GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wish list on re-designed GX470

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 12:47 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh, I forgot, take the exta button space on the right side of the steering wheel and put A/C fan controls there so you don't have to go into the Nav screen to change the fan speed.
Old 09-04-07, 12:52 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
No, I'd rather keep the solid rear axle. They could just stretch the body another 5 inches and move the seats 5 inches further back. I don't even mind if they use the same 3rd row design that flips up sideways. The independent rear suspension would probably only be necessary for a design that folds down into the floor like on the 3rd row of the MDX.
Stretch body = stretching wheelbase = poor breakover angle = worst off-road performance. If you choose to stretch the front and rear instead of the middle part of the GX, then you will have poor approach and departure angles.
Old 09-04-07, 01:36 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Stretch body = stretching wheelbase = poor breakover angle = worst off-road performance. If you choose to stretch the front and rear instead of the middle part of the GX, then you will have poor approach and departure angles.
True, but the current GX already has a relatively short wheel base for its class (109.8" compared to, for example, Range Rover at 113.4" and Toureg?/Cayenne at 112.4"). So Lexus could stretch the wheelbase by 3.6" and still be the same as the RR which is apparently content with the associated breakover angle (although I think the RR benefits from air susp at all 4 corners unlike the GX just at the rear). Then Lexus could lengthen the body by an extra 0.7 inches at each end (which would have a negligible effect on the approach / departure angles) and voila, there's the 5 inches Alternatively, I would be happy with just an adjustable sliding 2nd row so I could divvy up the leg room btwn the 2nd and 3rd rows myself.

Last edited by GatorGreg; 09-04-07 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 01:48 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, 4runner's breakover angle is 22 degrees. The GX with it's rear air suspension may make it 23 degrees at most. If you stretch the wheelbase without adding air suspension front and rear, then your breakover angle will drop to a dismal 20 degree or less. This is about the same as a fullsize truck.

GG, I think that your last suggestion is the best...like what the CRV and Highlander have.
Old 09-05-07, 12:15 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about Rear A/C controls up front so driver can adjust instead of trying to reach around and fiddle blindly with rear controls while driving!?!
Old 09-05-07, 02:05 PM
vipers5397
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusBob
How about Rear A/C controls up front so driver can adjust instead of trying to reach around and fiddle blindly with rear controls while driving!?!
I go that down to a skill now, so I would hate to see that change .
Old 09-05-07, 06:15 PM
Josh's GX
Rookie

So what I would like to have on the new GX is:

- Four wheel air suspension
- Cooled seats with heated rear seats
- Rear heat out vents rather than just under front seats
- More HP and maybe the 5.7L engine
- HID or LED headlights that adapt…a must
- Fold flat third row with more leg room
- Larger Wheels
- Smart Key entry and engine start/stop
- A few more speakers with a little more power
- Larger sunroof

It looks like I may have the largest list, but all in all, I really do love my 2006 GX; I’m just being extra picky.
Old 09-05-07, 10:14 PM
GXlexus470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusBob
Exactly what i was looking for just this afternoon after picking up kids from school... did not realized our GX does not come with it. Wife's 2000 Nissan Quest had this feature... now why didn't Lexus think of that!.
Old 09-11-07, 09:42 AM
watersuper
Driver School Candidate

How about the AC inverter in the back having at least a 15 amp capacity to make it a little more useful.
Lighting and ride quality have already been discussed.
Old 09-11-07, 10:56 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Linko
- Power rear vent windows and power up/down tailgate window (like on 4Runner & Sequoia)
- Cooled seats
- iPod integration (menu, etc available through stereo controls or nav screen)
- Longer rear cargo area (would also help 3rd row seat legroom)
- Hybrid engine option
- Center console armrest
- Change tailgate to lift instead of swing door
- Push-button start
I really like this list. Especially the hybrid engine. I'd even love to see an electric/diesel hybrid. I don't mind the swing open rear door, but I know it's a big deal to some folks.
Old 09-11-07, 06:02 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by watersuper
How about the AC inverter in the back having at least a 15 amp capacity to make it a little more useful.
Lighting and ride quality have already been discussed.
While we are at it, how about a standard three prong grounded plug receptacle? Also,make it flat so that real plugs or even two prong transformers will fit.

The current AC inverter is basically useless. It is almost like it was designed that way so that nobody can complain it damaged their expensive electronics.

I am currently on my hopefully last leg of about a 2000 mile round trip. I plan to add my comments with this extra experience in mind!
Old 09-14-07, 03:24 PM
GXlexus470
Driver

Originally Posted by jacksonian
I really like this list. Especially the hybrid engine. I'd even love to see an electric/diesel hybrid. I don't mind the swing open rear door, but I know it's a big deal to some folks.
definitely a diesel engine option... they have those S15 ultra low-sulfur ones already out... or like the mercedes E320 bluetech.
Old 09-20-07, 10:33 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

After commuting for the last two days into the City (SF) in the GX, I vote for a Lexus tuned TRD suspension package with either 4 coil or air springs. My normal communter (Cayman) has an overall better ride, and actually absorbs the same bumps and impacts far better too, with a much softer transition into the bumpstops. Has anyone ever looked at the bumpstop marks on their rear axle?

The LR3's air spring suspension is much, much better in terms of ride and bump/impact absorbtion too.
Old 09-21-07, 05:36 AM
Liam
Driver School Candidate

Default 09 wish ist

power operated rear liftgate - current side opening model is a pain;
originally wanted a 6 CD in dash changer in our GX470 until we purchased a 2008 Infiniti G37 with the built in 9.3 gb hard drive - much better than carrying around a bunch of CDs - car also has a compact flash slot in case you reach the 150 CD maximum on the hard drive;
we don't have the 3rd row seat in our GX470 and thus no rear A/C - but rear air controls should be accessible to the driver - our old Surbubans & Tahoes had that feature;
we are retired and use the GX for lots of long distance travel - airlines have become too much hassle and we have the time;
very informative forum
Old 09-21-07, 07:40 AM
Liam
Driver School Candidate

Default one more thing

The GX470 needs a back up camera

Quick Reply: Wish list on re-designed GX470