GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Mark Levinson UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 09:41 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mark Levinson UPGRADE

Regretting getting a GX without a Navigations system and driving a loaner car with one...it really makes me want to get an OEM Navigation system.

Can anyone shed any light as to how much that would cost? I know it would be a couple arms and a leg but I just want to know. Of course, an estimate of how much the parts plus labor would be at least I would know what i'm up against. And if you do know which dealer has a good deal local to L.A. would be great also.

Although aftermarket navigation systems are out there, i would still prefer getting an OEM one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-28-06, 10:05 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKGX470

Regretting getting a GX without a Navigation system and driving a loaner car with one...it really makes me want to get an OEM Navigation system.
You will also regret not getting a GX with a Back-up Camera.

~ Cap
Old 09-28-06, 10:11 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

hey cap!

no kidding...my rx loaner car has one and its great feature...so know any local lexus dealer with a great deal on this set up?
Old 09-28-06, 10:26 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey cap!

no kidding...my rx loaner car has one and its great feature...so know any local lexus dealer with a great deal on this set up?
Ask the dealer or salesman who sold you the car. They usually have contacts where they send costumers who want extras done on their cars.

~ Cap
Old 10-03-06, 09:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Ask the dealer or salesman who sold you the car. They usually have contacts where they send costumers who want extras done on their cars.

~ Cap
Be prepared for a sticker shock b/c they are going to be extremely expensive if you want the dealer to do this.....if they even consider doing it.

For the gs, I can't remember, but it was discussed and it was quoted somewhere over $5000
For the gs guys, it was much easier to update the old nav (hard drive based to the newer nav-dvd based), but to retrofit everything, it was costly (doable but difficult).

You are going to need the screen, the nav unit, and importantly the wire harnesses.

Me personally, I would get an aftermarket unit (eclipse or pioneer or others...)
Granted it won't look as stock but it's waaaaay cheaper than having the dealer do it.
Not discouraging you, but if you got the $$$, do it and let us know

It would probably be easier (and cheaper?) to sell your gx and get the one with the ml/nav.
Old 10-03-06, 10:17 AM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much!!

Quoted $3500 just for the navigation wiring harness. I was trying to put the OEM DVD player on my GX (regretting not getting the RSES). Leaving me no choice, I decided to go for aftermarket.
Old 10-03-06, 10:36 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Might be cheaper to trade-in your car for a new one with NAVI.
Old 10-03-06, 04:28 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

hey davidsgx,

can you post some pics of your aftermarket? i am really considering doing the same thing. i've already spoken with a guy i dealt with who did my HID kit and he said he knows someone who does it.

I got quotes for a Pioneer around $1600 and $250 to create the kit for it.
Old 10-04-06, 11:32 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I would go aftermarket with either Magellan or Garmin NAVI units ($700-900 for top-of-the-line units). They are portable (so, you can use in any car), rechargeable (no wires), and small enough to stow away from wondering eyes. In addition, the mapping software is easily upgradeable via your computer.
Old 10-04-06, 03:02 PM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

A few years ago when the SC first got the Mark Levinson (can't say exactly when, I was then mostly interested in German cars), one of my car magazines, probably Autoweek, stated that you got a $50,000.00 stereo and a free car. Having almost bought a ML amp to drive my home Magneplaners I understood that as high praise for a car stereo. When I looked at the GX, I did not care for a Nav system but I WANTED the ML system. I'm surprised how often I use the Nav system, even more surprised how much I listen to music in th GX. I rarely listened to music in my Explorers, silence was better that those stereos. The GX is the best car stereo that I've ever heard.

Sell your GX and buy one with ML/Nav.

Rick in Atlanta
Old 10-04-06, 08:49 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

I installed a 10inch sub with amp awhile ago in my GX just for extra kick to the bass. The installer said the ML system from Lexus is the best he ever heard. He said DO NOT CHANGE ANY SPEAKERS or Upgrade to aftermarket one unless you want to waste A LOT of money for improvements that will only set u apart in a competition or something.... bottom line.. for everyday use... ML system is top notch compared to any upgraded audio system from the factory...
Old 10-05-06, 04:36 AM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

hey davidsgx,

can you post some pics of your aftermarket? i am really considering doing the same thing. i've already spoken with a guy i dealt with who did my HID kit and he said he knows someone who does it.

I got quotes for a Pioneer around $1600 and $250 to create the kit for it.
I have not yet bought any, still considering. Vizualogic Top-Loading or some other overhead monitor. The vizualogic one really save your space, it's an all in one system which is nice!