GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New to CL

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 01:44 PM
DANO1GX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to CL

Just purchased 03 GX 74500 mi. Mint condition. I am very impressed with vehicle. Have owned a couple of BMW's some Toyota's etc. I have to say this vehicle still drives like new and feels like new. Fit and finish are incredible, I was looking at 4runners and came across this and for the money it was alot more bang for the buck. Anyway's it does have the clunk issue I lubed the driveshaft (it was a little dry) and seems much better. Does anybody know if the driveshaft they are installing in the TSB is serviceable / can it be lubed like this one??? or is it sealed. Dealer said Im out of warranty for TSB but Im still pursuing. Thanks in advance, Dan.
Old 10-09-08, 07:03 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

welcome to ClubLexus, DANO1GX (Dan)

Glad you enjoy your 03 GX, I'm looking for 03 too.
Old 10-09-08, 09:29 AM
DANO1GX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks masboy. Got lucky just happend to find this one on autotrader when i was looking for a 4runner, After driving the GX it was a no brainer, Just found out it had all of its services done at local Lexus dealer You can find them for a pretty good price used and hey its a Lexus thing should last darn near forever
Old 10-09-08, 02:15 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to the club and to answer your question the new shaft is servicable. Enjoy your rig
Old 10-09-08, 02:29 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus
Old 10-09-08, 02:57 PM
DANO1GX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
Welcome to the club and to answer your question the new shaft is servicable. Enjoy your rig
Thanks for the answer. I really appreciate it. Since I lubed this one it is much less evident but I still have slight clunk or thump. I dont know that I would have the TSB done if the new shaft was sealed. Some of the new Toyota's have un-serviceable driveshafts and really dont like that you cant service. Love this truck guys...Its my first Lexus really impressed with quality.
Old 10-09-08, 02:59 PM
DANO1GX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Seize
Welcome to Club Lexus
Thanks enjoying the new ride Good info on this forum
Old 10-10-08, 06:42 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by DANO1GX
Thanks for the answer. I really appreciate it. Since I lubed this one it is much less evident but I still have slight clunk or thump. I dont know that I would have the TSB done if the new shaft was sealed. Some of the new Toyota's have un-serviceable driveshafts and really dont like that you cant service. Love this truck guys...Its my first Lexus really impressed with quality.
Even if you cannot work something out with Lexus to get it replaced under the TSB it does not compromise the performance of your truck - assuming you can live with the little nuisance it creates. There are some good threads on here about it and you if you continue to service and lube the driveshaft you can reduce that "clunk" feeling. It just creates a little more work on the maintenance end.

Out of curiosity did you buy your GX used from a Lexus dealer??? If so I think it would make your argument more compelling. Good luck
Old 10-10-08, 07:54 AM
DANO1GX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
Even if you cannot work something out with Lexus to get it replaced under the TSB it does not compromise the performance of your truck - assuming you can live with the little nuisance it creates. There are some good threads on here about it and you if you continue to service and lube the driveshaft you can reduce that "clunk" feeling. It just creates a little more work on the maintenance end.

Out of curiosity did you buy your GX used from a Lexus dealer??? If so I think it would make your argument more compelling. Good luck
Thanks for the info. Driving home just after purchasing it started doing it pretty hard, vehicle would actually lurch and you would feel hard clunk, wasnt sure what it was until I found this forum, Lubed the driveshaft and now it hardly does it, when it does its very light almost like a little bump/thump. Thanks for letting me know its really nothing serious. BTW I did not purchase from Lexus dealer, It was from a luxury car used car lot, But it has had all of its service's done at a Lexus dealer, Found out yesterday the driveshaft was replaced under warranty in 2004 for clunking, not sure if that would have been the updated version???? My service advisor at Lexus is really cool and he is looking into it.
Old 10-10-08, 05:44 PM
cssnms
Racer

Thanks for the info. Driving home just after purchasing it started doing it pretty hard, vehicle would actually lurch and you would feel hard clunk, wasnt sure what it was until I found this forum, Lubed the driveshaft and now it hardly does it, when it does its very light almost like a little bump/thump. Thanks for letting me know its really nothing serious. BTW I did not purchase from Lexus dealer, It was from a luxury car used car lot, But it has had all of its service's done at a Lexus dealer, Found out yesterday the driveshaft was replaced under warranty in 2004 for clunking, not sure if that would have been the updated version???? My service advisor at Lexus is really cool and he is looking into it.
Keep pressing the dealer, they want your business. The drive shaft replaced in '04 is not the new shaft being installed under the TSB. That said, you've already discovered lubing it up will fix it for a while and least make it tolerable.
Old 10-10-08, 06:00 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As CSSNMS says,the new driveshaft can be lubed.I just had mine replaced on our 2004 under the TSB. Ours "clunked" just a bit....nothing crazy and not all the time,but,I did know it was there thanks to this forum.

I also agree,press the issue with Lexus,they should change it. Good luck!
Old 10-11-08, 07:18 AM
DANO1GX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wronglane
As CSSNMS says,the new driveshaft can be lubed.I just had mine replaced on our 2004 under the TSB. Ours "clunked" just a bit....nothing crazy and not all the time,but,I did know it was there thanks to this forum.

I also agree,press the issue with Lexus,they should change it. Good luck!
Thanks to both of you for the info and encouragement. I think Lexus is a top notch company. I threw it out their and the customer relation's dept. is reviewing the case. I had the Dealer inspect it yesterday (as per Lexus). They determined it does need the TSB. So now I have to call back to Lexus and see what happens. Should hopefully have a answer by wed/thurs next week.
Old 10-17-08, 11:57 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to CL. I too have an 03 GX470. No issues with the clunk here though. I'm assuming the previous owner already had it replaced under TSB as I bought with about 38K miles.

The folks here are top notch too!
Old 10-17-08, 01:09 PM
DANO1GX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kphu
Welcome to CL. I too have an 03 GX470. No issues with the clunk here though. I'm assuming the previous owner already had it replaced under TSB as I bought with about 38K miles.

The folks here are top notch too!
Thanks for the welcome. Wow you found a really low mileage 03...looks nice Couldnt be more happy with this vehicle, I will update you guys when Lexus gets back to me, Should be early next week.
Old 10-18-08, 06:56 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the welcome. Wow you found a really low mileage 03...looks nice Couldnt be more happy with this vehicle, I will update you guys when Lexus gets back to me, Should be early next week.
Yeah it was almost exactly what I was looking for. I wanted one with DVD entertainment and rear backup camera but I was in a hurry as my 4-runner was starting to show signs of transmission problems; it would disengage as if it was going into neutral while I was driving...pretty freaky. Happen to me 3 times when i left the house. Luckily though I wasn't far from home and was able to turn around and make it home.

A lot of people at my work thought it was new off the lot. Its exceptionally immaculate and I'm trying to keep it that way, although the kids makes it kind of tough.

Quick Reply: New to CL