GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 drivers please respond

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-06, 11:21 PM
Just4show
Owes CL $5,000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 drivers please respond

okay guys i'm in the market f or Gx470 for my mom. I try to get some review and experiement that owner rate over all this car. so can you guys please tell me how is the drive and is there any problems
Old 10-23-06, 03:50 AM
JessePS

It handles well. Did not have any problems, other than some smell coming out when using the defroster this year, and the defroster working when its not on, which was ackward. I only started to notice when the car not moving you car hear everything outside other problem is, no rear seat warmers. Hopefully in 2008 they will add that too the GX470 or wtv they call it... hopefully add a bit of length for the second and 3rd row passengers too sit more comfortably. Other than that, its a great SUV.
Old 10-23-06, 04:16 AM
thedon3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 04-GX-470 loaded. I have found it to be a great vehicle. It handles very well in all weather conditions. It is not without problems, I have issues with my sun roof in hot weather making strange noises, which still happens. In addition, it is not as quite as my Murano was, lots of wind nosie. However, it is one of the safest SUV's out there plus the most plush.
Old 10-23-06, 07:56 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm the 2nd owner of my '03. I spoke with the original owner and he said he'd never had a problem with it at all. He had all service done on schedule at the Lexus dealer. I now have 73,500 miles on it (up from 62K when I bought it) and no problems have surfaced. I'm surprised at how quiet and comfortable it is. Haven't noticed any excessive wind noise that someone mentioned.... The Michelin Cross Terrain tires are excellent, IMO.
Don't use the 'one turn' automatic engine starting, or else you won't be able to start other vehicles on the first try.
Old 10-23-06, 09:34 AM
Just4show
Owes CL $5,000

very nice I guess I'm ready with my hwk and ready to search around for one before winter hit. Don't want my mother to drive sedan anymore
Old 10-23-06, 10:21 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

First, you should have your mother test drive the gx to see if she even likes it.
2nd, does she or the family need the extra 3rd row seat?
If she doesn't like the gx, the rx is the way to go

I believe I6turbo has the highest mileage so far and his ownership experience says it all. Mine is about 18k miles, no electrical or mechanical problems. (I'm just waiting on getting the clunk fix. If you're not aware of this, you should read more in this forum.)

The gx is very quiet, no complaints about wind noise as thedon3 said. As a matter of fact, we take the gx over the s500 or 745i for the comfort and quietness on trips.

I believe earlier on, there was a discussion regarding the dunlop tires being noisier than the michellins.

Not knowing how old or if you're mother is petite I would make sure if she's comfortable driving it.

My wife is petite. A friend of ours have a gx and when my wife jumped in for the very first time and drove it, she was verrrry comfortable with it. I made her reverse and do some parallel parking to make sure she is comfortable .
We test drove the LX and Qx, but those were too big for her.

I can't stand it when little ladies or any drivers driving suvs take literally 5 minute to park or make right turns.

You will love the gx. Just make sure that the transition from a car to an suv is
different. She needs to make sure she doesn't take sharp turns or brake too closely
Old 10-23-06, 11:34 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Yes... you should definately take her to the nearest dealer and let her test drive...

I was going to get RX350 for my wife... but, guess what happened when I took her to the dealer to pick it up...
She didn't like it at all...

That's how we ended up with GX!!
Old 10-23-06, 02:13 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I've had my 06 GX for almost one year. Mine is very quiet on the highway, rides great and gives a nice commanding view of the road. It also has a nice solid built feeling to the vehicle, something that is severly lacking in other SUV's, such as the MDX, ML500, and others. I also love the Mark Levinson audio system along with the Lexus Sirius satellite radio that I added to the vehicle. I've had no problems with mine other than the clunk TSB which was performed on my GX. As others have stated, make sure your mother drives a GX first to make sure she feels comfortable with the vehicle.
Old 10-23-06, 03:01 PM
rklages
Pole Position

I love my GX, but if it wasn't for the kids and stuff we drag around, I would own an RX - if you Mom doesnt need all the room and the 3rd row, the RX is less money and has been updated more recently, so has more bells and whistles!

Love that V8 though!!!
Old 10-23-06, 05:50 PM
Just4show
Owes CL $5,000

yeah im gonna do that. At first i was gonna get her the RX but then i cant find any good deal on it. I love the GX look
Old 10-23-06, 07:24 PM
Snarky
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2006 GX470 dealer demo with 3000 miles on it. The price was about $9K under sticker and just above the 4Runner LTD. It's treated as a new car because I am the first licensed owner. According to Kelly Blue Book, the GX470 is one of the 10 vehicles with the lowest annual depreciation. I actually saw 2004 GX's with 20K+ miles that were listed for a price higher than what I paid for mine.
Old 10-24-06, 02:14 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

I thank my kids for the GX. If it wasn't for them, I would be still driving the RX, which also is a great SUV. I got the GX for the extra room. Contrary to some of the other post, I like the rear seats and are very easy to fold. After driving the GX, I can't see myself going back to RX. Smooth and powerful. Have had it for about a year w/o any problems.
Old 10-28-06, 12:43 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 06 GX (bought sept 05) and put 22000 miles so far. No problems and everything is perfect... i did have the clunk fixed under TSB fix. It is my first SUV and experience has been great!

My wife has Sc430 and when she drives my car, she thinks that she can turn as fast as if she is in her sc430... she i gotta keep telling her that this vehical weighs almost 2x her car... haha
Old 11-15-06, 06:38 PM
SUPERJD1
Driver School Candidate

Default Ride Very Smooth

Originally Posted by thedon3
I have a 04-GX-470 loaded. I have found it to be a great vehicle. It handles very well in all weather conditions. It is not without problems, I have issues with my sun roof in hot weather making strange noises, which still happens. In addition, it is not as quite as my Murano was, lots of wind nosie. However, it is one of the safest SUV's out there plus the most plush.
I HAVE HEARD THE GX470 DOESN'T RIDE VERY SMOOTH,LITTLE BOUNCY,BECAUSE OF THE SHORTER WHEELBASE DO YOU AGREE??
Old 11-16-06, 06:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GX is probably one of the smoothest SUV out there with a solid rear axle. Now, if you compare it to a LS, then it is bouncy.

Quick Reply: GX470 drivers please respond