GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How to change the oil on your GX470

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 01:00 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I had a Fumoto on a previous vehicle, I just didn't think it helped all that much and I never liked how it stuck out from beneath the oil pan.

On this car at least, it's the oil filter that always makes the big mess. And the under carriage guard coming on and off.
Old 06-23-17, 05:17 PM
TyneeGX
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New pan

So after going to Napa, AutoZone, Advance Auto, and a hardware store, none could accurately guess the threads on the bogus drain pan bolt.
so.... I'm thinking of getting a new pan.
Frustration level is quite high at the moment.
Old 06-26-17, 07:19 AM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I had a Fumoto on a previous vehicle, I just didn't think it helped all that much and I never liked how it stuck out from beneath the oil pan.

On this car at least, it's the oil filter that always makes the big mess. And the under carriage guard coming on and off.
with the skid plates, the fumoto is protected and if you get a long funnel and cut out part of it, it will fit up under the filter and there is no mess
Like post number 13 here https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/whi...#post-11026887
Old 12-31-17, 06:48 AM
Butcherpen
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djspock303
Admins - Sticky DIY Possibly?

When you are desperate and you have a oil filter that was on to tight, or just doesn't want to come off, or you don't have a fancy oil filter clamp/wrench then result to the old racer/mechanic knowledge.

Get you a hammer and a screw driver and a trash bag. You can hammer the screw driver into the oil filter near the top of the filter (not the part by the engine block) and use that screw driver to get you leverage on the filter to "unscrew it" or at least loosen it until you can do it by hand. Your going to dispose of that filter anyway. Just my two cents. -
That's what I had to do. There is no room for my oil wrench (strap type). I don't remember it being that hard last time.
Old 04-23-19, 09:43 AM
jprlexusgx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALAN553
http://www.fumotousa.com

Makes oil change a snap, attach hose to valve and drain wherever you want. That plastic cover...pretty delicate, plastic hooks break off pretty easily
I've always been concerned of these because I am not sure if once threaded in, there are any threads than go past the hole and in turn leaving old oil inside the pan. Has anyone ever taken their oil pan out and seeing if any threads are exposed or flush???

found the answer to my own concern....

From Fumoto
Q.Does my Engine Oil Drain Valve protrude into the interior of the oil pan and prevent full drainage of my engine oil?

A.No. The threaded oil drain plug hole is always reinforced to accept the threaded bolt of the drain plug. Your Engine Oil Drain Valve will not extend past this threaded portion of the drain hole and will allow the oil to be properly drained. Your Engine Oil Drain Valve will let you drain your engine oil while it is hot without burning your hands and it is much more effective than trying to pump the oil out from above.

And a thread I found.... CLICK HERE

Last edited by jprlexusgx; 04-23-19 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 10:02 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

i have been using the valve for over 10 years...it always seems like it drains totally...you get the last 5 minutes of drip, drip, drip which i assume you would not get if it protruded into the pan, once it were past the threads it would stop...but it keeps going just like taking the plug out....
The following users liked this post:
RockfordRX (04-23-19)
Old 05-25-19, 06:15 PM
gmoneygo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the exact same procedure today. Skid plate was not fun.
Old 03-06-20, 04:56 AM
512TXS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gx470 oil change video

Originally Posted by shodog
Recently, I was getting ready to change the oil on my GX470 and I wanted to get information on how to do it. I Looked all over this forum trying to find a DIY guide but to no avail. So I figured I would take some pics and make a DIY guide.

First you need to gather the tools needed for the job.

A ratchet with a 10mm, 12mm, a14mm sockets and a flat bladed screw driver. Two socket extensions and oil filter wrench. Next, you need to get the truck up off the ground so you can work on it. I used ramps to drive up on. To access the oil filter, you need to remove the front skid plate which is accomplished by removing 4 12mm screws which bolt the skid to the frame and 2 10mm screws and a push pin on the front plastic.

There are two metal clips that keep the skid plate on. If you have the truck high enough, the skid will just swing out of the way but since I was only a few feet up I need to remove the skid which requires you to weasel these clips out of the holes.

With the skid removed, you now have access to the oil filter.

The oil pan drain plug can be accessed from a removable panel so you don’t need to remove the rear skid.

To remove the drain plug use your 14mm socket with the longest extension.

The oil filter has a nice little funnel plate that allows you to capture the drips.

Re install your drain plug and note that it doesn’t need a crush washer. Reinstall the filter with a bit of oil around the rubber ring. Put it on hand tight, the rubber seal will swell causing it to become tighter. I used this opportunity to clean up the area before reinstalling the front skid

To install the skid plate, reverse the process you used to take it off. Pour six quarts of oil in, drink the obligatory beer and you are done.
Excellent write up. Here is a video for those who want it:

Old 03-06-20, 04:57 AM
512TXS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GX470: Oil Change DIY

Enjoy and subscribe.

The following users liked this post:
DiNAMiK (06-16-20)