GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Baby Seat in the GX470???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 08:15 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby Seat in the GX470???

I've just been blessed with twins!! I want to get a GX, just love it.
Any one have rear facing baby seats in the GX? Is there ample room?

Or do I have to put the front seats all the way forward like a little old lady?

Any comments would be appreciated. You'll save me a visit to the dealer and try test fitting.
Old 07-12-07, 09:18 PM
joesmoe
Driver School Candidate

We had lots of room in our 03 4runner, now I have the gx and its more room than the 4runner, so I don't think you will have a problem.
I have 2 front facing seats in there with now, with no issues.

And congrats on your twins ...

"remember it only gets better"
Old 07-13-07, 04:05 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2yr old and a 2 month old, both girls.

The 2 month old is behind me which takes more room then the toddler seat.

I'm 6ft tall and use to ride gangsta but can't these days....hahahah

I still sit further back then most people and have enough space so you should be fine.

I use to have both of them side by side but then decided to have my 2yr old in the 3rd row, she loves it back there because to her it feels like a bus and with this setup I don't have to unbuckle anything if more people need to ride in the car.

I have the combi infant car seat and base so you might want to compare specs to make sure your's not much larger then what I'm using.
Old 07-13-07, 05:20 AM
Reboot
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a front facing seat in there right now. I don't think a rear facing will have any issues at all. There's definitely enough room in there unless you and your passenger are both 7' tall.

Congratulations on the little ones! They'll wear you out.
Old 07-13-07, 11:06 AM
Josh's GX
Rookie

Twins...that's great! Congratulations! I have a 13 month old son and we recently switched him from rear facing to forward facing. When his Britax rear facing seat was behind the passenger seat, the seat had to be up quite a ways, but the car seat was also huge. Now we have the Britax Marathon and it's also large, but since it's forward facing, it takes up much less space. One thing you should note however since you will be using two car seats is that if you plan to use LATCH, the car seat that is placed behind the driver seat will be off center (between the center and left seats). This was frustrating for me when my nephew would ride with us in his car seat, but to accommodate, we would just not use the LATCH and instead buckle him up and use the Tethers too. I love the GX and highly recommend it.
Old 07-13-07, 02:59 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Thanks Everyone.
That is good news.. GX it is going to be!
Old 07-13-07, 04:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Depends

Congrats on your twins.
It will be a little tight but depends on what seats you purchase.
As we only needed one baby seat we went with the Britax Companion Rear (top rated) and now have the larger Britax Boulevard(rear and front facing). Both are large seats but we chose those for safety.
Problem with the GX is that the latch design could be spaced better to accommodate these seats as it is safer and recommended to place a babyseat in the middle which the GX is not set up for with much ease without intruding on any side passengers. As you will be using the side(s) you may want to check clearance of the front seats with your baby seats installed as there is no way the Britax Boulevard will fit behind the drivers seat with me up front-I'm 6'0". Smaller seats may work but I would check fitment first or tell us which seats you have or intend to get. I would be happy to post a pic if anyone is interested.
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 07-14-07 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-14-07, 09:47 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kphu
I have a 2yr old and a 2 month old, both girls.

The 2 month old is behind me which takes more room then the toddler seat.

I'm 6ft tall and use to ride gangsta but can't these days....hahahah

I still sit further back then most people and have enough space so you should be fine.

I use to have both of them side by side but then decided to have my 2yr old in the 3rd row, she loves it back there because to her it feels like a bus and with this setup I don't have to unbuckle anything if more people need to ride in the car.

I have the combi infant car seat and base so you might want to compare specs to make sure your's not much larger then what I'm using.
How do you get your 2 year old in the 3rd seat easily?
Old 07-14-07, 12:05 PM
klopez3709
Rookie

Congrats! I don't have twins, but my mid-20s kids are 13 months apart - almost like twins! Savor it when they're little!
Old 07-14-07, 12:07 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
How do you get your 2 year old in the 3rd seat easily?
2 month old baby would be in the 2nd row, middle seat, leaving the right side seat to lift up. The 2 year old would then get in and sit in the 3rd row, right seat Sorry to answer that question for you kphu

Congrats on the the twins CO-LS400

Hopefully you don't the need 3rd row seat down, because space will be extremely limited should you need them for the twins double stroller.

I have a 17 month old and a 4 month old, one rear facing and one front facing, both in the 2nd row. Wife sits in the back with them and 3rd row seat is folded up.
Old 07-14-07, 05:15 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Sorry to answer that question for you kphu
No problem. Yeah that's how I got it setup. I leave the right 2nd row seat folded up since on a daily basis I have no other passengers so its easy to have my daughter get in and out.

Only on a monthly basis we have dinner with the extended family at our usual restaurant that we require the additional seating.

Her parents no longer have cars and uses public transportation if needed. My mother-in-law is retired and father in law works in the city so he takes the rail. No point in having a car.
Old 07-14-07, 08:29 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kphu
No problem. Yeah that's how I got it setup. I leave the right 2nd row seat folded up since on a daily basis I have no other passengers so its easy to have my daughter get in and out.

Only on a monthly basis we have dinner with the extended family at our usual restaurant that we require the additional seating.

Her parents no longer have cars and uses public transportation if needed. My mother-in-law is retired and father in law works in the city so he takes the rail. No point in having a car.
Please help me to understand how this is more convenient. I have a baby on the way who will be rear facing and my 3.5 year old can sit anywhere in his booster seat. I would love to know how you guys have everything set up to see how I might do things better. Please explain in detail.
Old 07-15-07, 09:16 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
Please help me to understand how this is more convenient. I have a baby on the way who will be rear facing and my 3.5 year old can sit anywhere in his booster seat. I would love to know how you guys have everything set up to see how I might do things better. Please explain in detail.
Like the saying goes, pictures are worth a thousand words.

Behind the driver seat is the rear facing infant car seat base. The car seat attaches to the base. I leave the right 2nd row seat folded up as in the picture.

Last edited by kphu; 08-25-07 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-15-07, 09:17 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

The front facing baby seat is in the passenger side 3rd row seat. The driver side 3rd row seat is folded up so I can fit the double stroller.

Last edited by kphu; 08-25-07 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-15-07, 09:22 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the 2nd baby!

I think these 2 pictures explains it pretty well.

With the way this is setup you still have the front passenger seat available and if needed you can fit 2 more people in the middle by folding back the passenger 2nd row seat.

You could put the rear facing seat in the middle of the 2nd row but since the infant car seat is heavy with a little one in it, I put it behind me so its easier to get in and out of the car. Also to mention that on a daily basis I don't have any other passengers.

Last thing I should mention is that I strapped the double stroller using the strap from the 3rd row seat to it so that it doesn't fall on my 2 yr old.

Quick Reply: Baby Seat in the GX470???