GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 GX 470 tow hitch receiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 07:10 AM
Linko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 GX 470 tow hitch receiver

I have a 2006 GX 470 with the tow prep package, which includes the wiring harness and a black plate under the center of the rear bumper. I just want to attach a bicycle carrier using a 2" hitch receiver, but I can't seem to find any options other than the full tubular hitch. It would seem that the black plate, which has 4 holes in it, would accept some sort of after-market receiver for this kind of light duty. Has anyone found something that works? I thought I had a solution - a step bumper hitch receiver for a pickup truck - but it was the wrong size.
Old 05-10-07, 07:58 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a factory hitch off of a 2003 4-runner. They no longer sell this hitch (as far as I know) and I really liked how it "fits" perfectly in the little bumper nitch. I posted a request on a 4-Runner forum and someone had one they wanted to sell. I got it for $30 shipped!, bought a Lexus plug and there you go. There are six bolts that attach directly to the frame and I did have to remove the plate that you are speaking of in order for it to fit.
A lot of people switched these out beacuse they are only rated for about 5000lbs...so all you have to do is find someone who has upgraded to the bigger (7000lb) hitch and held onto the "little" hitch...they probalbly want to get it out of thier garage. This is perfect for a cargo carrier or rike rack.

Old 05-10-07, 11:21 AM
troymm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey cmarshask, does the rear hitch cargo carrier ever get get very hot. I have a metal cargo carrier and used a "heavy duty" bag that melted from the exhaust heat. If I try to use it again with another bag, I'm going to have to change the straight chrome exhaust tip to a side exhaust tip.
Old 05-10-07, 02:11 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

FYI, the 2006GX has a slightly different bumper shape - no notch.

I'm also interested in the same thing - I would love to put a bike rack, but don't want to go for the whole hitch just for that.
Old 05-10-07, 09:53 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

troymm- Yes, actually I melted the wire-harness and the powdercoat right off of the thing. see post-https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257214&highlight=rola

Silverlady- I believe the bumper is the same...the notch is just an insert. You can change out your straight (no notch) insert for one that has the notch, or vise-versa.

Last edited by cmarshack; 05-10-07 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 04:38 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cmarshack & silverlady-

My '04 has a factory hitch (just put on this year), but does not have the notch. The hitch receiver is just below it. IIRC, there was a change mid-year on '04s regarding the rear bumper insert and hitch design. I think those made before 05/04 required a notched insert, while those after got a straight insert and a small spacer plate to mount the hitch. Hitches for '03 and early '04s are different from the mid-'04 to current.
Old 05-11-07, 09:24 PM
pump142
Driver

Originally Posted by cmarshack
I got a factory hitch off of a 2003 4-runner. They no longer sell this hitch (as far as I know) and I really liked how it "fits" perfectly in the little bumper nitch. I posted a request on a 4-Runner forum and someone had one they wanted to sell. I got it for $30 shipped!, bought a Lexus plug and there you go. There are six bolts that attach directly to the frame and I did have to remove the plate that you are speaking of in order for it to fit.
A lot of people switched these out beacuse they are only rated for about 5000lbs...so all you have to do is find someone who has upgraded to the bigger (7000lb) hitch and held onto the "little" hitch...they probalbly want to get it out of thier garage. This is perfect for a cargo carrier or rike rack.

please send more pictures of this set up. ie the mount the license plate area (I assume) etc. How stable is it? made of plastic? does it lock?
Old 05-12-07, 07:06 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pump142
please send more pictures of this set up. ie the mount the license plate area (I assume) etc. How stable is it? made of plastic? does it lock?

