GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Intermittent Poor Ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 11:35 PM
ka0t1c07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I was lucky to have my Driveshaft and control arms changed within a day.
Old 12-26-07, 09:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Salvator, I hope your dealer find a fix. Here is what I been doing. At stop, I put the rear suspension to high and just leave it there. When I drive off, it will go back to N and the ride will be good for a while. Its more of a band aid not a fix.
Above is a post I posted about 2 months ago. The funny thing is that I been doing the above procedure for about 2 months now. The poor ride seems to have gone away completely, I havent had to play with the rear height switch for about a month already and the ride is still smooth. I am wondering if anyone else have the same experience as I do.
Old 12-26-07, 07:58 PM
spirolli
Driver School Candidate

Nope. I've been manually adjusting for a few months now and unless I do, the ride still sucks. It bottomed out really hard the other day over a series of bumps. I was totally embarrassed for the folks sitting in the back seat. Any harder and they could of broke some teeth if you know what I mean. Man, I was pissed.

I plan on calling the dealer this week to start laying into them about the problem. I will be tenacious. I promise that.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-31-07, 04:40 PM
Salvator
Driver

I still have to reset manually, and today I had some sort of weird "loose" sound as I went over an off-camber hump in the road... sounded like a suspension component was loose and slipped... maybe taking mine in for that and the harshness issue...

Spirolli, it will interesting to see what your dealer says...
Old 01-07-08, 11:34 AM
Salvator
Driver

Had the "loose" sound again, entering a gas station apron from the street at an angle... sounds like something isn't tight... anyone else with this noise, post-clunk TSB? The vehicle has 25K miles...
Old 01-30-08, 06:38 PM
spirolli
Driver School Candidate

OK. Here's the deal.

I took my 07 GX470 into the dealer on Monday with a very good description of the rear ride problem. I dealt with the Asst Service Manager (he was excellent) who seemed to grasp exactly what I was talking about in terms of the rear suspension loosing air overnight.

As soon as I described it, he suspected it was the rear height sensors; so to play it safe, he ordered them in. Before actually replacing them, he let the truck sit overnight in an attempt to duplicate and confirm the problem was in fact, the rear height sensors. This was confirmed Tuesday morning. They replaced the sensors on Tuesday and let the truck sit overnight again to make sure this corrected the problem. I got the call this morning to tell me the cause of the harsh ride was the rear height sensors and they needed to be replaced.

I picked the truck up tonight and as soon as I hit the first bump coming out of the dealership driveway, I immediately noticed the ride I had been used to prior to fixing the "clunk". It road great.! I'm pretty confident he nailed it.

The real test will happen tomorrow morning after the truck sits out overnight.

Here's the part numbers and the details of what was on the receipt / no-charge invoice.

If you don't hear back from me, assume this was the fix.
------------------------------------------------------------
Cause: Ride height does not go up open circuit in sensor replaced both rear height sensors.

857121 R.HT CNTRL SNSR SUBASSY, 1-SD
105 WLEX 1.00
1 89407-60022 SENSOR SUB-ASSY, HEI
1 89408-60011 SENSOR SUB-ASSY, HEI

FC: 72/71
Part#: 89407-60022
Count: 2
Claim Type: RG

Last edited by spirolli; 01-31-08 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Left out the closing sentence.
Old 01-31-08, 09:46 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by spirolli
OK. Here's the deal.

I took my 07 GX470 into the dealer on Monday with a very good description of the rear ride problem. I dealt with the Asst Service Manager (he was excellent) who seemed to grasp exactly what I was talking about in terms of the rear suspension loosing air overnight.

As soon as I described it, he suspected it was the rear height sensors; so to play it safe, he ordered them in. Before actually replacing them, he let the truck sit overnight in an attempt to duplicate and confirm the problem was in fact, the rear height sensors. This was confirmed Tuesday morning. They replaced the sensors on Tuesday and let the truck sit overnight again to make sure this corrected the problem. I got the call this morning to tell me the cause of the harsh ride was the rear height sensors and they needed to be replaced.

