GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2007 MDX vs 2006 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 10:30 PM
PGX470B
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 MDX vs 2006 GX470

Hello Lexus community!
I thought this topic needed a thread of its own (partially continued from my "Need advice: Buying 06 Gx470")
Though the deal for the 06 GX470 fell through, I was still offered a different deal for $40,000 (which I'm still happy with) for essentially the same car (with less mileage and same options): black, navi, rear dvd, fully loaded etc. etc.
However, with the urging of my friend, I took a test-drive this past weekend in a 07 MDX and I must say I was pretty damn impressed. As a result, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I really like both cars but both have their minuses and plusses:
GX470
+'s: beautiful car outside (imo), much better looking, classier exterior than the 07 mdx, off road capability, cheaper ($40k), 100k warranty
-'s: older car (14k miles), 3rd row is TINY, in fact, 2nd row can be a lil cramped up too!, worse mpg, outdated, older look to interior (imo)

MDX
+'s:newer car, like the interior better (seems more updated, sleeker), more hp, better mileage, roomier 2nd row and 3rd row,
-'s: more expensive ($45k for sport&ent. package); tacky grille, risky on a 1st gen.

These are just some of factors I'm considering.

Obviously, since this is a GX470 forum there will be a great contingent of loyal lexus fans, but I also know that the posters here are greatly informed.

An unbiased opinion would be most ideal, but any kind of opinion would be greatly appreciated as I would be very grateful for any kind of input on a big decision like this.

This will be my first real car purchase (as I am retiring my 95 4runner ) and I will be most likely purchasing my "dream car" this week. I want to be sure to consider all the factors.
Thanks guys, I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum, what a great site!
Old 06-20-07, 12:27 AM
pump142
Driver

the 1st gen thing is huge.
Even though Acura has a good reputation there are bound to be issues.
My ex-pilot was 1st gen and it had all kinds of trim issues. One example was the seat trim broke 8 times in 3 years and all they could say was I was sitting wrong? And this was is Honda who make pretty decent machines.

My sister bought the Dodge Neon 1st gen. Now Im not now, and never was, a huge Chrysler fan but that thing proved to be the biggest POS I have ever seen. It got a new motor and tranny at 86K.

In short, go with proven. After all, its alot of $$$

Last edited by pump142; 06-20-07 at 12:30 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-20-07, 05:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

For another $1000, you can buy a brand new GX with nav. Thats the way to go I think. The MDX is design for performance, as far as luxury is concern, it does not even come close to the GX. I had a 03 MDX and upgarded to the GX, whats a diff. in comfort. The GX has a classic interior that is one of the best IMO, the MDX's interior is more like spaceship, way too many **** and switches.
I got about the same mileage on both the MDX and the GX, I drive mostly city. The GX, even with less hp is about the same in 0-60 time as the new MDX. Dont forget that the GX has more torque and I love driving torque.
In the end, they are 2 diff cars, you need to decide if you want a performance SUV or a luxury one. On my 03 MDX, I found that it had poor quality control and there are rattles everywhere. On top of that, it had maybe 10 or 12 minor issues that drove me to trade in the MDX. The Acura dealer was horrible, they didnt want to deal with minor issue. Lexus customer service is much better than Acura's. You should go visit a MDX forum, there are already owners complaining about the fits and finishs of the new MDX along with a host of other isolated issues, and the car has only been out 2 or 3 months.
Old 06-20-07, 06:42 AM
dholling13
Driver

They both have luxury. They both are high end models. But the MDX is a heck of alot closer to a mini van posing as an SUV (IMO), where as the GX is a true truck. Do you want a truck and pay the extra $6 per week on gas, or do you want more of a car based feel to your SUV? Sounds to me you that you prefer a car based trim package which a true truck will never have.

I would think a European SUV might be better for you; like a Cayenne or the new 7 passenger Q7.
Old 06-20-07, 07:06 AM
Ronsully
Pole Position

try www.acuramdx.org

I have a first production year MDX (2001). We bought it new and it has been a decent car...
Old 06-20-07, 07:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The MDX is classfied as a near luxury SUV not a true luxury SUV, and it is uauslly compare to the RX, not the GX.
If you drive a lot of city, there is virtually no diff. in gas mileage, on the highway, the MDX have a 2 MPG advantage. For a truck based SUV, the GX actually have a smoother ride than the MDX. The GX is also ladder frame construction, which means its a tougher truck.
The MDX always looks good on paper, it is the built material and things you cannot see that makes the GX so much better. Built quality, quality control, customer service, etc. are all a step above Acura.

