.l-tunedparts.com/index.php?id=11

I have also been looking at the GX (and potential modifications) because my girlfriend and I may get one in the not-to-distant future (she's fallen in love with it), so much so that I took her to Lexus of West Kendall this afternoon to get a closer look. I haven't had the chance to really pick it over until today (because when I lived in Mexico we didn't have Lexus), but I really came away very impressed and our salesperson (Ernie) showed us every last little bell and whistle, exactly what I expect when I walk into any dealer. I think I could even do a lot of custom accessories like I have done with my RX300, because I do like some of the things I have seen on Prados overseas.

Quick Reply: Just picked up my GX470... mod options???