GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Loud clicking when GX starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 09:02 PM
trombs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud clicking when GX starts

We bought a 2006 GX back in the fall. For several months now, when first starting the car, it makes a loud, rapid clicking noise for 10-25 seconds. It seems to originate from the front left side of the car. I don't believe it's the uphill or downhill assist control, as the clicking occurs whether the car is in park, reverse, or drive. It only seems to happen when the car hasn't been driven for several hours. Is this normal? Any thoughts?
Old 05-25-08, 10:08 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If it's a ticking sound that's audible upon warmup when the engine is cold and disappears after it warms up, it could be a cracked exhaust manifold. The 2UZ V8 on the landcruiser/LX470 is notorious for this; not sure if the GX has the same problem.
Old 05-27-08, 11:41 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

My 2005 GX also makes a similar clicking sound from somewhere up front. It only happens when I start up a cold engine, put it in reverse and back out of the garage. It goes away in about 5 seconds. I keep forgetting to tell my dealer about it.

Last edited by LexusBob; 05-28-08 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-27-08, 12:28 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If it makes the same noise when you shut off the engine, then its just metal parts expanding.
Old 05-28-08, 09:15 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
If it makes the same noise when you shut off the engine, then its just metal parts expanding.
It's not the same noise. It sounds almost like a kid sliding a stick across a picket fence .
Old 05-31-08, 11:12 AM
trombs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusBob
It's not the same noise. It sounds almost like a kid sliding a stick across a picket fence .
Yes, exactly. I'm planning to leave it at the dealer overnight so they can check this out.
Old 06-02-08, 09:20 AM
shodog
Rookie

did you check your oil level?
Old 06-02-08, 12:08 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shodog
did you check your oil level?
I've been experiencing this sound since I purchased the vehicle. It's been serviced regularly, but good point!
Old 06-02-08, 12:08 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trombs
Yes, exactly. I'm planning to leave it at the dealer overnight so they can check this out.
Please let us know what happens. Tx!
Old 10-31-14, 01:23 PM
ruhroh
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an old thread but wanted to see if anyone has an idea on the cause of this clicking sound. My 07 with about 83k on the clock I started having this issue a few months ago and it seems to be getting worse and lasting longer. Only happens when its been sitting for a few hours or over night. Seems to be coming from the front left of the engine compartment.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-03-14, 05:47 AM
ruhroh
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE - I checked over the weekend and it seems to be coming from the front right of the engine. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 11-03-14, 06:53 AM
DirtyGX
Rookie

Starter? As a starter begins to wear out sometimes the contacts will stick causing the multiple loud clicks. I have had this happen exactly once. Sticking starters are a time bomb, because once the contacts fully wear out they will stick together completely, pulling massive draw from the battery, which almost always causes a fire. Cool, huh?

This may not be your issue, and the starter is located between the two cylinder banks.
Old 11-03-14, 08:19 AM
ruhroh
Driver School Candidate

Well that doesn't sound very fun at all. I wouldn't say this clicking is loud but certainly noticeable. Not like the clicking you would here if the battery was almost dead and trying to turn the starter. It's a fast clicking sound. Started out lasting a few seconds but now going on for about a minute or so. When I stuck my head in there this weekend it seemed to come from the front right - passenger side - near what i think is the alternator. I changed that out about 8 months ago. Is the starter located on that side of the engine?
Old 11-03-14, 10:36 AM
DirtyGX
Rookie

If it's the starter you would also notice problems with the engine firing up, or running smoothly.

Again- it's probably something else. Starters don't fail too often.

I haven't torn into the 2UZ (motor of the GX), but all the diagrams I've seen show the starter sitting between the two cylinder banks- the middle of the top of the engine.

I can tell you all about the 1FZ motors of the earlier landcruisers, but I'm new to these as well.
Old 11-04-14, 07:00 AM
ruhroh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dirty for the suggestions. It seems to be coming from the area where the power steering pump mounts. Maybe the pulley or whatever is above the PS pump.

Quick Reply: Loud clicking when GX starts