GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Buying OEM DVD Entertainment C

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 10:02 PM
ecalica428
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying OEM DVD Entertainment C

My 05 gx doesnt come with a DVD and saw an oem DVD second hand that came from an 04 GX. My question is: are most gx come with pre wired for dvd already? meaning when i installed the dvd unit on the center console is there already a wire and ready to use or to plug on to the dvd unit?
?and the monitor on the overhead does it match with the wiring for the lights there? or i need to rewire the whole thing and attatch it to the nav console?
Old 02-23-08, 12:35 PM
ecalica428
Driver School Candidate

any input please?
Old 02-23-08, 12:46 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecalica428
My 05 gx doesnt come with a DVD and saw an oem DVD second hand that came from an 04 GX. My question is: are most gx come with pre wired for dvd already? meaning when i installed the dvd unit on the center console is there already a wire and ready to use or to plug on to the dvd unit?
?and the monitor on the overhead does it match with the wiring for the lights there? or i need to rewire the whole thing and attatch it to the nav console?
Sorry bud, I would have thought by now that someone would have replied by now...

that said, when I was shopping around for my GX in 2005 I debated getting the OEM or after market DVD in headrests DUAL units by audio (at the time...), my kids begged me for it, my wife liked the idea, BUT, I knew that the DVD wouldn't be "integrated" into the OEM and it would be dual remotes with no control in the front dash by driver or front passenger so I opted for the OEM system.

My GX arrived in February 05 and my salesperson said, he threw in a bonus and gave me two DVD players instead of the CENTRAL ceiling units, my kids were happy but I was pissed. After researching on this board, I found out that the wiring harness is NOT there and they would have to do a LOT of work to get a FACTORY OEM DVD unit with the GX.

I turned down the GX in FEB 2005 and told the rep, I'd wait... His jaw hit the floor. Why?

I told him and he was impressed that I knew that much about the vehicle and didn't try to push it again. I waited for another 40 days and the GX with FACTORY OEM came in and I was happy.

So bottom line, the wiring harness is NOT there and it would be a very expensive $$$ undertaking to add the the OEM unit. He even threw in a 3rd pair of headphones for me, for teaching him something new...

This is the information that I received from the members here on this and the other Lexus GX forum.

I hope this story will inspire others to chime in as well...
Old 02-24-08, 08:23 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This would also be true of other optional equipment. Lexus/Toyota vehicle takes a predefined path on the assembly line. If the vehicle was not designated to have the optional equipment installed, it will not have the "unnecessary" harness, or connection points (cost saving). This was not the case with most of the American cars, where there usually was one universal harness and the optional equipment would be installed as ordered/needed (labor saving). Just like lonewolf69 I wanted OEM DVD, but just the same the dealer installed after market unit. I was not happy, but I did get a good deal on the vehicle, and did not want to wait 2 months for another vehicle. Long story short, I would go as far as rewiring the GX to get the OEM DVD, but the fact is, that it's not worth the time or the money, since I spent most of the time behind the wheel driving and not watching, and the kid is happy with the 10" screen, and wireless headphones.
Old 02-24-08, 08:22 PM
ecalica428
Driver School Candidate

make sense coz the guy who is selling this oem dvd opted for a backrest dvd instead and he is having a hard time selling this after buying from a totalled gx. its just that wishful thinking that it would be possible to integrate it to my to my gx if indeed the wiring harness is already there or i would say plug and play,