GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Grinding Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06, 07:11 AM
hungthuha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Vibration

Please advise if any body has similar problem ! Many Thanks.

I had my driveshaft replaced recently for the clunk issue. After the replacement, I started to notice a grinding vibration when cruising at 50 - 60 mph and RPM is at 1500 - 1900 and get pretty bad when the road is slightly inclined. I took the truck back to the dealer and they fixed an out of alignment wheel as I was told. I suspect that the replaced driveshaft might have been defected.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Old 01-04-07, 01:13 PM
hungthuha
Driver School Candidate

Default Grinding Vibration

Since my last posting, I took the truck back to Difeo Lexus (2 times) to check for the problem. The first time, they told me it was one of the wheel out of alignment. But the problem still persists, so I took the truck back to the dealership the second time. This time the truck was test drove by the service manager and the customer service manager. The service manager agreed with me that the harmonic, drone noise and vibration are there but the customer service manager told me that the vibration is normal for Lexus truck. He even went as far to state that his dealership had contacted Lexus engineering group about the vibration, harmonic sound like the sound of the tires contacting the road on their edges. According to him, Lexus is working on this !!

Any one's experiencing the vibration and harmonic sound like the sound of the tires whipping the road at low RPM (RPM < 1900) ??
Old 01-04-07, 03:30 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sometimes my truck has a droning sound, depending on the road surface. I have had zero vibration before and after the "clunk" TSB was applied. Did they also replace the upper and lower control arms?
Old 01-04-07, 09:20 PM
Tin Star
Rookie

My steering wheel has a tingly vibration like you are holding a vibrator. Lexus claims it is normal. Makes me really dislike what should be a good truck.
Old 01-31-07, 04:19 PM
A2 Lexus
Driver School Candidate

My 2006 GX470 recently started exhibiting the same problem that you describe - vibration with droning sound that starts at ~60 mph and gets REALLY loud and alarming at 70-75.

My problem showed up right before I had the clunk TSB performed. While I was in for the TSB I had a tech go for a drive with me and he confirmed the problem. Service advisor's response at the end of the day - "normal condition". I have a call in to Lexus customer service. I have done a little research tonight on this issue and it appears that the Lexus reaction is less than satisfactory.

This is my first Lexus vehicle after owning Audis, BMWs, MBs and lots of US autos. Based on their reputation I have high expectations that Lexus will resolve this - otherwise, it will be my last Lexus.
Old 02-01-07, 06:49 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

How many miles on our 2006 GX -- I also have a 2006 GX but I do not have the vibration - wonder if it develops after some mileage. (I have a slight clunk but cannot be bothered with TSB at least not yet).
Old 02-01-07, 08:09 PM
A2 Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GGGXXX
How many miles on our 2006 GX -- I also have a 2006 GX but I do not have the vibration - wonder if it develops after some mileage. (I have a slight clunk but cannot be bothered with TSB at least not yet).
I have around 9500 miles. It started at around 7500. I posted this problem on another forum and someone said it is a known problem and it gets worse in cold weather. That is consistant with my situation as I started noticing it when the weather got cold this winter.
Old 02-12-07, 01:31 PM
hungthuha
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration

Hi guys,

Just to update you guys on the last clunk fixing. After I had the shaft replaced, a little over a thousand mile, it is now back. The vibration is there, loud droning noise at 60 - 65 mph. I also noticed that the transmission is not very responsive after a quick decelerate. What it means is after a quick stop and accelarate again, I got a delay second before the gear catches then the truck lurches forward. It gives a spinning sensation of a worn out gear !

Waiting for the service manager to call back. Not having much faith with Lexus rep.. How many of them would come out and say their product is less than perfect?
Old 02-13-07, 06:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you have just the drive shaft replaced or the drive shaft and the rear control arms? When you say there is a delay before the gear catches, do you mean it stays on the higher gear and then it down shift after a second or so?
Old 02-15-07, 01:47 PM
hungthuha
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration

No, I had the drive shaft replaced only. About the delay, it is like the gear is slipping then after a second it catches and jerks the car forward. Or another way of saying is like driving the old car with carburator. Quick acceleration and deceleration causes the car to hesitate which is what I am experiencing now.
Old 02-16-07, 06:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hungthuha
No, I had the drive shaft replaced only. About the delay, it is like the gear is slipping then after a second it catches and jerks the car forward. Or another way of saying is like driving the old car with carburator. Quick acceleration and deceleration causes the car to hesitate which is what I am experiencing now.
I am sure you know that the proper fix for the clunk is to replace the drive shaft and the rear control arms.
As far as the delay is concerned, it almost sounds like the transmission delay that many Toyota owners are experiencing. The transmission learns your driving style and programs the transmission accordingly. Some people on the Toyota forum have disconnected their battery and erase those learned parameters with some success, it may be worth a shot.