GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What are best tires for the GX

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 11:53 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I like my factory installed Cross Terrains w/38k mi on them. Very quiet as a daily driver. I expect to get every bit of 55K mi out of them. I have spent 2 summers driving on the beach in the outerbanks and I've driven in the snow with them and I must say they performed very well in both conditions.
Old 12-14-08, 11:34 AM
bobinwash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have not bought any tires, but it did snow today and the tires didn't do very well on packed snow icy roads. I will probably buy something this month.
I looked at some of the Nokians and they have fantastic reviews The new all season for SUVs is the Nokian WR SUV G2. Still great in dry handling but a great ice/slush snow tire. anyone tried the Nokians?
Old 12-15-08, 10:35 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinwash
I still have not bought any tires, but it did snow today and the tires didn't do very well on packed snow icy roads. I will probably buy something this month.
I looked at some of the Nokians and they have fantastic reviews The new all season for SUVs is the Nokian WR SUV G2. Still great in dry handling but a great ice/slush snow tire. anyone tried the Nokians?
I hate to break it to ya, but no all season tires are going to "work" on ice or any tire for that matter. Certainly there are tires that will have better performance for snow/slush, but ice, NO.
Old 12-15-08, 12:24 PM
bobinsofla
Rookie

I just put Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas on my new 18" 4runner wheel setup. Expensive and worth every penny. Good handling, extremely quiet, and very good wet traction. South Florida is not far behind Seattle in annual rainfall, and when we get rain it really comes down so wet traction is very important here. I also do my long haul trips in the gX so quiet ride is necessary for reducing fatigue. I did a 2000 mile thanksgiving oddessy and they were great.

Originally Posted by bobinwash
What are the best tires to consider for my GX? I can't stand the dunlop/grandtreks that came with it. (I have one dunlop and 3 grandtreks). So I am getting ready to purchase a new set.

I live in Seattle area and drive in a lot of various conditions (yes rain and standing water, but also dry roads, ice and some light snow.) I also take my GX fishing where I go on some dirt roads or short unimproved areas.

My top choices right now are..

Michelin Cross Terrain SUV

Nokian WR SUV

maybe the BF Goodrich or a Les Schwab Toyo, or Yokahamas?

Anyone have good suggestions or experience with tires they are happy with?
Old 12-16-08, 02:12 PM
jbdvm1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recently replaced the oem dunlops with the michelin "latitude tour". they replaced the cross terrain and have a substantial warranty - 60k?? i,ve had them on for several months including an already snowy michigan late fall and so far i'm impressed. snow traction is at least as good as the dunlops and the dry pavement ride is good and very quiet.
Old 12-16-08, 08:15 PM
Bob GX
Driver

I have used Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires on several cars through the years - they really have been the best I have used. We get packed snow and icy road conditions here (Utah) for about 3 to 4 months during the winter, and I have a pretty steep hill to drive up and down every day - and even my front wheel drive car with the Hakkas handle these conditions with no problems.

I've also used Michelin X-Ice tires, and they are very good as well, plus I can usually find those with a little better discount so they are easier to buy.

The Cross Terrains by themselves are very good on the GX - but the winter tires do improve handling on icy roads, in my opinion.
Old 03-24-16, 06:58 PM
BCrews
Rookie

Rather than start a new thread- anyone have experience comparing the Michelin LTX AT2 to the Latitude Tour? My Costco only stock the LTX which I see is more of a off road ready tire- and I'm conserned it'll be very noisy. we currently have the Cross Terrain which is cupping- I have a feeling the car was out of whack when we bought it used- the plan is to replace all tires and have alignment / balancing done- but I'd hate for the ride to be even noiser than before... That said, I've heard the Latitude is terrible in snow- yeah I don't do sand and snow much at all- but it's nice to have a compitent tire for those few times you need it.

Also is the LTX any worse than the old Cross Terrain for MPG? it's bad enough as it is, I don't need worse.
Old 03-24-16, 06:59 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Costco will order tires for you.
Old 03-25-16, 02:36 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Had the cross terrains many years ago, they were OEM. than I used the LTX M/S2 and now the new Defender LTX M/S. All some of the best SUV tires in the industry. I also switch to dedicated winter tires from December to March. Nothing like a winter tire even for just the temperature drop that affects rubber.
Old 03-25-16, 09:37 AM
BCrews
Rookie

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Costco will order tires for you.
Costco can't get the Latitudes at wholesale prices they told me - so NO in this case they won't order them. I'm considering calling to see if I can Tire Rack em and pay the extra shipping- but I really don't trust Peb Boys or Firestone to install Tire Rack Michelins, after a few other botched experiences I've had with both.
Old 03-25-16, 10:58 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I still running the stock tires Cross Terrain on my truck that is 90k miles now . Discount tire said it looks about 50% tread wear left but they refused to do service because it is over 10 years old. By the way i got a new set of 18" wheel and Discountire gave me a quote out of door $ 922 of a new set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/60r18.
Old 03-26-16, 11:58 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BCrews
Costco can't get the Latitudes at wholesale prices they told me - so NO in this case they won't order them. I'm considering calling to see if I can Tire Rack em and pay the extra shipping- but I really don't trust Peb Boys or Firestone to install Tire Rack Michelins, after a few other botched experiences I've had with both.
My Costco has them in stock. YMMV

So go to Discount Tire. Why pay shipping with Tire Rack when Discount tire will match pretty much anyones price. No shipping.

Also, go to the Tire Rack ratings and look at the NOISE rating. I can't imagine any of the ones you picked would be NOISY. Any cupped tire is noisy but LTX's are not really that much of a off road tire. And they are not noisy. Tire Rack has a 30 day money back guarantee. So you don't need to worry. If you don't like them get a different kind. No big deal.

Last edited by co4wheel; 03-26-16 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-26-16, 07:13 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
...I used the LTX M/S2 and now the new Defender LTX M/S.
THANKS for the heads-up on the new Defender LTX M/S tires. I didn't realize that Michelin released a replacement for their outstanding LTX M/S 2.

I'm on-track to replace the LTX M/S 2 tires on my GX this coming Fall and am 99% sure that I'll get the new Defenders. Plus they might be cheaper to boot?! Like just about everyone, I've got nothing but good things to say about my LTX M/S 2 tires.
Old 03-27-16, 12:11 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cross terrain hands down. Excellent tire. Check their website sometimes they run rebates on those.
Old 03-27-16, 05:40 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

[QUOTE=angelslex;9423447]Cross terrain hands down. Excellent tire. Check their website sometimes they run rebates on those.[/QUOTE

The cross terrain was discontinued 2 years ago...LTX M/S then LTX M/S 2 and now the defender.