GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2008 gx 470 nav. system override help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 07:37 PM
ricnik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 gx 470 nav. system override help!

Hello,
Need to help with ML and rear DVD system bypass override while in motion. Please advise where and how can i get the info. Thanks.
Old 11-20-08, 07:56 AM
Gromet
Driver School Candidate

Hey Ricnik,

Just got my 08 GX470 abot a month ago... Love it, Did the Override myself, took about half an hour...

Very Easy,

Use this post as a reference to get to the back of the NAV.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/87880-dvd-override-and-pictures.html

There are a few connectors behind the nav screen, you are looking for the 26 pin connector.

Pull back the black Sheething around the wires once you disconnect the 26 pin connector. (It;s easy its just adhexise stick tape).

Find the Green wire in Pin 5 (This is the Parking Break wire)
Find the Violet with a red stripe in pin 19 (This is the Speed Sensor Wire *NOTE This is not the same speed sensor wire the nave uses for guidance, it is just there as a safety)

You are going to have to cut these two wires. Pull that black sheething down as far as you can so you can make the cut leaving some wire between your cut and the connector itself. I cut them about 2 1/2 or three inches from the connector.

Cut the Violet Red wire.

Cut the Green Wire.

Now you have to add a splice about 2 foot or so long. you need to add a piece of wire to the green wire you just cut, make sure you attach it to the connector side of the wire, not the side that leads into the black wrapping.

Not you have to attach the other end of the slice wire to a ground, I grounded mine to the metal where one of the 4 screws that hold the NAV unit screws in.

Your done... Do everything you did to get to the NAV unit in reverse to reassemble everything.

You will not have to engage the parking break anymore to get the "Picture" button to light up anymore, and it will not detect any speed anymore.

Enjoy!

Gromet
Old 11-20-08, 08:44 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gromet
Hey Ricnik,

Just got my 08 GX470 abot a month ago... Love it, Did the Override myself, took about half an hour...

Very Easy,

Use this post as a reference to get to the back of the NAV.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87880

There are a few connectors behind the nav screen, you are looking for the 26 pin connector.

Pull back the black Sheething around the wires once you disconnect the 26 pin connector. (It;s easy its just adhexise stick tape).

Find the Green wire in Pin 5 (This is the Parking Break wire)
Find the Violet with a red stripe in pin 19 (This is the Speed Sensor Wire *NOTE This is not the same speed sensor wire the nave uses for guidance, it is just there as a safety)

You are going to have to cut these two wires. Pull that black sheething down as far as you can so you can make the cut leaving some wire between your cut and the connector itself. I cut them about 2 1/2 or three inches from the connector.

Cut the Violet Red wire.

Cut the Green Wire.

Now you have to add a splice about 2 foot or so long. you need to add a piece of wire to the green wire you just cut, make sure you attach it to the connector side of the wire, not the side that leads into the black wrapping.

Not you have to attach the other end of the slice wire to a ground, I grounded mine to the metal where one of the 4 screws that hold the NAV unit screws in.

Your done... Do everything you did to get to the NAV unit in reverse to reassemble everything.

You will not have to engage the parking break anymore to get the "Picture" button to light up anymore, and it will not detect any speed anymore.

Enjoy!

Gromet
Gromet, does this also allow you to use (enter destinations, etc.) the nav system while driving?
Old 11-20-08, 07:31 PM
ricnik
Driver School Candidate

Gromet.
Not sure understand the step by step.
Violet red wire just cut and leave it there do nothing with it!
Also you said something about the green wire completely out of my mine.
Please explain if i am wrong.
("cut Violet wire and tapes both end.....Green wire cut the one from the connector ground to Nav. unit, the other end from black sheeting just tape and done!") Thanks.
Old 11-23-08, 10:02 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

The Parking brake wire is actually the green wire on Pin #8. After cutting the wire, I would then just splice the end still connected to connector (using splice connector like this) to the brown wire on pin #1 without cutting the brown wire. The brown wire is ground.

As for the violet wire, it is actually on pin #20, just cut it and tape both ends.

I just verified the pin info via Toyota's site: techinfo.toyota.com. You can get a daily or monthly subscription, and it's cheap.

This does NOT allow entry of destination into NAV while in motion -- there is currently no way to do this without doing more cutting like this which is for the RX 350 but the process is the same in the GX -- just need to find the corresponding wires

this diagram may help when picturing the M21 connector (the connector has 26 pins but it doesn't have wires going into each pin).
Attached Thumbnails 2008 gx 470 nav. system override help!-ecu.jpg  

Last edited by sickntired; 11-23-08 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-31-12, 09:11 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

hey guys so i just picked up an 08 certified pre-own today. glad to be back in the lexus. so which directions should i follow? i'm guessing i'll pick up a nav bypass from beat sonic and do this for the dvd bypass or should i just buy the nav and dvd bypass all together? too bad there is no way to add divx support.
Old 03-23-12, 01:34 AM
sourwich
Driver School Candidate

my car is 2008,i just cut Green wire and ground it,DVD worked.Now which wire i will connect with violet/red wire by switch to make Nav work?anybody know this?Im done my 3GS before so i knew we need connect violet/red to another wire.thanks
Old 03-23-12, 06:35 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

apparently that violet/red wire is a speed sensing safety feature only for the dvd playback.

The nav units uses a different speed signal wire, which would have to be cut and spliced into a switch that will allow you to turn the speed signal on and off. WHen its off, you should be able to enter a nav detiantion for a short time ( my is350 will recognize that its missing that speed signal after a minute or two and will make destination entry blocked out again. I can reset it by pressing the button on and off).

The gps will still track you, just not accurately, when your're done with your destiatnion entry, press the switch back to the speed sensor on. It'll take about 15-20 seconds but the nav will readjust and start tracking you correctly again.
Old 03-23-12, 06:12 PM
sourwich
Driver School Candidate

im thinking the violet/red wire is VSS (speed signal wire) and i think there are 2 VSS wire(1 go in and 1 out) so i need to looking for another wire and then connect 2 wire by switch,when it turn off we'll have short time to take action
Old 06-12-13, 12:26 PM
ElLoquito
Driver School Candidate

Just completed this change to my 2008 GX 470 and everything works perfectly. It took me about an hour, but I was probably going slower and being more cautious than most.

For the violet/red wire, I just cut it and taped both ends.

For the green wire, I cut it, attached a wire to the connector end of the green wire and taped the other end of the green wire. Then I attached the other end of the new splice wire to one of the 4 screws holding the NAV in the metal frame.

Much thanks to Gromit and sickntired for the excellent instructions!!!
Old 12-11-14, 09:25 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
The nav units uses a different speed signal wire, which would have to be cut and spliced into a switch that will allow you to turn the speed signal on and off.
Originally Posted by sourwich
there are 2 VSS wire(1 go in and 1 out) so i need to looking for another wire and then connect 2 wire by switch,when it turn off we'll have short time to take action
can someone confirm the color of the second VSS wire for the Navi which I should bypass to override the Navi inputs while in motion?
Old 01-07-15, 11:35 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

bueller?

10chars