GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How to change the oil on your GX470

Old 07-13-07, 06:54 AM
shodog
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change the oil on your GX470

Recently, I was getting ready to change the oil on my GX470 and I wanted to get information on how to do it. I Looked all over this forum trying to find a DIY guide but to no avail. So I figured I would take some pics and make a DIY guide.

First you need to gather the tools needed for the job.

A ratchet with a 10mm, 12mm, a14mm sockets and a flat bladed screw driver. Two socket extensions and oil filter wrench. Next, you need to get the truck up off the ground so you can work on it. I used ramps to drive up on. To access the oil filter, you need to remove the front skid plate which is accomplished by removing 4 12mm screws which bolt the skid to the frame and 2 10mm screws and a push pin on the front plastic.

There are two metal clips that keep the skid plate on. If you have the truck high enough, the skid will just swing out of the way but since I was only a few feet up I need to remove the skid which requires you to weasel these clips out of the holes.

With the skid removed, you now have access to the oil filter.

The oil pan drain plug can be accessed from a removable panel so you don’t need to remove the rear skid.

To remove the drain plug use your 14mm socket with the longest extension.

The oil filter has a nice little funnel plate that allows you to capture the drips.

Re install your drain plug and note that it doesn’t need a crush washer. Reinstall the filter with a bit of oil around the rubber ring. Put it on hand tight, the rubber seal will swell causing it to become tighter. I used this opportunity to clean up the area before reinstalling the front skid

To install the skid plate, reverse the process you used to take it off. Pour six quarts of oil in, drink the obligatory beer and you are done.

Last edited by shodog; 06-18-08 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 10:48 AM
Salvator
Driver

Nicely done! Thanks!
Old 07-13-07, 12:04 PM
CaptnPete
Driver School Candidate

Nice pictures.

However, I replace the washer on the drain plug everytime I change oil. It is a type of plastic washer and is sold as an extra when you buy the Toyota filter.
Old 07-13-07, 08:46 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 qts? Are you sure that is enough oil in there? I thought it was around 6-7 qts for the GX.
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (04-24-19)
Old 07-15-07, 12:06 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Anyone else notice that the little plastic pin that is in the middle between the 2 bolts holding the plastic piece to the front of the skid plate is a bear to remove? I used a small screwdriver on each side of this little pin trying to pop the head loose and even then the thing holds on for dear life.
Old 07-15-07, 09:09 AM
HoboGX
Driver School Candidate

Very cool. BTW, do you Armour All the inside of your tires as well. They have quite a shine.
Old 07-15-07, 10:36 PM
shodog
Rookie

Originally Posted by lxgs4
5 qts? Are you sure that is enough oil in there? I thought it was around 6-7 qts for the GX.
My bad, i should have wrote 6 quarts. I guess that Obligatory beer did more than I thought.

Originally Posted by HoboGX
Very cool. BTW, do you Armour All the inside of your tires as well. They have quite a shine.
Doesn't everyone? no the tire was still wet from my wash job. just a note, there are some electrical lines running around that area so you need to be gentle witht he spray.
Old 07-16-07, 08:10 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good writeup and good pics! A couple other comments that might be helpful to some who isn't used to doing their own oil changes but is contemplating doing so....

You don't really have to have ramps or use a lifting device -- you can just crawl under the truck and do the work since it's pretty high off the ground. That's what I did, but of course it'd easier with ramps -- I was just too lazy to get them or the floor jack out.

When tightening the filter, be sure that you (other readers) don't mis-interpret the words "hand tight." That means pretty tight -- about 3/4 turn after the gasket contacts the base. It does NOT mean "finger tight" or just barely tight.
Old 07-16-07, 08:33 AM
AustinGX
Driver School Candidate

Default to ramp or not to ramp.....

This really make life easier when changing oil,
it's also very useful for visual inspections.

How to change the oil on your GX470-dscn1201.jpg
Old 07-19-07, 11:38 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what i've been looking for. nice write up...thanks! i wish there were more write ups for alot of the DIY on this site. There should be a section where DIY write up this belongs to.

Just a thought!
Old 07-27-07, 09:41 PM
Stufam15
Driver School Candidate

Default Great pics and guidlines

I just posted a request for how to do the oil, and then I found your DIY post. Thanks for the info. Do you know what filter and brand of oil that I need for a 2007 GX470?
Old 07-27-07, 10:07 PM
shodog
Rookie

I used a Bosch filter and Castrol Syntec oil. As long as your changing oil out at regular intervals, you will be fine with parts you can pick up at Kragen/pep boys
Old 07-29-07, 03:02 PM
dionysius
Driver School Candidate

Can you use the larger oil filter that the Toyota LC uses on the V8? This was the part number Toyota oil filter p/n 15600-41010.

Denis

Last edited by dionysius; 07-29-07 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 06:24 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Don't have to remove the front skid plate!!

I changed the oil and filter on our new GX last weekend. I could reach the oil filter through an opening from the side (DS)....little cumbersome. Needed an oil wrench (like shown here) to loosen the filter. However, once loosened, slowly turned it and carefully removed it from the side opening with just a few drops spilled!

The oil change did not go smoothly though. I had to remove the rear skid plate to clean/wipe the spilled oil that splashed off when I open the drain plug!!

Options
Old 11-07-07, 05:26 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up. Now here's a debate that's been going on for a while. Is it better to drain the oil after the car's been running or after the cars been sitting all night?

To me I think its better to draing it after its been sitting all night since most of the oil is in the oil pan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change the oil on your GX470