GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Really regretting color of car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 10:33 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really regretting color of car.

Well.. i did make a mistake (i think) about the ext color of the car. I have Ti Metallic silver... and i really had to have grey int. My favorite color for the GX is WHITE and Black. But For some reason the dealer didnt have the black one when time of buying (non of the dealers and i checked 4 locations or had waiting time of 2 months)

As impatient as i am.. i decided on the Ti silver one.... without RSES..... Thinking.. ya.. GX is a great car... i would still enjoy and love it regardless it is silver or not....

Obviously white ext came with tan int....
Now im thinking about trading my car.... but i think i would lose so much money... even for the same year??

I have 19300 miles 2006 GX470... bought it in Sept 2005. It has been one year... and yes.. i commute 50 freeway miles everyday... but no traffic

Any thoughts what i should do? I would trade for black GX.. but dealers want to rip me off.... i guess i gotta find another GX rider who wants ti metallic silver...
Old 09-21-06, 11:00 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

19300 miles!!
It is alot of mileage for 1 year old car....

I think you should...

1. Just live with it.... Silver's a great color!! <------ Will cost you $0

2. Trade with someone??... hmmm... I don't think it's going to happen...
not with that mileage... You might have to setting for older model.

2. Get it painted!! <-------- will cost you $3,000+-

3. Sell it privately and get a new one!! <-------- will cost you $5,000+-.... If you do it now. You might still get Lexus special pricing on 2006!!
Old 09-21-06, 12:27 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that isnt too bad. I had over 23,000 in my infiniti and it was in the shop for about a month for some tuning work, lol. Actually silver was my first choice but with tan interior tho as I didnt want the extra heat attraction for the darker interior. But since we bought the white we really like it. Whatever you decide I hope you are satisfied with your choice.
Old 09-21-06, 12:34 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hsk73
19300 miles!!
It is alot of mileage for 1 year old car....

I think you should...

1. Just live with it.... Silver's a great color!! <------ Will cost you $0

2. Trade with someone??... hmmm... I don't think it's going to happen...
not with that mileage... You might have to setting for older model.

2. Get it painted!! <-------- will cost you $3,000+-

3. Sell it privately and get a new one!! <-------- will cost you $5,000+-.... If you do it now. You might still get Lexus special pricing on 2006!!
You are supposed to average 12-15K/year...
CV
Old 09-21-06, 01:31 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you kidding me?!
I'd love to have the Titanium silver!! Especially over my silver pine...what the heck is a "silver pine"?

dan
Old 09-21-06, 02:50 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Kormaster,

Options? Sport Pkg?
Old 09-21-06, 03:58 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You do NOT want black!! WAY too much work and never really looks good

I've had one black car in the last 20 years and can only say one thing: NEVER AGAIN. No matter what I did it always looked crappy. Endless hours and it still was "OK" at best. I've got better things to do than fight an endless battle against dust and swirl marks.
White is perhaps the best, IMO, but only with a tan interior. Don't care in the least for grey.

Last edited by JWS3; 09-30-06 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-21-06, 04:33 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Silver/Ecru is a great color combination on the Lexus. I speak from experience - `02 Millenium Silver/Ecru SC430 (sold); `04 Millenium Silver/Ecru SC430 (also sold); and `04 Silver Pine Metallic/Ecru GX470. Black will need to be cleaned constantly (and not just soap & water & towels, cause you've got to watch out for swirls), even when it's just sitting in the garage (the other whip is a Sapphire Black/charcoal `05 645ci).

Enjoy your GX! In my opinion, it's the best truck in its class.
Old 09-21-06, 04:58 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

I have the Titanium Silver with Gray interior and I love it. That was my first choice, and I am happy.

That said, do I sometimes think how great another color looks? Sure. If kept clean, the white is gorgeous - and I am not a fan of white cars. We absolutely did not want nautical blue - yet when I see a clean and shiny riding around it actually looks good.

In fact, I've admired all the colors on the GX out on the street at one time or another. If kept clean they all look great. The silver is probably a bit more forgiving in that regard.

I can understand taking the hit and getting rid of a color that is a problem - such as getting tired of getting burned sitting on black leather. But I have to figure that anything that I don't have will look more exciting at some point just because I don't have it and will just look good to me.

But if you dream of another color- than who is to say not to go for it? It's your money.
Old 09-21-06, 04:59 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will get totally screwed on a trade-in with that kind of mileage on it. Even a private-party sale will be difficult.
I know what it's like to have a car that's not exactly what you wanted, and it can tarnish your opinion about the whole car. But as fast as you're racking up miles, I'd keep it for at least another year and trade it just before the factory warranty expires. You'll still get screwed on the trade-in value, but at least you will have gotten the most out of it you can while covered under warranty. You'll get screwed even more if you trade it after the warranty expires (50K miles), so don't wait that long.
Old 09-21-06, 05:04 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JWS3
I've had one black car in the last 20 years and can only say one thing: NEVER AGAIN. No matter what I did it always looked crappy. Endless hours and it still was "OK" at best. I've got better things to do than fight an endless battle against dust and swirl marks.
White is perhaps the best, IMO, but only with a white interior. Don't care in the least for grey.
I said never again after having a black GS400. BUT, I couldn't wait forever to get a Blizzard Pearl with KDSS, so here I am again. It wouldn't be so bad if black came with clear coat.
Old 09-22-06, 04:58 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

I've always owned, 'white' cars. I love the silver as much as the Blizzard Pearl but I wanted the ivory interior.

CV
Old 09-25-06, 01:57 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool Is Black the new Grey ... ??

Originally Posted by JWS3
White is perhaps the best, IMO, but only with a white interior. Don't care in the least for grey.
Well, personally, I have a black GX w tan interior (I am not a fan of the dark interiors, to hot in summer). Since, Lexus did not offer White at the time (it appeared later) I purchased my '04, I chose Black. I have had my share of Black and White versions of SUV's. In this case, I think Black looks a lot better with chrome wheels, than White w/ chrome. Most cars in the White colour look boring, they lack dimension, even when polished up. Sure, it is easier to keep "clean" looking .. but all in all .. it is still boring in my opinion. This is simply about personal esthetics, not a personal attack. Perhaps, the East Coast weather is more cruel to Black vehicles than the West Coast?
Old 09-25-06, 09:54 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I love the look most vehicles in Black, but for a daily driver they are intolerable here in Florida if you want to keep them even half-way clean-looking. My Supra is black, as was the M3 and a couple other recent cars, and you literally see all sorts of crap on them 3-4 hours after washing and cleaning 'em (LOTS of &#!* in the air here in Florida). My LS430 is Parchment Crystal and the GX is Ash Blue, and both stay waaaaaaaayyyyy cleaner looking than the Supra after the same amount of time/driving. The Ash Blue is actually pretty amazing - it stays reasonably clean looking for weeks. Parchment isn't bad, either.

Ti is a pretty color. I'd keep it.
Old 09-26-06, 05:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Black and white cars are........well just plain old black and white.

Quick Reply: Really regretting color of car.