GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

'04 GX470 Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 06:25 AM
RChan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 GX470 Cranks but won't start

My GX cranks but won't start. I have already replaced batteries of the keys and also used the supplied emergency key with card. Car icon disappears when key is inserted, engine turns but won't start. Is there any way to reset the computer? By the way, I am in the Philippines and the local Lexus dealer just opened December '08 and they are not prepared to handle the GX as they only sell sedans and the LX. HELP!
Old 01-28-09, 07:47 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Does the car turn over at all? Do you hear anything when you turn the key? Do your dash lights come on? If not could be a bad battery. If everything lights up, make sure your truck is in "park." If it is perhaps it is not engaging, try turning the key to on position, press brake peddal put truck in neutral/drive and back to park. Then retry starting it.
Old 01-28-09, 08:34 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

only advice i have is to check ALL the fuses (engine and under dash)
Old 01-28-09, 10:11 AM
molexGS400
Rookie

if the car cranks i would say you may have a theft deterent issue. on the supplied "card key " did you hold the arrow on the card next to the ignition cylinder? were the keys working normally and now they just stopped?

cranking would almost confirm battery ok / starter ok . very few fuel or spark issues on a 04. i would start with the basics and lean towords a key/theft deterent issue.
Old 01-28-09, 10:27 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the battery - it is probably bad and needs to be replaced. The GX will do just as you describe when the battery gets too low to start the car. It will crank and the radio may still work.
Old 01-28-09, 01:06 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by molexGS400
if the car cranks i would say you may have a theft deterent issue. on the supplied "card key " did you hold the arrow on the card next to the ignition cylinder? were the keys working normally and now they just stopped?

cranking would almost confirm battery ok / starter ok . very few fuel or spark issues on a 04. i would start with the basics and lean towords a key/theft deterent issue.
The truck should not turn-over at all if it's a problem related to the security system and the ignition disabler. I am betting it is a bad battery as CdeFabio mentioned. Any takers?! It's an '04 and if he's never had the battery changed it's about due. It's common when the battery begins to fail it will not retain enough charge to drive the starter to turnover the engine. If when you turn the ignition key to the "Start" position and nothing happens, or all you hear is just a click, or the starter cranks very slow then you probably have a problem with one of the components of the starting system. Most often, it's the battery or the starter motor itself.

OP needs to provide more details...

Last edited by cssnms; 01-28-09 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 02:45 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I had this problem with my 99 SC....Car will not start but cranks just fine....It was a key transponder issue....did you just recenly changed your key? try another key that came with the car
Old 01-28-09, 04:19 PM
molexGS400
Rookie

Originally Posted by cssnms
The truck should not turn-over at all if it's a problem related to the security system and the ignition disabler. I am betting it is a bad battery as CdeFabio mentioned. Any takers?! It's an '04 and if he's never had the battery changed it's about due. It's common when the battery begins to fail it will not retain enough charge to drive the starter to turnover the engine. If when you turn the ignition key to the "Start" position and nothing happens, or all you hear is just a click, or the starter cranks very slow then you probably have a problem with one of the components of the starting system. Most often, it's the battery or the starter motor itself.

OP needs to provide more details...

the car cranks.... the theft deterent system would allow the ignition to crank the engine.... but with no transponder info from key to ecu the car would not start.. try an alternate key or follow the instructions on the key card holding the printed arrow next to the ignition before turning the skeleton key.
Old 01-28-09, 04:57 PM
RChan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all of your advises. I have tried all of the above suggestions and have also checked the car's battery. Used a cable to make a series with my other car, it still won't start.
Old 01-28-09, 06:30 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RChan
Thanks to all of your advises. I have tried all of the above suggestions and have also checked the car's battery. Used a cable to make a series with my other car, it still won't start.
DARN!!!!! I honestly hope you paralleled the batteries + to + and - to -
If you series them + to - you really had some fireworks and no wonder the truck will not start.
Old 01-28-09, 07:30 PM
RChan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by herbvdh
DARN!!!!! I honestly hope you paralleled the batteries + to + and - to -
If you series them + to - you really had some fireworks and no wonder the truck will not start.
Yes. I did + to + and - to -. also used all the other keys supplied and still nothing. I love this car but am really surprised to have encountered a problem that has me stumped. I have disconnected the battery terminals and will wait for 24 hours and reconnect them. I hope the ECU will "forget" the problem by then.
Old 02-24-09, 01:18 PM
denisT
Driver School Candidate

so what did you end up doing to solve your problem. because i am having exactly the same problem. i used a jump start machine and still nothing. i also used the skeleton key. please help!!!!!
Old 03-25-09, 11:56 PM
Racing AZ
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem and found this forum while searching the net. It turned out to be the battery. I just found out that the battery does not completely go dead and the lights, radio, ac, etc. would still work with a dying battery but won't be able to start the car anymore. One way to check this is with a volt meter. It either would not register a reading or just barely register a low reading. Try to jump start the car with another car but that other car would need to be running. It would not start if you simply attach the jumper cables to the other car.

I was ready to call in a tow truck to take it to the dealership. Saved me some major bucks. This thread gave me some ideas to troubleshoot. Thanks and I hope my post will help others in the future.
Old 03-26-09, 01:39 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok here is what you need to do. Just try out another set of new battery, if it still fails. Then it is the alternator starter contact. I think you have a bad set on contacts on your starter, you can pick them up for less than 30.00 at you friendly toyota dealer taking the starter out is about a 3-4 hr job complete and i would suggest any competent mechanic can do, it if not yourself. If you go for a new one it is around 200/-$ from autozone. I do not know from the dealer how much it cost, but one thing for sure you need to have the scan tool, as the fuel setting get reset.
Old 03-26-09, 06:46 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RChan
Car icon disappears when key is inserted, engine turns but won't start.
As stated in the original post the engine turns over, but it won't start. So it's neither the starter or the battery. If the battery was weak, it wouldn't turn over the engine (well, at least not for long). If it was the starter, it would only make a clicking or some other noise, or not at all, but it would definitely not turn the engine over. It probably is not a transponder key, as the key icon goes away. He also stated that he tried other keys to the same effect. Well in this case it boils down to 3 simple items: fuel, air, spark. Obvious one: do you have fuel in your tank? Do not rely on the fuel gage, as it may have gone bad. Get a gas can and go get some fuel. Two: check your air filter and check for any obstructions in the air intake area. Also check for a banana in the tail pipe - no kidding. Think how you feel when you are backed up . Three: Spark, that's a tough one. Any problems in this department require a trip to the mechanic, as it may be your ignition coil, ECU, etc. In either case, since most of the engine functionality is controlled by the ECU, you probably will have to pull the engine trouble codes to see what's going on.

Quick Reply: '04 GX470 Cranks but won't start