GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Dealer installed hitch on my 2007 GX

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-07, 02:18 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a hack job. Unbelievable! The dealer needs to replace that cut bumper, uninstall the 1st hitch and put the right one on the proper way! I have a "Curt" 6500 on my 2005 that I'm happy with.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-07, 06:00 PM
BobsGX
Racer

This is THE ONLY tow hitch I would allow on my GX470.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=16

It is also the only one your official Lexus dealer should have installed as its the only tow hitch that Lexus authorizes for your 2007 GX470.
The installing dealer that did that butcher job should be reported to Lexus corporate office. They now also owe you a new rear bumper fascia in which I hope they color match it properly for you.
They should also throw in a free 7 year extended warranty for all this trouble.

Last edited by BobsGX; 09-27-07 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-28-07, 04:01 AM
JohnL34
Driver School Candidate

Burgboxstr: That was clever...as i pick myself up off the floor.
Old 09-28-07, 04:10 AM
JohnL34
Driver School Candidate

So does anyone know how the bumper will be repaired? Looks to me like the center section of the bumper, where the dealer cut it, can be removed and replaced. I hope the whole bumper does not have to be replaced because I am fanatical about maintaining a cars original paint.
Old 09-28-07, 08:32 AM
94SC300TX
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnL34
So does anyone know how the bumper will be repaired? Looks to me like the center section of the bumper, where the dealer cut it, can be removed and replaced. I hope the whole bumper does not have to be replaced because I am fanatical about maintaining a cars original paint.
I think they can just order that part they cut into for the hitch, on my 07 it is a piece that pops off and back on. So, they could just paint that one piece and leave your bumper alone as long as it matched.
Old 09-28-07, 08:42 AM
gwong
Rookie

Yes there is a center piece for the rear bumper, but they cut part of the rear bumper. You will have to replace the rear bumper cover. Understand there is no point in ever cutting a piece of the rear bumper. Your rear bumper cover is physically damaged.
Old 09-28-07, 02:27 PM
JohnL34
Driver School Candidate

So here is the latest. I discussed the situation with the dealer today and they informed me they installed a factory hitch. The bumper cut out is only temporay as the ordered the new piece. (They must have forgotten to mention that on the customer receipt.) Furthermore, this hitch has the same towing capacity as the tube hitch but has a much cleaner look. The told me if i wanted the tube tow hitch they would install it for me but the one that is on the truck is better. I am trying to find out where they got this hitch from. The part number on the receipt is 1 51909-35011. I did a search on the internet but could not find it.
Old 09-28-07, 03:14 PM
gwong
Rookie

That is one sleazy dealership. The part number you provided is a good part number. That is the part number for hitch receiver for the early 2003 production run. It was a short run before they brought the current tubular design. The manual refers to the early hitch as a weight carrying hitch receiver, while the current design is referred to as weight distibuting hitch receiver, probably because the weight is distributed through the vehicle's frame rail, which how the current hitches are attached. The early design is only attached to the rear frame cross member/bumper. The manual says it is only rated for 5000 lbs, while the current design is rated for 6500 lbs. The early GX also had a different rear cutout that fit around the receiver, because the hitch sits higher, but the rear bumper cover is still the same as the current design so not sure how they are going to hide the cut damage to rear bumper. This is so wrong!
Old 09-28-07, 03:46 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I guess it was the first of the two guesses I had. Sorry JohnL34 but at least you know it is safe to use... up to 5000# only though.

I'd have them put the correct hitch on for your MY - the updated one rated to 6500# and replace the center bumper cover panel w/ another OEM one for your MY.

I'm baffled they took the hard route and installed that hitch as opposed to the updated one (which takes less time to install) unless they were just trying to use up left over parts........

BTW, nice comment about they forgot to add they were ordering a new cover on the work order.

Here's a link to the part # you provided from the w/o - clearly states for '03 models....
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=16

This just curiouser

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Oh my
Looks to me they did one of 2 things (both of which are wrong):

- installed an '03 / early '04 hitch (those MY's had a panel w/ a notch cut out to put in the bumper cover)
Old 09-28-07, 07:40 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JohnL34 I am not sure how close you are in proximenty to another Lexus dealer but if possible I really think you need to consider moving on to a different dealer.

Yes, this dealer may get it right if pressed the 2nd time around, but obviously they are either incompetent trying to install an old '03 out of date hitch on your new '07 GX or they are crooks trying to pass off an old part on you.

Do you really want those kind of people tinkering with your vehicle?

I would ask to speak to the owner or President and discuss this matter to see if there is any hope for working out a good relationship with them. I suppose it could just be one or two poor quality employees and that does not always mean the entire operation is suspect.

Take the picture and vehicle to show the owner or COO, show him/her the Lexus part number is for an '03 and is not as strong as the part designed for your 2007 GX.

Ask him/her if this is how they operate and what they are going to do to make this right. This should actually be a rather minor/easy to solve problem. How they handle it once upper management is aware of it will speak volumes about their operation.

In these situations it is good to ask the President, "well what would you do if this same thing had happened to you"? That statement can be helpful in building empathy.

Last edited by itsZep; 09-28-07 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-29-07, 11:40 AM
BobsGX
Racer

As others have said, it sounds like your dealer was just using what they had in stock instead of ordering and installing the correct tow hitch. Scoundrels at best. This is not a dealership I would want to deal with.
Old 10-05-07, 12:02 PM
GXlexus470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's an 03 hitch doing on a 07GX?! If they tell you that it is better... tell them not to BS you! on their face. take all the info you gathered here and use that for your argument.
Ask to speak to manager and owner and if they do not correct it... You can report the dealership to Lexus Corporate. That dealership needs to clean up their act. And if they ever hopefully correct your situation... Do not return there anymore... forever.
Go to another dealership and ask if they'd do otherwise. Which I believe they'd do.
I took some pics on mine, 03GX factory hitch so you can have an idea of the older version.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...0/CIMG0008.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...0/CIMG0009.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...0/CIMG0011.jpg
sorry couldn't get the pics to upload... so the link instead.
goodluck... by the way what is the name of the dealership and what city? if I got friends there... i will warn them.
Old 10-07-07, 07:50 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that after you confronted them about the butcher job on your rear bumper (I can't think of any other way to describe it, no insult intended to decent butchers), they decided they would order you a 2003 bumper insert.

I seem to remember reading there is a whole history on hitches for the original GX year, and it was not good. That is why Lexus made the change.

I second the suggestions to go to management on this - if they are not suitably embarrassed and eager to make good it speaks volumes. Of course then you will have to decide if you will want them tinkering with your truck after that.

Please do let us know who the dealer is!