GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My thoughts on aftermarket Bluetooth devices to replace lousy OEM one!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 12:51 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My thoughts on aftermarket Bluetooth devices to replace lousy OEM one!

I wanted to share my experience with this for all of my ClubLexus friends. I have had my 2006 GX for over 2 years now and am constantly tweaking it to make it the perfect ride in appearance and, more importantly, in function. I don't know how many of you feel the OEM Bluetooth that comes with the Nav system is crap, but I do. I have tried it a dozen times and every person I speak with says that they cannot understand me unless I turn off the air, etc. which makes it nonfunctional. A truly useful Bluetooth device would integrate itself into your vehicle and help you, not "put you out" in order to use. I have purchased several aftermarket higher end devices including the top of the line Parrot, top of the line Sony Ericsson, and others. None worked well. Well, I have finally found one, and I am so excited that I decided to do this post and share my experience with you. The device that I just bought and am using well is the BlueAnt ST3. If you want my advice and to save some money going thru other more expensive frustrating systems, go with this one. I simply love it. It is a simplified joy to use!
Old 09-02-08, 11:17 AM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I got the ST3 and it's work perfectly
Old 09-02-08, 12:44 PM
jquinn14
Driver School Candidate

Happy to hear about this alternative. How did you get it installed?

Also, good Doctor, have you modified your stereo at all? I just purchased a 2006 GX470 and am wondering how to get rid of the crazy multi-changer in the glove box and add the iPOD functionality. Any advice/ideas would be helpful.
Old 09-02-08, 01:07 PM
mkupchyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jquinn14

Also, good Doctor, have you modified your stereo at all? I just purchased a 2006 GX470 and am wondering how to get rid of the crazy multi-changer in the glove box and add the iPOD functionality. Any advice/ideas would be helpful.
This allows you to do that. People have mentioned it in other threads, usually as 'CoastalTech' or 'Ultimate Lockpick'
I think you can keep the changer though.

http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm

BTW, the speaker phone requires no real installation, it is just bluetooth so you connect to your phone and the unit clips to the visor. Newegg.com has the Blue Ant ST3 for $85 (older Blue Ant is $65) and they also carry the Motorola which also got good reviews for $79.
Old 09-02-08, 03:41 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
I wanted to share my experience with this for all of my ClubLexus friends. I have had my 2006 GX for over 2 years now and am constantly tweaking it to make it the perfect ride in appearance and, more importantly, in function. I don't know how many of you feel the OEM Bluetooth that comes with the Nav system is crap, but I do. I have tried it a dozen times and every person I speak with says that they cannot understand me unless I turn off the air, etc. which makes it nonfunctional. A truly useful Bluetooth device would integrate itself into your vehicle and help you, not "put you out" in order to use. I have purchased several aftermarket higher end devices including the top of the line Parrot, top of the line Sony Ericsson, and others. None worked well. Well, I have finally found one, and I am so excited that I decided to do this post and share my experience with you. The device that I just bought and am using well is the BlueAnt ST3. If you want my advice and to save some money going thru other more expensive frustrating systems, go with this one. I simply love it. It is a simplified joy to use!

Blueant ST3 is absolutely the best out there right now! I got mine from headsetking.com I think it was about $80.00. My wife can actually use it and that is saying a lot. Not truly integrated like my Parrot CK3100, but it works on every phone we have, which I can't say for my Parrot. I like the Parrot a lot too, but it is not compatable with either my Moto Q or my new HTC Touch...very dissapointed about that.
Old 09-07-08, 08:41 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jquinn14

No problem. I kept my CD changer and had a professional install a Vaistech ipod cable in the glovebox that works thru my ML stereo controls flawlessly. You just wire it thru the "Disc" pathway as an auxillary input. One push gets me CD changer, one the Disc DVD player, and the final one is the ipod. Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-09, 10:37 PM
statcomp
Driver School Candidate

BlueAnt ST3 sounds handy but it means we have to waste expensive - I might add - speaker system doing nothing. I would rather replace existing bluetooth system with a2dp one. did anyone try it?
Old 06-30-09, 10:05 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by statcomp
BlueAnt ST3 sounds handy but it means we have to waste expensive - I might add - speaker system doing nothing. I would rather replace existing bluetooth system with a2dp one. did anyone try it?
If you are talking about streaming music over bluetooth with A2DP then yes. I bought one of these made by Insignia and plug it into my iPod connector on my Vaistech SLi and stream Pandora from my HTC Touch into the car stereo...It's awesome!

Old 07-30-09, 02:24 PM
Ritzinger
Driver School Candidate

Default GX470 and iphone

I have a 2006 GX470. I would like to plug in my iphone so I can listen to Pandora and Sticher plus other podcasts. Can someone suggest the system I need. Is this something Best Buy (or similar) can install? Will I be able to use the touch screen on the car to operate the iphone?

Agreed the blue tooth that comes with the car has terrible reception.
Rgds.
Old 08-05-09, 11:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you, I will check them out as we need a quality BT unit in our GX and the price is cheap. I'm spoiled with the far superior factory installed unit in my Acura.

EDIT: Does not look as if this mutes the factory radio. Yep, we're spoiled that way.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-05-09 at 11:15 PM.