GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2003 - 2008 GX470 Stealth Subwoofer - MORE BASS

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 01:34 PM
JasonCANES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 - 2008 GX470 Stealth Subwoofer - MORE BASS

OK, this is my first post, but my 4th GX470. However, this is the first one that I have modified. I took delivery about 2 weeks ago on a 2008 Sport Package and of course, I love it, but like all of us, there are things we would like to change or add. So, I put XenonDepot.com 5000K HID Kit on the Low's and Fogs - it came out awesome with a nice cutoff (have not been flashed yet)...but the real reason I am here... I am working with JLAudio on a stealth subwoofer box. If you aren't familiar with this product, check out JL Audio's product line below (http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?page_id=168)

Over the next 3 months, we (I'm merely watching) are going to be making a custom box for the 2003-2008 GX470 that is going to either go behind the third row OR over the left rocker panel of the third row seats. That's right, this unique system is going to allow us to keep our third row seats in place and add more bass (THE LX 570 and LS460 has a 450 W Amplifier...whereas we are only pushing 240 Watts - BOO on LEXUS)...So the good news, JLAUDIO is going to make this product customized for us!! The carpet should be identical on the enclosure and the subwoofers will be stealth.

Now, some of the early specs: JL is either going to be putting in two 10's behind the third row that will be directly connected to the already utilized 10mm bolts that hold the cargo net in place. Even better, if we need the cargo space behind the third row, the subwoofer box can be pushed between the second and third row and bolted down to the already existing 10 mm (look under your rear cargo mat) bolts. Or JL is going to come up with a single 10 inch sub over the left (Driver's) third row hub. If it is over the hub, the entire box will not cover the rear corner panel (where the jack is) or go above the bottom on the window - now, we will lose the small storage space in the third row, but I'm willing to part with it for crisper, tighter sound.

I'm assuming this is going to peak quite an interest on the boards...so I will be taking photos (of what they allow me to as they are going to be spending quite a bit on R&D). This system is going to be amazing and I am really looking forward to it. Oh yeah, we are adding BASS, but we are not going to lose clarity...finally, the goal here is not to "annoy your neighbor/guy next to you on the road", but get a deeper BASS and crisper (imagine that) sounding system.

Photo's of HID's, Sirius, and iPod Integration coming soon!
Old 01-11-08, 05:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have my bass at set -3, so I for one do not want more bass.
Old 01-11-08, 09:03 AM
SirSkrip
Rookie

LOL Gman, I have mine +3 and would like to see a product as described in this post.

I need more clean and deep bass to make a more real stereo sound. (and no, not the kind that you hear a car a block away either, I hate that!) but the kind to really enjoy the music in your ride. All my previous rides have always had a small sub with an amp to just push the stock stereo a little more. Drums on rock bands sound great!
Old 01-11-08, 09:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know, maybe I am getting old, but to me, a good sounding system does not mean a booming bass. It more about how clear the mids and the highs are.
Old 01-11-08, 09:52 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont know, maybe I am getting old, but to me, a good sounding system does not mean a booming bass. It more about how clear the mids and the highs are.
It should not matter how old you are. Good sound is full balanced sound. Crisp highs, clear mids and full bass.

I can't wait to see what JLAudio comes up with!

Old 01-11-08, 10:25 AM
K-Bud
Driver

can u post some pics of your HID fogs?
Old 01-11-08, 10:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thats exactly my point, the GX has enough bass already. Adding more bass would just cover up the crisp high and mid. I guess everyone has difference taste in sound system, the JBL system on the 4 runner has more bass than the GX and it sounds like crap. Age does matter, I dont see too many senior citizens out there cranking up their radio competing with the Civic next to them at a stop light to see who has more bass
Old 01-11-08, 11:16 AM
BobsGX
Racer

I like a lot of bass and I'm happy with the bass that the stock ML system puts out. In fact I have the bass turned down a bit from full bass. Maybe there is something wrong with your system? Then again, I know of many people who just cannot drive a stock vehicle. They are always looking to modify something. If that floats your boat, then so be it.

Last edited by BobsGX; 01-15-08 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 06:01 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have to disagree. Being keen on audio, I find the subwoofer in the GX flat out terrible, and the woofers in the front doors are muddy and loose. It's not a matter of booming bass, but a matter of tight, clear kick that makes all the difference. In fact, most stock systems that sound average, can be turned into great sounding systems by simply adding a good subwoofer, with a good clean amp. I'm glad to see JL taking this on, as they are probably the best when it comes to crisp, clean tight subs. You don't have to listen to rap or hip hop to enjoy good bass, and you don't have to blast your stereo, either. If you listend to your regular music with a really good sub, you'd be very surprised at how much better and more enjoyable the music is.

Last edited by jugdish; 01-14-08 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 06:53 PM
pump142
Driver

mite be nice to fit a better sub into stock place
Old 01-14-08, 08:57 PM
JasonCANES
Driver

Default Update

So JL's marketing team just got back from the CES out in Vegas and they are beginning their research to make sure this is a viable product for them to take on...meaning that there is enough interest. Based on my conversation, things look good, but I'll update everyone as soon as I hear more...They told me the biggest challenge is generally "getting the car" and that is probably why they don't have our's yet.

I agree with you guys that it is about having solid clean bass with crisp highs that make a good system. Take a look and spend about a 1/2 hour on JL's site and read through their technology, R&D and product pages. They are an elite company and know exactly what they are doing. The are going to have my vehicle for nearly 100 hours before they are done. Once they feel they have developed the right product for our vehicle, they are going to take it to their sound lab to ensure that have the best possible product (sub, enclosure and amp) combination for our ML Systems.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and by April we should have our Stealth System completed.

Have a great week!
Old 01-15-08, 09:20 AM
94SC300TX
Rookie

I would love to see this product, I still have the custom box with 2 12" JL Audio subs that was in my 02 Mercedes ML320. Loved that system!!
Old 01-15-08, 10:40 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds cool; as good as the reviews say the lexus' systems are, they just don't have accurate low bass. you can't beat some good clear clean low end, just like was intended by the artist.
Old 01-16-08, 06:45 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Would love to see the results of the 5000k kit installed in the lows and fogs. If you take any pics, please post =)
Old 01-16-08, 08:56 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

Default Pics Issue

Guys,

I'm having a tough time uploading pics... I have pics of the new Sport Package, HID's (from XenonDepot), VAIS, etc...but, the images won't upload to the site... any suggestions?

Worst case scenario, I will post the pics to an online photo albulm.

Thanks!

Jason

Quick Reply: 2003 - 2008 GX470 Stealth Subwoofer - MORE BASS