I picked the truck up tonight and as soon as I hit the first bump coming out of the dealership driveway, I immediately noticed the ride I had been used to prior to fixing the "clunk". It road great.! I'm pretty confident he nailed it.

The real test will happen tomorrow morning after the truck sits out overnight.

Here's the part numbers and the details of what was on the receipt / no-charge invoice.

If you don't hear back from me, assume this was the fix.
------------------------------------------------------------
Cause: Ride height does not go up open circuit in sensor replaced both rear height sensors.

857121 R.HT CNTRL SNSR SUBASSY, 1-SD
105 WLEX 1.00
1 89407-60022 SENSOR SUB-ASSY, HEI
1 89408-60011 SENSOR SUB-ASSY, HEI

FC: 72/71
Part#: 89407-60022
Count: 2
Claim Type: RG
Thanks for the update! I'm still resetting mine manually, sometimes multiple times during the day... Whenever I park, it drops down and I think it doesn't refill properly... I'll have to mention the rear sensors when I take it in for 30K service... They didn't have any explanation as to why they had both failed, did they? (My concern is that it has something to do with the TSB... which would explain why a number of us are experiencing this... )
Old 01-31-08, 10:04 AM
spirolli
Driver School Candidate

Sal- Yes, it certainly has something do with the TSB performed to fix the "clunk". The poor ride started the day I picked up the truck from the clunk fix.

I believe it had something to do with re-normalizing the rear suspension after they replace the parts necessary to fix the clunk (or lack of). I remember reading a post at one point in time where the owner took the truck back a few days after having the clunk fixed for a poor rear ride. The Lexus tech's apparently "normalized" the rear suspension and all was fine. Although I was never able to find that post again so I never brought it up to the dealership.

In my case, they replaced both rear height sensors yesterday and it took care of the problem. When I started the truck this morning, there was plenty of air in the rear suspension. I didn't touch any buttons this morning and the truck road great.! Better then even doing the N to L, then N to H then back to the N thing.

After driving for a while, I went ahead and checked how long it took for the rear suspension to go from the N position to the L position and what used to be instantaneous, took about 7 seconds.. .confirming once again that there was plenty of air in the rear suspension.

Problem solved.

Steve
Old 01-31-08, 03:56 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '06 still did not have the "clunk" TSB performed, but it does experience the poor ride condition. I perform "THE PROCEDURE" almost every time I get in the truck.
Old 02-11-08, 06:03 AM
dholling13
Driver

After my long over due clunk fix our GX470 feels very twitchy in the rear at 65 MPH. I think either the rear suspension is out of alignment or a shock has gone bad. I am taking it in on the 27th of the month. Let you all know what I find out.
Old 02-11-08, 07:43 AM
Salvator
Driver

Problem solved.

Steve
I'll be taking mine in about a month or so for the 30k service... will bring up the rear height sensor concern at that time...

Thanks!
Old 02-18-08, 02:15 PM
dholling13
Driver

Answer to the poor performance issue in my gx470 was the tech stripped the lead bolt in the left rear trailing arm.

Hello fellow Lexus owner over in Eastern Europe; sorry but I can't answer your question.I am sure someone here knows the answer.
Old 02-25-08, 02:16 PM
rklages
Pole Position

I tried the cycle through the ride height settings and maybe it is all in my head, but it does seem better now - usually my wife drives the car, so I should gone and found a speed bump and drove over it a few times, then tried the cycle, but it does feel decent now, where before I would hit a bump and wonder why it hit the rear so hard!

Good find!

ROb
Old 04-22-08, 06:54 PM
Salvator
Driver

Going in tomorrow for 30K and harsh ride / noise... See what they come back with... wish me luck!
Old 04-24-08, 09:33 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem solved.

Steve
spirolli,

It has been a couple of months now since you had the height sensors replaced. Is it still riding nicely??? Or have you had to cycle through the settings anymore?

An update would be very helpful

Quick Reply: Intermittent Poor Ride