GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Changer, Vaistech SLI and Bluetooth installed (NO 56K)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07, 01:47 AM
lexus27
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD Changer, Vaistech SLI and Bluetooth installed (NO 56K)

Warning LONG STORY.

When we bought our GX in 2004, I didn't get one with the DVD RES because of lack of availability. Long story short, I purchased an aftermarket one thru the dealership. I have not been completely satisfied with the system.

They installed an ICON TV brand which is descent and has slim profile. This I am happy with. The DVD player under the driverside seat was pain in the a** to change DVDs. On top of that, the sound quality from the FM modulator was crap.

Finally, I decided to update the system. To improve the sound, I purchased a new VAISTECH SLI from a CL member (a great deal for $190.00). This thing is amazing! It's got the interface for the IPOD but I dont own one. I'll be using this one primarily as the sound input to my new DVD player. I did not get the chance to take tons of pics as I was in a rush to install all of these. But I'll show you where I placed it. The hardest part of installing (for me) is deciding where to put everything. The SLI fits nicely close to the H-N-L shifter under the console. This is easily accesible and I can get to it in 1 minute (cause now I know how to remove all the trim parts. LOL). Final advice. The SLI cycles from CD-IPOD-CD-AUX. I disabled the AUX input BUT placed the DVD audio to the IPOD input port (ot the IPOD connection of course). So, the cycle is CD-DVD-CD-DVD. No more confusion. It's either CD or the DVD all the time.

The SLI can be configered to emulate a CD changer or MiniDisc player. This is how it shows up on the screen after install. For me then CD changer screen was confusing because the SLI shows up as CD Changer 1 and the actual CD changer as CD Change 2. I chose the MD screen because it is easier to differentiate between MD and CD. Besides, this is the wifes car so it'll be easier for her to recognize if she's in CD or DVD (MD) mode.

Now, the DVD player. I wanted a DVD changer and lots of options out there.
One particular model caught my attention. It the Sony DVX100 10-Disc DVD player. I got it for $225 (ebay). I chose this for the price AND because it has a wired controller/display in addition to the regular remote control. I am so tired of having to search for the controller in the car. So, out the old DVD player under the seat and in this new one. It fits like a glove. I've done my research.

With the seat in normal position.

And the nice wired controller. I finally decided on a spot right under the ashtray. As you can see, from the drivers point of view, you can see all the relevant info on the screen. The module is simplified, with only few essential buttons. The actual remote is a moster - the size of home system remotes.

Finally, I enjoy the safety of using bluetooth in the car. It's easy for me to say as my IS350 came with one but this GX did not. I did some research and found this motorola HF850 on the bay. Won it for $65. Here you can see where I finally decided to place the user interface. It's truly easy to use.

This car kit comes with the controller above, it's own speaker, microphone, and the brain. There are many kits out there including ones that are all in one, but I like the idea of having a separate speaker (cause it's louder) and the fact that since this kit is wired to the battery, no charging is needed.
Let me show you where I installed the speaker. Right on top the footrest. The sound from this thing is great, just like in my IS.

The microphone is just above the rear view mirror. I found a nice spot there to wedge it in place.

The brain for the bluetooth is under the dash.

Next install, the HID from xenondepot. It's on its way.
Old 02-10-07, 09:14 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Great upgrades. Thanks for the picks.
Old 02-11-07, 10:14 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice setup!!!