GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Fluids for the GX470? Diff, T-Case, Coolant, Brake, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 02:53 PM
lazybummm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluids for the GX470? Diff, T-Case, Coolant, Brake, etc

Hey all, does anyone know the type of fluids that are required by the GX470? The truck is almost at the 30k mark, I want to have some of the fluids changed. It seems that the transmission is "sealed" even though it's got a drain an fill plug, and that takes Toyota ATF WS (not Type IV or Dexron). I could not find anything anywhere that references the type of fluid. I see people posting a few pages of the manual here and there, especially for the tranny, does anyone have the pages for general maintenance section? If we can get those pages up, that would be awesome. don't really want to pay $800 at the stealership when I can probably get everything done for $100

I assume diffs need GL-5 gear oil, but are there LSD's that need friction modifier?

Also, does the tcase take tranny fluid or gear oil? and what kind of tranny fluid if it takes tranny fluid.(ie dexron or toyota atf ws)

Transmission Fluid - Toyota ATF WS
Differential Fluid -
Transfer Case -
Coolant -
Brake Fluid -

TIA!
Old 07-19-08, 04:57 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lazybummm
I assume diffs need GL-5 gear oil, but are there LSD's that need friction modifier?

Also, does the tcase take tranny fluid or gear oil? and what kind of tranny fluid if it takes tranny fluid.(ie dexron or toyota atf ws)

Transmission Fluid - Toyota ATF WS
Differential Fluid -
Transfer Case -
Coolant -
Brake Fluid -

TIA!
A few thoughts... FWTW

Transmission

The transmission is sealed because you truly don't need to touch it for a while (definitely not at 4 yrs and 30k). The way the drain/refill process work is actually more complicated than it seems. Although I unfortunately don't have the instructions to share, I did see them at one point and discussed them with a Lexus tech.

The fill procedure requires that the diagnostics computer be connected to the truck in order to read the fluid temperature. Many times, the truck needs to be driven to get the fluid to the right temp., and when that level is reached, that's when you add fluid until it overflows. Seems like a major PITA (even the shop foreman at my dealership told me it is), and something you don't need to worry about/spend $ on unless you really feel strongly about it.

Coolant

If you have the sealed tranny, you likely have Toyota Super Long Life coolant (I think the factory may have changed both things over at the same time), which again, doesn't need to be touched. Check your manual; there is info on which coolant you have in your truck. In fact, if you look at the hood in the area near the latch, there should be a sticker telling you what kind you have.

Brake Fluid

Check the master cylinder for labeling on whether the truck uses Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid - no info in the manual that I could find.

No info on Transfer Case or Differential...

Good luck!
Old 07-20-08, 09:24 AM
brickauto
Driver

Here are recommeded fluids:

Differential Fluid - 75W90 GL-5 gear lube
Transfer Case -75W90 GL-5 gear lube
Coolant -Toyota Super Long Life Coolant
Brake Fluid - Dot 3 brake fluid

I personally use Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear in the Diffs and transfer case and Amsoil Series 2000 Grease for the prop shaft and slip joints.
Old 01-20-14, 10:51 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brickauto
Here are recommeded fluids:

Differential Fluid - 75W90 GL-5 gear lube
Transfer Case -75W90 GL-5 gear lube
Coolant -Toyota Super Long Life Coolant
Brake Fluid - Dot 3 brake fluid

I personally use Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear in the Diffs and transfer case and Amsoil Series 2000 Grease for the prop shaft and slip joints.
Ditto on the Amsoil but I've ordered their 5w30 signature series and the same for the tranny. The only thing I still need to figure out is whether to go Amsoil on the coolant. I think the Toyota super long life is high quality stuff but the read on the Amsoil leaves me wondering if theirs is better?
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=ANT1G-EA
Old 01-20-14, 11:14 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I read in the service manual that there is some sort of procedure you do, in which the "A/T oil temp" light blinks when its at the proper operating temperature to add the transmission fluid to the max level. That way it can be done without the use of some special scan tool....Unless that procedure requires the said scan tool... then i may just be talking out loud!
Old 01-21-14, 05:10 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I read in the service manual that there is some sort of procedure you do, in which the "A/T oil temp" light blinks when its at the proper operating temperature to add the transmission fluid to the max level. That way it can be done without the use of some special scan tool....Unless that procedure requires the said scan tool... then i may just be talking out loud!
I have done this in my garage on the GS350 sedan and should be same procedure. It is really not that bad, but you need 2 people. You jumper the 4 and 13 pins on the OBD connector under drivers side dash. Then go through a series of shifts like D to N 6 times to get it in operating mode. Once the D light on instrument cluster starts blinking you have roughly 2 minutes to top off fluid until drips out the fill hole. Once the light is solid, you are above operating temp. Best to do this job when car is cold. I have the complete procedure written down and can't exactly remember the shift pattern off top of my head. Before you do any of that, you have to remove about 3 quarts at a time and replenishing with 3 quarts until you get all 12 out and 12 new in. Buy 13 quarts to do this for GS350. The fluid expands and this is why the top off procedure is so critical to get right.

I am looking at GX470 right now and will do this around 75k mark. I did the GS350 at 82k and the fluid was not that bad. It was dark, but appeared to have all its viscosity. I did not notice any shift difference in car after changing it. 6k later, still no difference. At 30K, I would not even think about doing it. Does the 2009 GX470 have electronic steering or hydraulic? Is their a power steering fluid reservoir?
Old 09-12-17, 09:18 PM
DirtyLexus
Driver School Candidate

Are people using ATF as their power steering fluid?
Old 09-13-17, 03:38 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyLexus
Are people using ATF as their power steering fluid?
I am. Used mobile 1 synthetic ATF
Old 09-13-17, 10:03 AM
jonesmw10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
I am. Used mobile 1 synthetic ATF
Ditto. Same here.