GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Are the brakes on your GX noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 02:49 PM
gs_girl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the brakes on your GX noisy?

Hi all,
HAve any of you experienced problems with the brakes on your GX ?

About a year ago, while I was waiting on the side of a road, a GX drove past me and stopped at a stop sign...and I heard the brakes of that GX go S-Q-U-EEEE-A-L. My first thought was that maybe the driver might have kept the parking brake on? dunno..her windows were up so I could not let her know..

Anyways, I got alerted to it and began to pay attention to my car..but the times when I pulled down my window and listened when i braked..I never heard anything. ....A few months ago, my 5 year old alerted me to the noise when I was pulling out of our garage....so I pulled down my window and I heard the squeal when I braked after reversing out of the driveway...the squeal disapperead after I had driven some 100 -200 feet from my starting point. I realzied that while my windows were pulled up with the music on in the car, I never heard the squeal even though it was there...so I really dunno when our brakes had become noisy...

We took the car in for its routine service recently, but the squeal was still there after we got the car back...my husband had forgotten to inform the staff there about the noisy brakes.

Last weekend, we drove to South Lake Tahoe and had to drive around the mountains.......and boy oh boy could we hear the squeal. .We took the car back to the service center yesterday and right enuf they found that something was wrong with the brakes....they replaced the front and rear brake pads and resurfaced the front and rear rotors. The cause (as it says in the documentation) was "Excessive Rotor runout" for the front and rear brakes. They did not charge us for the service call yesterday.

Since I heard the brakes on the other GX squeal and our GX's brakes made a noise too ,I though I should share this with you all..just in case your truck has the same problem..

Wish you all a great weekend!

Mel.

'06 GX470 Sports Model, fully loaded

Last edited by gs_girl; 10-24-08 at 02:51 PM. Reason: corrected a typo
Old 10-24-08, 02:50 PM
gs_girl
Driver School Candidate

Yikes! Sorry for the long post!
Old 10-24-08, 02:53 PM
GX470GT
Driver

Default Mine are

yes my brakes do squeel, especially the rears. You should apply some brake anti squeel paste.
Old 10-24-08, 05:04 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my brakes are quiet
Old 10-24-08, 06:46 PM
brickauto
Driver

Both my OEM and aftermarket brake sets (rotors + pads) are quiet, never got a squeal out of them.
Old 10-24-08, 07:25 PM
AnthonyL88
Driver School Candidate

I drive a 2008 GX470 and I don't hear any noise when braking. But my 2006 MDX use to make noise when braking, and I was told the side of the rotors were a little rusted.
Old 10-25-08, 08:16 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

No problemo with mine including up through just recently replacing the rear rotors and pads all around at 38K miles. Sounds icky though
Old 10-28-08, 12:49 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Default yes the brake squeal - also have KDSS

Very loud squeals during breaking....check with dealer who noted front brake pads at 4mm so need changing - rear pads were ok.........unfortunately tried to make it happen under warranty but a no go....I should have read your post earlier......anyway front pads changed (rotors turned only but not changed).

Now there is no squeal but time will tell...car has 44k miles but i still thought a bit early to change front brake pads......
Old 10-29-08, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Actaully 44K miles a just about right for brake pads for a big truck like the GX.
Old 10-29-08, 06:02 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GGGXXX

Now there is no squeal but time will tell...car has 44k miles but i still thought a bit early to change front brake pads......
To get 44k out of your original pads is great. Had mine done at 38k miles. No towing and generally all easy miles. Squeelers were not hitting yet, but the pad thickness was very low. I was heading on a 1000 mile round trip so changed them for the peace of mind. Based on the pad thickness I could have racked up another 2k miles on them.
Old 10-29-08, 08:17 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 03 with almost 60k on the odom and no squeal here.
Old 10-29-08, 07:08 PM
mocheen
Rookie

I did not even have my car for 2 weeks (80 miles) when the brakes started squealing like a banshee. I brought it to the dealership and they replaced the rear pads and turned the rotors. I thought the brakes were a part of the CPO process. How did they miss this? After a week of driving I felt the brakes shaking. I brought it back to the dealer and they said the rotors were not turned properly. They had to redo the brakes again. They feel fine now, but now they have shaved the rotors down two times. That takes away from the longevity of the rotors.
Old 10-30-08, 05:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Sometimes I wonder about those CPO process. The dealer, like every other business is not going spend a dime more on a used car than they have to. If things are questionable, they will just let it go. Fixing things that are not absolutly necessary will only drive up the cost of the car and no body wants that to happen.
Old 10-30-08, 08:33 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Brake squeal can be caused by a few things and not necessarily by just the pad itself. A vast majority of time it it not of any concern other than being annoying.

1) Pad is low and indicator is rubbing on rotor. Solution: New brakes
2) Pad shims not placed on rear of pad causes pad to vibrate against the caliper piston. Solution: Place OEM shims back on or use the brake goop sold at auto parts stores (not recommended-softer pedal feel).
3) Hardware loose in braking system: Solution: Check pad clips and adjust/replace, clean pins or replace, etc.
4) Brakes are glazed from overheating or improper break in process. Solution: New brakes or lightly sand off glazed with very fine sandpaper Break in brakes properly.
Old 11-03-08, 09:06 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mocheen
I did not even have my car for 2 weeks (80 miles) when the brakes started squealing like a banshee. I brought it to the dealership and they replaced the rear pads and turned the rotors. I thought the brakes were a part of the CPO process. How did they miss this? After a week of driving I felt the brakes shaking. I brought it back to the dealer and they said the rotors were not turned properly. They had to redo the brakes again. They feel fine now, but now they have shaved the rotors down two times. That takes away from the longevity of the rotors.
If you turn the rotors, you should replace the pads at the same time so they are flat and can wear to the new rotor surface. You also should bed the rotors/pads in properly or brake very easily on them for the first 500 mi or so. For me, I never bother to turn the rotors. It costs no more to replace them if you DIY. The rears are especially easy to do. Just jack up the rear, remove the hard line/soft line clip & two caliper mounting bolts, flip caliper & hose unit up, pull off rear rotor, slide new one on, bolt on rear caliper (make sure the e-brake is off).