GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Question about Vaistech

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 09:19 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Vaistech

I've got about 1900 songs on my ipod. I'm wondering - if I get a vaistech to be able hook up and control my ipod through my nav screen/steering wheel controls - will I be able to acess all 1900 songs through my car controls? or only a subset of that? Just wondering if anyone here has hooked an ipod up to a (2004) gx with navigation.
Thanks for any info.
Old 08-03-07, 11:47 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Vaistech works pretty well ...

Originally Posted by daleer
I've got about 1900 songs on my ipod. I'm wondering - if I get a vaistech to be able hook up and control my ipod through my nav screen/steering wheel controls - will I be able to acess all 1900 songs through my car controls? or only a subset of that? Just wondering if anyone here has hooked an ipod up to a (2004) gx with navigation.
Thanks for any info.
I have that configuration. The system works pretty well. I have a 30GB gen III ipod that works well. I understand the newer gen Ipods work even better. The only issue is sometimes you have to cycle between FM and disc to get the audio going. But, that is pretty rare these days. The software has certainly been improved. As for accessing that many songs. It is all doable, but you have to group them into playlists. And that is how the Vaistech unit addresses the Ipod. Under the MD (disc) menu, you will have a "mulit-disc" changer selector which address a playlist like a "disc" (you will only see the first 12 playlists, but the others can be accessed by cycling with steering wheel control). Depending on you have have the unit set up, you will see playlist title on top line and either the artist or the song title on the second line.
The system works, and I have never regretted installing it. I have it installed under the glove box. No screws, it just perches on top of a panel there and never moves. Sound is good, they have installed isolation transformers so there is no hum.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-03-07, 01:03 PM
daleer
Pole Position

ADVocate - exactly the kind of info I was looking for - very helpful! Thanks so much!!
Old 08-06-07, 06:24 PM
Josh's GX
Rookie

I have a 2006 GX and plan to get an Ipod soon. I wanted to look into the Vaistech, but have also heard of http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1169512058255 at Best Buy. It's made by Dlo and you plug your Ipod into it and it will broadcast over the FM radio in the vehicle. I have Nav. in my unit, but my question is, has anyone heard/used this thing or something like it before? If so what are your thoughts on it compared to the Vaistech?
Old 08-06-07, 11:43 PM
lexus27
Pit Crew

Josh's GX,

I have one of these Vaistech for the Ipod but I am only using it for the DVD connection to the stereo and not the IPOD port. I cannot comment on how the interface looks as far as if the song info actually shows up on the NAV screen or not since I have not tried it. But, the Vaistech is a direct connection the stock stereo and the sound is very clean! The IPOD connection from the Bestbuy unit is thru radiowaves (FM) to your stock stereo. You can draw you own conclusions as to which one is better.

From experience, I've had one of these type of connections (FM modulation scheme) before for my GX's DVD player and I threw it away after getting the Vaistech.
Old 08-07-07, 09:12 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Vaistech SoundLinQ SLI installed in 2006 GX. It uses "MD Emulation mode". You will need to setup your ipod music collection into playlists. Maximum 99 playlists and 999 songs in a playlist (with the latest FW - 4.35 --previous FW had a limit of 99 songs in a playlist). Playlists are played in alphabetical order. Songs inside the playlists stay organized same as in iTunes. All the controls (including on the steering wheel) work similar to CD changer. I have a 60GB Photo iPod with approx 3000 songs, organized into 58 playlists. Everything works great. Great sound quality, no problems with controls, no need to cycle between FM, AM or whatever. Some people seem to have an issue with the newer iPods (Gen 5, Video, etc.), and some other emulation modes. GX 2006 supports "MD Emulation" ONLY, and it works really well with older iPods. There is no comparison to FM Modulation products like iTrip and such. This is directly wired into the audio network in your car. It's properly recognized by other devices and audio is feed through the wires, not FM transmission. You do not compromise your music's quality with direct wired product like Vaistech.
Old 08-09-07, 01:53 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Gsobol - thanks for the info. So if I have say 1800 songs I could put them in just 2 playlists of 900 each? Can you then select a song by artist and title via your nav/steering wheel - or do would I actually have to scroll through 900 songs to get to the one I want? If it's the second case - then I'd want to break down into as many playlists as possible to make picking a particular artist/song as easy as possible - am I understanding correctly?
Thanks again!
Old 08-09-07, 03:16 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool All in the naming ....

Originally Posted by gsobol
I have Vaistech SoundLinQ SLI installed in 2006 GX. It uses "MD Emulation mode". You will need to setup your ipod music collection into playlists. Maximum 99 playlists and 999 songs in a playlist (with the latest FW - 4.35 --previous FW had a limit of 99 songs in a playlist). Playlists are played in alphabetical order. Songs inside the playlists stay organized same as in iTunes. All the controls (including on the steering wheel) work similar to CD changer. I have a 60GB Photo iPod with approx 3000 songs, organized into 58 playlists. Everything works great. Great sound quality, no problems with controls, no need to cycle between FM, AM or whatever. Some people seem to have an issue with the newer iPods (Gen 5, Video, etc.), and some other emulation modes. GX 2006 supports "MD Emulation" ONLY, and it works really well with older iPods. There is no comparison to FM Modulation products like iTrip and such. This is directly wired into the audio network in your car. It's properly recognized by other devices and audio is feed through the wires, not FM transmission. You do not compromise your music's quality with direct wired product like Vaistech.
I got around the Alphabetical only sorting by using numbers at the start of the playlist title (e.g. "01 Best list") in that way I could associate a particular playlist with that button in the MD selection.

If what you are saying is true about NEVER having to cycle audio on your 2006, would lead me to believe that the OEM Nav interface is now improved over 2004. The problem crops up when listening to a CD or DVD and switch to the MD mode. The device had no audio output, but at that time if you switch to FM and than back to DISC (MD mode), the audio output is restored.
Old 08-10-07, 12:09 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daleer
Gsobol - thanks for the info. So if I have say 1800 songs I could put them in just 2 playlists of 900 each? Can you then select a song by artist and title via your nav/steering wheel - or do would I actually have to scroll through 900 songs to get to the one I want? If it's the second case - then I'd want to break down into as many playlists as possible to make picking a particular artist/song as easy as possible - am I understanding correctly?
Thanks again!
Yes, you could put 900 songs in the playlist, no problem (not recommended - read on). No, you can not select by artist or title. Yes, you would have to scroll through 900 songs. You have to think about it as if you would have a 99 CD changer in your car. Same like on a CD, you can only skip through the track selection. Organize your iPod playlists using smart playlists, use number prefixes for the playlists you want to appear first, etc...
Old 08-10-07, 08:43 PM
pump142
Driver

who is doing the installs?
Old 08-11-07, 10:18 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pump142
who is doing the installs?
I was lucky. I drove to Denver on my vacation last year. That's were Vaistech is located. I called them and they have directed me to their local installer. One hour later SLI was installed. I'm pretty sure that any reputable car audio installer will be able to do the install. You can install it yourself, there's even a thread here somewhere that shows how to take the center console apart.

Try:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...x+radio+remove

This one might be better:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...tall+with+pics

The wiring instructions for vaistech are available online from vaistech website. It's all plug-n-pray.
Old 08-12-07, 11:47 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Yes, you could put 900 songs in the playlist, no problem (not recommended - read on). No, you can not select by artist or title. Yes, you would have to scroll through 900 songs. You have to think about it as if you would have a 99 CD changer in your car. Same like on a CD, you can only skip through the track selection. Organize your iPod playlists using smart playlists, use number prefixes for the playlists you want to appear first, etc...

Thanks for the info!