GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 owner test drive of LX470

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 12:40 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 owner test drive of LX470

I am looking for a full size SUV and this past weekend had the opportunity to test drive the 07 LX470. On the outside it seems much larger than my GX, however the inside doesn't look that much larger. However it is overall larger and the 2nd row bench seemed to be able to accomodate to 3 children's seats where as the GX can only accomodate 2.

After driving the LX470 and driving home in my GX, the difference between these 2 vehicles is like night and day. The V8 and HP are similar in both (LX slightly more HP), however the LX is such a smoother and more refined ride than the rough and floaty GX.

If you want to stay in the Lexus Truck family, I am now convinced that the LX is the way to go (if money is not the issue). It drives almost more car -like than the GX. There is something so smooth about the LX's ride that it's quiet and still powerful. Better acceleration for this larger truck and in my opinion better handling. Whereas my GX I had gotten used to the floaty bouncy ride and the louder more rough exhaust and sometimes jerky yet powerful acceleration.

I was also pleasantly suprised by the power of the LX since I was comparing it to a recent test drive of the more heavier and powerful Escalade. The LX like I said earlier felt more light and nimbler on her feet.

The only thing holding me back from getting this vehicle is something minor such as all indications seems like it will be revamped later this year and be more incredible.
Old 02-05-07, 11:48 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I am looking for a full size SUV and this past weekend had the opportunity to test drive the 07 LX470.

If you want to stay in the Lexus Truck family, I am now convinced that the LX is the way to go (if money is not the issue).

LX is nice, but you are talking +$20K (+40% on base models)
Old 02-05-07, 11:54 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
LX is nice, but you are talking +$20K (+40% on base models)
I hear you on that one. It's a significant price premium which may or not be worth just the smooth ride and slightly larger interior space as compared to the GX for most people. ($70K at the top end!)

Heck I am not even sure if the interior space is so much larger than the GX. Some people says it's not a true full size SUV. In a lot of cases the interior is just like the GX in regards to appoinments and luxury. It's just the damn smoothness, refinement & nimbleness of this large SUV of the LX impressed me.
Old 02-05-07, 11:58 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

i actually prefer the GX over the LX - GX has better accelleration (700 lbs lighter) and seems more nimble and maneuverable than the LX.

just my $.02
Old 02-05-07, 06:45 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we were looking, my husband reluctantly suggested I try the LX (I was leaning to the 4Runner at the time, and he really didn't want it). Maybe it was the dealer's demo, but I absolutely hated the ride. I didn't even finish the test drive. I didn't find it smooth at all.

The LX is probably also a bit too wide for my garage (although the motorized fold in side mirrors might make it doable if I remembered to collapse them on the way in).

As far as size, it is heavy but not that much bigger - I believe it is not as tall and a bit longer and wider. And it IS expensive.
Old 02-05-07, 06:50 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by jjbodean
i actually prefer the GX over the LX - GX has better accelleration (700 lbs lighter) and seems more nimble and maneuverable than the LX.

just my $.02
I agree. I test rode an LX prior to purchasing the GX and I feel the GX is a more nimbler handling vehicle than the LX. I also like the increased head room that the GX gives. Gives the GX a more roomy feel in the front seat. And I felt that the GX definitely accelerates faster than the LX. I also like the dash layout and look better on the GX. But the LX is a nice vehicle, I just don't see where the 20 grand difference is.
Old 02-06-07, 06:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We test drove both SUV last year as well, the GX is quicker than the LX, no question about that. We like the look of the GX's interior better. One of the biggest concern we had was, the LX's exterior dimension is huge, but where did all the interior space go? Rather it is poor design or old design, the LX needs to make better use of its space. The LX is quieter and it handles a bit better, we could feel the diff. in the 2 suspension, but still, we cannot justify the additional $20K.
Old 02-06-07, 12:43 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

No doubt about it that the LX is a very nice vehicle. But I'd add my $0.02 along with the others that the $20k premium is not worth it considering you are still paying for something that is based off a platform that was revised last back in 1998. And with the rumored (mostly substantiated) intro of a 2008 version that will get some changes that are more than just de minimus updates, you could really take a potentially large hit in less than one year.
Old 02-06-07, 01:52 PM
ahc21ahc
Rookie

Before I bought my GX, I drove the LX and loved it. It handles much better than the GX - a lot less body lean. If it weren't for the price difference, I would have gotten the LX instead of the GX. That said though, I have gotten use to the ride of the GX now and don't even notice the body lean or floating feeling anymore. The price difference is actually closer to $15K rather than $20K. In terms of hauling a lot of people, advantage of the LX is that the 3rd row is actually more useable. I'm 5'10" and can fit ok in the 3rd row of the LX. Can't say the same about the GX. The 2nd row is nice if you have young children because you can fit 2 car seats and still access the 3rd row. Now that I have the GX, I do like the fact that it is not as long or wide - easier to park in tight spaces.
Old 02-06-07, 05:09 PM
rklages
Pole Position

I just can't get past the looks - the GX from day one I loved for the looks, the LX is looking dated and always was a little dull in my book (like all the earlier lexus styling for that matter!) I'm sure it will be restyled to look more current in the coming years!
Old 02-07-07, 06:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ahc21ahc
Before I bought my GX, I drove the LX and loved it. It handles much better than the GX - a lot less body lean. If it weren't for the price difference, I would have gotten the LX instead of the GX.
If they were both price the same, I would have gotten the LX too.
Old 02-07-07, 12:16 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rklages
I just can't get past the looks - the GX from day one I loved for the looks, the LX is looking dated and always was a little dull in my book (like all the earlier lexus styling for that matter!) I'm sure it will be restyled to look more current in the coming years!
You are right, the LX looks good, but outdated since it's pretty much been the same body style for many years now with slight touch ups.

At least the LX comes with 18" rims standard and it's an impressive vehicle when you see it in person.

I love my GX, but the tall height and skinny width look awkward at times. It's like it's very top heavy with those small 17" rims.
Old 02-07-07, 12:17 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
If they were both price the same, I would have gotten the LX too.
Add me to this AGREEMENT list too! The price difference is HUGE!
Old 02-07-07, 12:19 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llcc1975
No doubt about it that the LX is a very nice vehicle. But I'd add my $0.02 along with the others that the $20k premium is not worth it considering you are still paying for something that is based off a platform that was revised last back in 1998. And with the rumored (mostly substantiated) intro of a 2008 version that will get some changes that are more than just de minimus updates, you could really take a potentially large hit in less than one year.
That is a great point that was always lingering with me. Even now you can't find that many LXs on the dealer lots. They are even offerring a Special Edition version which usually means the new revamp is the following year.

It was always in the back of my mind bothering me that if I buy the LX now and it's totally revamped at the end of this year, that I would kick myself, so if you can wait, wait.
Old 02-07-07, 12:19 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the GX. But Lexus has their head up their butt.

Here is Socal we have no IS350's, the ES350 have tranny issues, the dealers are dumping the R350 FWD for 4-6k below MSRP.

I was looking at an RX but decided it was a girly minivan looking thing.

The GX is my next choice but I can't get KDDS and the only wood trim option looks like it came from a bowling alley.

No wonder Lexus are cheap compared to the Germans, the choices are squat.

Quick Reply: GX470 owner test drive of LX470