GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

After market double din GPS/DVD/MP3 player install

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-08, 08:54 AM
charlie@jd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market double din GPS/DVD/MP3 player install

After market double din GPS/DVD/MP3 player install.
I installed a double din Eclipse AVN5500 in my none navi'd GX470. It was a lot of research and information wasn't really available. I thought it was impossible to do, never the less I did it and completed the task.

Things you need:
This is an adapter kit for a none navi gx470. It's really for sequioa's and 4 runners but it works for the gx470 6 disc in dash changers (jbl system).
You only have to connect 4 wires. acc, batt, remote on for the amp and ground. the kit has 2 pairs of RCA for your headunit's output and a power box/converter. sorry i didn't take detailed picture but this is the kit i got:
ty10:

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=TYTO-01

Toyota oem bezel from a prado. you can order it through beatsonic usa. It takes about 4 days to get here from Japan. I also ordered one from my friend in Australia which hasn't arrived yet. So I'll have an extra bezel whenever it gets here.

tools:
10mm socket, philips screw driver and a flat head. be very careful with the tabs.

Follow this link for removal of the headunit panels/trims. (I didn't write this up, I just found it and it's dead on)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-pictures.html

There are 4 10mm bolts and clips. Once the headunit is out plug the wire harness and wire up the 4 wires to your stereos acc, pwr, grnd and remote on. Plug the RCA and you're done!

If you have GPS that requires VSS, I'll update this post after x'mas since I have to wire mine up too. I'll keep you guys updated and I'll take pictures this time. Sorry.. I was excited and couldn't pause in between for pictures. But now I know how it works, I can go back and take photos of the install.

I spent about 160.00 for the kit and harness combined. The only down side is even at full volume the music isn't that loud. but it's alright... My long term is to actually over ride the amp and install my own amp. I just can't find where the factory amp is hiding.
Attached Thumbnails After market double din GPS/DVD/MP3 player install-tyto-01.jpg  
Old 12-24-08, 08:56 AM
charlie@jd
Pole Position

here's a picture of what it looks like after the install.
Attached Thumbnails After market double din GPS/DVD/MP3 player install-img00181.jpg  
Old 12-24-08, 08:57 AM
charlie@jd
Pole Position

one more pic.
Attached Thumbnails After market double din GPS/DVD/MP3 player install-img00183.jpg  
Old 12-24-08, 08:58 AM
charlie@jd
Pole Position

OK... my camera phone sucks. I'll take better pics after X'mas when I wire up my VSS. Feel free to email or PM me for questions. If I'm free and you're not too far, I'll help you install it.
Old 12-24-08, 10:49 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=charlie@jd;4109759]OK... my camera phone sucks.QUOTE]

Uh okay, I'll agree with you there. May I also recommend taking the pictures in the daylight?
Old 12-24-08, 11:11 AM
hoonami
Pole Position

can't wait til see decent pictures charlie...
how do u like your avn5500?
i was thinking about avn6620,ipod, backup camera setup...
how much did it cost you? how long did it take you to do the job?
Old 12-24-08, 12:05 PM
charlie@jd
Pole Position

^^ yeah sorry for the delay. i'll take better pics, weather is bad in LA right now.

let's see.. the avn5500 i've had for awhile now. i just installed it maybe around 600 plus the backup camera.

as far as the job, i'd say the hardest part is running the wires of the backup camera and the gps sensor. maybe total of 6 hrs if i had everything in hand would have been shorter. i'll post better pics when i find the vehicle speed sensor wire.
Old 12-30-08, 02:17 PM
charlie@jd
Pole Position

ok update... i still can't locate the vss wire for the gps to hook up to. the gps will work without the vss. but it's just more accurate with the vss.

also, the rear lcd doesn't turn on anymore. i need to find out how it's connected to the main head unit none navi. it has constant power, it gets turned by a remote switch from the head unit. i saw the wiring diagram.. but can't comprehend it. maybe anyone would know?
Old 01-25-09, 09:33 AM
lakes
Driver School Candidate

Hey charlie,

Nice to read a write-up. I am busy with the same. But my car is a Toyota Landcruiser 120. Same car. Few outside look differences.

Anyway,

Your previous head unit was that a original 6cd player? If so did you have 2 antenne cables? One for am and one for fm?

Then I would like to know how you connected them with your new head unit.

Thanx in advance.

PS how about the new pics?
Old 01-26-09, 08:36 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

when I did this type of mod for my GS 400, I found the VSS signal at the back of the speedometer. You may want to look at the wiring specs for the speedometer to see if there's something there you can use.
Old 02-02-09, 02:54 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Any pic updates?

Looks good thanks for the info. I'm planning on doing the same since I didn't get the Nav
Old 02-02-09, 09:43 PM
lakes
Driver School Candidate

One more thing.

I've ordered this one, in place of the TYTO01

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1122

With this one you can readjust the outpuy gain to the factory amplifier and you will not have this issue;

[quote=charlie@jd The only down side is even at full volume the music isn't that loud. but it's alright... My long term is to actually over ride the amp and install my own amp..QUOTE]

And you won't have to change the amp. It goes really loud now.

Btw the factory amp is located under the drivers seat. (though that's in a european prado/LC 120.
Old 02-04-09, 08:43 AM
charlie@jd
Pole Position

[QUOTE=lakes;4219091]One more thing.

I've ordered this one, in place of the TYTO01

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1122

With this one you can readjust the outpuy gain to the factory amplifier and you will not have this issue;

Originally Posted by charlie@jd The only down side is even at full volume the music isn't that loud. but it's alright... My long term is to actually over ride the amp and install my own amp..QUOTE

And you won't have to change the amp. It goes really loud now.

Btw the factory amp is located under the drivers seat. (though that's in a european prado/LC 120.
hey.. sorry i haven't gotten any pics lately. i didn't think anyone was interested. but yeah, the ty001 has gain output adjustment. i only noticed it after i actually read the manual. lol... then i said oooooooooooooooh ****. ok... now it's really really good. as for the antenna, there's a "y" adapter you can get. but the eclipse unit has 2 antenna outputs. so, no issues there.

the only thing is the vss.. but i really didn't need it. i am without the vss for the gps and it's been fine. the screen renders slower compared to the one with vss.
but the only real complain i have is my rear entertainment screen has no power. once i get that working, i'll be happy.

after this weekend, i'll try to get some better pics.
Old 03-14-09, 06:57 PM
NOLA911
Driver School Candidate

update? pics? Did you end up bypassing the amp? Was it under the seat?

What about steering wheel audio controls? Did you use the Pac Swips?
Old 04-24-10, 04:15 PM
vletnguyen
Driver School Candidate

I just did the install with my old avn 5435.
Did anyone figure out how to get the Rear entertainment system working?

What adapter did you use to hook up the rear camera, or did you use the eclipse one?

I know this thread is old, hopefully someone has the answers.

Quick Reply: After market double din GPS/DVD/MP3 player install