I regretably did not take very many pics of the set-up. My car was very dirty and I had planned to take more after a wash.
Here are a few more pics and the link to the Rola website. If you want a bit more of a review of the product go here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257214

And as for the license plate, there is a kit for the carrier. I was renting it and decided to risk it without the plate. And yes it locks.

http://www.rolaproducts.com/products/adventure.asp?ID=1

Last edited by cmarshack; 05-12-07 at 08:09 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-21-07, 07:21 AM
romgrom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmarshack

Hello!
I have 2004 GX470. Could you please tell me where could I find the same hitch receiver as you have and the plastic cover?
Just in case my email address is: shtirlizrg@gmail.com
Thank you in advance!
Old 05-21-07, 07:21 AM
romgrom
Driver School Candidate

Hello!
I have 2004 GX470. Could you please tell me where could I find the same hitch receiver as you have.
Just in case my email address is: shtirlizrg@gmail.com
Thank you in advance!
Old 05-22-07, 10:18 AM
rklages
Pole Position

I think this is what you are talking about wanting, but it only apparently works on early 03's

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=16

At the price, you might as well get a full hitch - I have a CURT 6500 lb tubular and it was only $140

Rob
Old 05-29-07, 06:20 AM
Linko
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I ended up purchasing a Curt hitch from etrailer.com. It was the least expensive option but was, of course, overkill for the bike rack functionality I was seeking. The installation time is noted as 25 minutes on the manufacturer's instructions, but it actually took more than 3 hours due to various work-arounds that are required when attaching anything to the GX 470 frame. Detaching the tow hook from the driver side took a pneumatic air wrench (like professionals use for changing tires) because it was torqued so tight. Additionally, the muffler is directly in the path of the passenger side frame rails, so you have to pry the muffler from its rubber suspension in order to gain access to the bolt holes. On the positive side, I am now intricately familiar with the underside of my vehicle.
Old 05-29-07, 02:48 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by Linko
Thanks everyone. I ended up purchasing a Curt hitch from etrailer.com. It was the least expensive option but was, of course, overkill for the bike rack functionality I was seeking. The installation time is noted as 25 minutes on the manufacturer's instructions, but it actually took more than 3 hours due to various work-arounds that are required when attaching anything to the GX 470 frame. Detaching the tow hook from the driver side took a pneumatic air wrench (like professionals use for changing tires) because it was torqued so tight. Additionally, the muffler is directly in the path of the passenger side frame rails, so you have to pry the muffler from its rubber suspension in order to gain access to the bolt holes. On the positive side, I am now intricately familiar with the underside of my vehicle.
The official installation instructions that are for the Lexus hitch describe exactly what has to be removed and how to do it for the Lexus hitch. The rubber doughnut that holds the rear muffler can be slid off its mount easily with a pry bar. The stock rear tow hook can be removed easier if you used a 1/2" breaker bar, but a air gun does make the job so much easier. I can install the Lexus hitch on a GX in 30 minutes. And that's me doing it alone without a helper.
Old 09-07-07, 11:37 AM
Linko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobsGX
The official installation instructions that are for the Lexus hitch describe exactly what has to be removed and how to do it for the Lexus hitch. The rubber doughnut that holds the rear muffler can be slid off its mount easily with a pry bar. The stock rear tow hook can be removed easier if you used a 1/2" breaker bar, but a air gun does make the job so much easier. I can install the Lexus hitch on a GX in 30 minutes. And that's me doing it alone without a helper.
If only my Curt hitch came with the official Lexus hitch instructions! I'll admit, I'm a CPA by profession but consider myself to be somewhat mechanically inclined. I just found the complete lack of detailed instructions in the Curt package to be frustrating. It simply shows a diagram of the hitch being lifted into position on the frame rails. It sounds like you do these frequently, so I'm sure you'll forgive my rookie status
Old 09-16-07, 05:51 PM
rklages
Pole Position

It is pretty easy - just take the tow hook off the bottom of the frame under the bumper and then you will be able to stick the hitch up there and line up the holes and put the bolts in - pretty easy. You will probably need to locate the factory plug for the lights as it is in the way - I just removed it and bolted it to the curt hitch by drilling a couple holes and reusing the bolts (self tapping). Just be carefull - the air ride compressor is a the back on the drives side behind the tire and it is easy to get the metal plate that it is mouted to caught under the hitch and then it will vibrate the whole car as pinching it will stop the rubber mounting from stopping the vibrations.

Quick Reply: 2006 GX 470 tow hitch receiver