Last edited by The G Man; 06-20-07 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-20-07, 07:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Ronsully, the 01 to 05 MDX were known to have a few problem such as: bad egr valve, transmission over heating, transmission skipping gears, transmission gear hunting on hills, bad in the snow due to lack of VSC, rattles, driver seat shifting on turns, brake cluck, wind noise from side mirrors and gas tank sloshing to name a few. You maybe one of the lucky one if you never had these problems.
Old 06-20-07, 08:22 AM
PGX470B
Driver School Candidate

It is true, they are very different vehicles. I test drove both and they definitely had different feels to it.
I thorougly enjoy the fact that the GX has a truck feel to it, I definitely would like to go offroading with my new car and the GX takes the cake on that aspect. But I have read that the MDX can hold its offroad in the Sport package. It pretty much seems like a not-great-in-one-category-but-good-in-everything type of vehicle.
But when I got into a GX at the dealership, I must say, I wasn't very impressed with the interior (just my opinion). Don't get me wrong, it looked nice...but it felt a little out-dated (perhaps because Lexus had stuck with this model for quite some time now?). Also, in regards to comfort. I thought it was comfortable for me, but one of my big concerns would be my passengers. The 2nd and 3rd rows were just not very comfortable to sit in for adults, a little cramped. I went with a friend both occasions (GX and MDX) and he felt that the 2nd rows were night and day. The 3rd row in the MDX is definitely small like the GX, but much more manageable (though a little difficult to reach).
In terms of outside, there is no comparision IMO, the GX is just a fantastic looking car...I LOVE the exterior design. But again, what's up with the swing open trunk door? It just seems like the GX has outdated technology.
Old 06-20-07, 08:25 AM
Ronsully
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
Ronsully, the 01 to 05 MDX were known to have a few problem such as: bad egr valve, transmission over heating, transmission skipping gears, transmission gear hunting on hills, bad in the snow due to lack of VSC, rattles, driver seat shifting on turns, brake cluck, wind noise from side mirrors and gas tank sloshing to name a few. You maybe one of the lucky one if you never had these problems.

I am not saying that I have not had some or all of these problems. I am just saying overall, the car has been good to us. Our MDX currently has ~120k miles and is still kicking and still looks great. As with any car, there are always problems.. If you can find me a car that has zero problems, I will buy it ASAP.
Old 06-20-07, 11:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I have owned my GX as long as my old MDX. So far, the only problem the GX had was the drivetrain clunk, which the dealer fixed. My MDX had all those problems listed above and the dealer had manage to fix none of them. I must have been to Acura dealer over 15 times in 2 years trying to address these issues. I can truely say that my Lexus dealer is in a diff. league than my Acura dealer.
The MDX is not a true off road vehicle, just look at the tires. No low range, no skid plates and no enough ground clearance. The 4WD system and the suspension are light duty. IMO, the GX has the perfect combination of a tough truck and luxury. The only car that can compare to the GX is a Rover. Of course the Rover is more expensive and less reliable.
Old 06-20-07, 11:39 AM
PGX470B
Driver School Candidate

Well, I brought up the topic of reliability with the Acura dealer and he replied saying that Acura's reliablity was better than Lexus (which I smirked at).
I really liked the look and design of the Range Rover Sport but the reliablity really scared me away.

Is there a way to lean the 2nd row seating back to provide more room?
Old 06-20-07, 02:47 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Default acura vs lexus

As a car guy who owns well thought of models from both.. I would like to give you my thoughts:

I must second the concern on the 1st Gen risk/ concerns...

I own a 99 acura tl - it was the first year of its generation... The car has 118k miles on it...The only reason that I still have it... The acura dealer has been great in replacing my SEVEN transmissions for free.... currently have 14k on the seventh tranny.... interior and exterior have held up well.. but all and all I will not buy another.... strangely.. my 32k car that is 8 years old is worst approximately 8k...

It appears to me that Acura's depreciation rate is a little faster than Lexus.

My personal notes on acura vs lexus...
acura = envelope pushing technology; cutting edge styling and performance; great affordability compared to competitors........ cheaper materials, technology bugs and issues due to early adoption rate

lexus = industry leading reliability; top notch materials; established technology ; respectable performance; industry leading resale value

I have sat in the new MDX... was not a fan of the HUGE psuedo wood on the dash.. Love the wood in the GX.

third row ? - on the gx they are a joke... only small folks... 5'3'' and under should attempt anything more than folding them up.... the mdx's are pretty nice.. especially since they folk flat..

second row - not sure on mdx.. but on the gx.. they are relatively comfortable.. not like the front but... the back can be adjusted.. unlike the last gen 4runner... yeah we had one too!

my .02

STL2CHI

2005 gx470 w/kdds
meridan blue
Old 06-20-07, 04:22 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
The MDX is not a true off road vehicle, just look at the tires. No low range, no skid plates and no enough ground clearance. The 4WD system and the suspension are light duty. IMO, the GX has the perfect combination of a tough truck and luxury. The only car that can compare to the GX is a Rover. Of course the Rover is more expensive and less reliable.

Agreed
Old 06-21-07, 05:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PGX470B
Well, I brought up the topic of reliability with the Acura dealer and he replied saying that Acura's reliablity was better than Lexus (which I smirked at).
I really liked the look and design of the Range Rover Sport but the reliablity really scared me away.

Is there a way to lean the 2nd row seating back to provide more room?
Well, I must say that the Acura engine is as reliable as the Lexus. The rest of the MDX leaves alot to be desire. As someone already mentioned already, plastic wood on a 47000 dollar car is unacceptable. The V8 engine on the GX is almost a legend among V8s, one of the best V8 on the market. You should try seating in the back yourself, unless you are 6' 4" plus, its pretty comfortable back there for 2. The 2nd row seats reclines but they dont adjust back and forth.
Old 06-21-07, 06:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

MDX will drive far better on road than any GX. They are somewhat different animals with the same size. MDX goes more against the V6 cayenne and X5. New MDX cant even be compared to the previous gen, they are far different, previous gen was a boring appliance

Quick Reply: 2007 MDX vs 2006 GX470