GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

'04 GX470 Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 08:07 PM
genoc007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Lexus GX 470 ran hot today now it turns over but it wont start. does anyone have any ideas? Am i in big trouble?
Old 06-21-09, 03:34 AM
OGY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RChan
My GX cranks but won't start. I have already replaced batteries of the keys and also used the supplied emergency key with card. Car icon disappears when key is inserted, engine turns but won't start. Is there any way to reset the computer? By the way, I am in the Philippines and the local Lexus dealer just opened December '08 and they are not prepared to handle the GX as they only sell sedans and the LX. HELP!

I ran into the same problem when I changed out the bateries to the FOB. Went through all the checks listed below and it all came down to... With your key near the ignition, press the arm button and once all the doors lock, press the disarm. Stick your key in and it should start. If that does not work then put your key in the ignition and do the same steps. All this on the premise that the FOB arms and disarms the system. Good luck.
Old 05-08-10, 05:41 PM
kelvinb
Driver School Candidate

Default 94 LS intermittently won't start

I have a 94 Lexus LS400 which starting last night would not start even w/1 yo battery and 1yo alternator. I accidently left the lights on only for about 5 minutes as I went into the store. When I came out and tried to start it, it gave me one weak crank and then started clicking. I got a jump and as I drove home the battery light in the dash was on. As I pulled into my parking space and turned the engine off, it would not start once again. I jumped it this morn and drove it to my mechanic, aboout a 10 minute drive. When I arrived I turned the engine off, and restarted it immediately. The crank was normal this time. The mechanic could not attend to the car right away so I went to lunch, came back 40 minutes later, and once again it started right up. I told the mechanic, maybe the battery was low and just needed to be recharged by the alternator. With that I got in the car, it started perfectly, and drove off (to my client's home) literally across the boulevard from the mechanic's shop. When I got it there, I turned it off and tried starting it again, and got a dead crank. Jumped it, took it back to the mechanic, where it sat for about 2 hours. He turned the ignition, and it started right up. Checked the alternator, and found the voltage to be good. Checked the battery, and found it needed some charging. After charging the battery, he tried to start it, and got the dead crank. The problem is hit and miss, what could be causing it?
Old 05-08-10, 09:24 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

You do have sometimes the alternator due to the fact that When the electromagnet is not energized, the spring pulls the armature away and the circuit and this is not complete. Primarily the fault would be at the Ignition Relay, You will have the crank working, but the juice does not flow. Check the stuff which is within the Fuse box, and replace if neccessary.
Old 07-04-16, 06:16 AM
THOMASK33
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully if anyone has this issue in the future just let the car sit for awhile...the power has drained from some source in the AC position....unfortunately I have 2 GX470 (03 and 08) and they both did the identical thing....I had the AC listening to the radio....turned the car off when I came back out afterwards car would not start.........talked on the phone while in AC mode; turned the car off came back out afterwards the car would not start . So, I know there is a flaw in the car...$1700 on ECU and another $100 for a fuse before trading to the 08 version only to have it happen it again...SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-16, 12:29 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

So, you had a power draw because you had the key in the Acc position for an extended time, that drained the battery. And this caused you to spend $1700 on a new ECU? Help me understand the diagnosis that resulted in this.

Chip H.
Old 07-04-16, 05:13 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
So, you had a power draw because you had the key in the Acc position for an extended time, that drained the battery. And this caused you to spend $1700 on a new ECU? Help me understand the diagnosis that resulted in this.

Chip H.
That's a much friendlier way of saying what I was thinking...
Old 07-05-16, 06:21 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

My first thought is that the repair shop ripped him off to the tune of a few thousand dollars.

Chip H.
Old 07-11-16, 04:56 AM
THOMASK33
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Your first thought is correct... Toyota ripped me off..because initially I thought it was the battery but when they came to jump me off..it wasn't the battery, therefore I had to have it towed to Toyota...which at that time they did a diagnostic and that was their determination. Paid the the money, not 30 days later it happened again...but I still did not put 2 and 2 together (first time I was sitting in parking lot listening to the radio, went in to court came back our and it wouldn't start.. 2nd time I was in a parking lot listening to the radio, went in to eat and came back out and it wouldn't start) had it towed and it started right up for the dealer......next time it died in the middle of the road (luckily I was in my subdivision).......that time they put a fuse in for $100 and I traded the vehicle the same day..................I didn't realize the commonality until my 2008 did the exact same thing...
Old 06-04-20, 09:52 PM
Abduljacob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
Does the car turn over at all? Do you hear anything when you turn the key? Do your dash lights come on? If not could be a bad battery. If everything lights up, make sure your truck is in "park." If it is perhaps it is not engaging, try turning the key to on position, press brake peddal put truck in neutral/drive and back to park. Then retry starting it.
it don't show check engine and charge battery light