GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GPS Navigation Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 04:26 AM
JeepinLaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sticking with my iphone for nav. The factory nav can't come close!
Old 05-30-13, 12:17 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepinLaw
I'm sticking with my iphone for nav. The factory nav can't come close!
Not true. It's nice looking but the factory nave is simple and works. It's allot safer as well then all the distractions of using the phone. I understand what you mean but I use the OEM navi.
Old 05-30-13, 07:40 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Not true. It's nice looking but the factory nave is simple and works. It's allot safer as well then all the distractions of using the phone. I understand what you mean but I use the OEM navi.
If your phone is properly mounted so it's viewable and accesible to the driver, how is it more distracting than the OEM in-dash nav? I find my factory nav to be completely useless and annoying, I kind of wish I didn't have it, although the backup camera is nice.
Old 05-30-13, 11:33 AM
Vims
Rookie

Originally Posted by infinirx
Yeah, compare to phone or my backup device Garmin the OEM is silly on its brain
it needs exactly matched address and if you miss for instance W or E in front of street that is it..
I hate it ... was fighting with that this morning
Old 05-30-13, 03:06 PM
JeepinLaw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
If your phone is properly mounted so it's viewable and accesible to the driver, how is it more distracting than the OEM in-dash nav? I find my factory nav to be completely useless and annoying, I kind of wish I didn't have it, although the backup camera is nice.
I completely agree!
Old 10-04-13, 11:07 AM
LexTrip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
The factory nav will never come close to the iphone map app in functionality, so I'd say no.
I would agree that the new smart phones are much easier to use BUT only if you have access to the internet and coverage.

Depends on what you are using on your phone... Usually the "free" navigation on a cell phone uses the internet to "match" locations, create routes and update/re-route..

Get out into BFE with no cell coverage and try to use your cell GPS to get home. It most likely will NOT work for you because no access to "google" to get the map and route you. A GPS with DOWNLOADED maps is much more "reliable". This can be your cell if you plan ahead and download the area where you will be but most of us do not do that.
Old 10-04-13, 11:58 AM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexTrip
I would agree that the new smart phones are much easier to use BUT only if you have access to the internet and coverage.

Depends on what you are using on your phone... Usually the "free" navigation on a cell phone uses the internet to "match" locations, create routes and update/re-route..

Get out into BFE with no cell coverage and try to use your cell GPS to get home. It most likely will NOT work for you because no access to "google" to get the map and route you. A GPS with DOWNLOADED maps is much more "reliable". This can be your cell if you plan ahead and download the area where you will be but most of us do not do that.
Not sure about iPhone folks.. In Android you can cache maps to use offline. So even if there is no cell coverage or internet, the maps will still work. You can cache quite a large area, almost up to 300 x 300 miles that will work with no connection needed.

I agree that maps on modern devices are WAY better than Lexus GPS by far.
Old 10-04-13, 12:37 PM
LexTrip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andreys
In Android you can cache maps to use offline.
Thats what I was talking about planing ahead...
Old 10-18-13, 08:21 AM
Dell08
Driver School Candidate

Hello,
I have lexus Es 2003 ... My Navigation is not work well After I move from California to Penn .... I would help me to find No of DVD update ...

Thnak you
Old 10-18-13, 08:32 AM
LexTrip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dell08
Hello,
I have lexus Es 2003 ... My Navigation is not work well After I move from California to Penn .... I would help me to find No of DVD update ...

Thnak you
Have you changed your "region"... in my 2007 it seems it wants to "preload" the region you are in?
Old 12-13-13, 06:16 AM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know how this works out.

Quick question, is it necessary to reboot/reset the navigation system when updating?

I bought the 13.1 update. I simply ejected the old disc and inserted the new one. I didn't notice any change in the system. I'm going from the 2005 maps to the 2013 update. The nav menu says it's running 13.1, but I'm not sure if the update requires a reboot or not.
Old 12-13-13, 06:26 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by roemer7
Let us know how this works out.

Quick question, is it necessary to reboot/reset the navigation system when updating?

I bought the 13.1 update. I simply ejected the old disc and inserted the new one. I didn't notice any change in the system. I'm going from the 2005 maps to the 2013 update. The nav menu says it's running 13.1, but I'm not sure if the update requires a reboot or not.
This is straight from a member / dealer / sponsor regarding a GX:

Originally Posted by Carson-Lex
The Nav Computer that holds your nav disc shows its location below the seat on the passenger side between the fron and back seat. There is a small cover you remove and a button that you press to eject the old DVD. You then insert the new DVD and the sysyem updates itself with the latest upgrade you install.

EDIT: See attached; straight from Lexus:

Last edited by RCsGX; 12-15-13 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 06:50 AM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I saw that post. I wasn't sure if I should expect a reboot when the system updates itself.
Old 12-15-13, 03:37 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Old 12-17-13, 06:09 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Booo!!!!!!!

I just noticed this morning that my coastal lockpick no longer works w/ 13.1. It still gets rid of the "I Agree" button but while in motion everything is grayed out. Does anyone know which newer navigation disc I can use that still allows my lockpick to work!??

Quick Reply: GPS Navigation Update