GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Regretting not getting RSES..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 11:27 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Regretting not getting RSES..

I own a 06 and I am regretting not getting the RSES... anyway to retro fit it?? how much could it cost me??? I do like the whole factory look of it... and i like to unlock it or bypass hack it so that my passenger can also view the DVD in the front screen....
Thanks!
Old 09-06-06, 05:03 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kormaster
I own a 06 and I am regretting not getting the RSES... anyway to retro fit it?? how much could it cost me??? I do like the whole factory look of it... and i like to unlock it or bypass hack it so that my passenger can also view the DVD in the front screen....
Thanks!
I think my dealer offers this at a reasonable price. The bypass hack has been talked about here before. Try a quick search.

Good luck!
CV
Old 09-06-06, 07:55 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A lil off topic, but what is in place of the actual dvd player in the center console if you do not have the RSES? Or is it just a larger compartment?

dan
Old 09-06-06, 08:15 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I think my dealer offers this at a reasonable price. The bypass hack has been talked about here before. Try a quick search.

Good luck!
CV

Do you know how much they are offering it for??? Is it all similar for all dealers??
Ya, i know about the bypass hack.... just need to get RSES in my hand at reasonable price....
Old 09-06-06, 09:16 AM
seanyepez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the 2007 RSES screen can be retrofitted to the 2006?

I might be interested in selling the 2006 RSES if this is possible.
Old 09-06-06, 09:33 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
A lil off topic, but what is in place of the actual dvd player in the center console if you do not have the RSES? Or is it just a larger compartment?

dan
Nothing...just extra storage space.

CV
Old 09-06-06, 01:47 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

I just talked to Darrel at Lexus-Parts.com Seems like the price of the main Screen (2900) + controller (1200) + and dvd player or something.. total comes out to be like 5000. THat is outrageous. NOw he was just quoting me from what he saw on the computer... so no clue how much it really is because he said he has never ordered it

Now... from understanding the bypass hack, you have to ground the wire to trick the system that the car isnt moving right? Could i potentially get a external DVD player and some how tap into the audio and video of the ML system? DO i have to use one of those Vaisetech systems? I just want the front screen to be converted for my passenger... as far as the rear... maybe in the future.... Maybe ill get one of those headrest screens... but for now, i just want DVD input to be displayed on the screen. Am i asking too much?
Old 09-06-06, 06:21 PM
rajwany
Driver

sounds to me you r asking the forum how to hack the dvd so you can watch the dvd while driving. this is not only illegal but DANGEROUS. iam i correct, anyone
Old 09-06-06, 06:59 PM
Chris C.
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an aftermarket setup in my 2004, and it is a clean looking package. it has the DVD integrated into the screen unit so it's a little larger, but it does free up the center console bin for much needed storage.

(I didn't install it - the vehicle is new to me. Just letting you know there are reasonable aftermarket optioins available)

I've also seen a headrest mounted unit that was a clean install.
Old 09-06-06, 07:59 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rajwany
sounds to me you r asking the forum how to hack the dvd so you can watch the dvd while driving. this is not only illegal but DANGEROUS. iam i correct, anyone

No. I have the bypass all figured out. Im trying to avoid aftermarket "look" for a DVD setup. Since i did not get the factory RSES, im trying to retrofit it or have another option. I would never watch DVD while driving. Im doing this for my passenger(s).

Chris C. : Do you have any pictures and list of components that was installed in the car? Cost?
Old 09-07-06, 05:39 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

You are correct that it would be dangerous for the driver to watch a movie in the front. HOWEVER, what good is the RSES when you don't have kids yet and your wife sits up front on long trips???

CV
Old 09-07-06, 06:29 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
You are correct that it would be dangerous for the driver to watch a movie in the front. HOWEVER, what good is the RSES when you don't have kids yet and your wife sits up front on long trips???

CV
Regardless of intentions, having a movie going in the front on a screen that is primarily positioned for the driver is still very dangerous.

If you don't have kids old enough to watch, putting in a whole RSES system seems like overkill. For about $100-$150 you can get some terrific portiable DVD players and your wife/passenger can position it for more personal use. If she wears headphones you can still use the ML to listen to music and use the nav. (Note: I am not sure if even this is legal in most places, as you will still have video going in the front seat).

Kormaster - I personally dislike most of the "nanny" garbage they integrate into these systems, but not being able to watch a movie while driving actually makes sense.

Last edited by SilverLady; 09-07-06 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-07-06, 06:39 AM
rajwany
Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Regardless of intentions, having a movie going in the front on a screen that is primarily positioned for the driver is still very dangerous.

If you don't have kids old enough to watch, putting in a whole RSES system seems like overkill. For about $100-$150 you can get some terrific portiable DVD players and your wife/passenger can position it for more personal use. If she wears headphones you can still use the ML to listen to music and use the nav. (Note: I am not sure if even this is legal in most places, as you will still have video going in the front seat).

Kormaster - I personally dislike most of the "nanny" garbage they integrate into these systems, but not being able to watch a movie while driving actually makes sense.

exactly what i meant. dvd in the front is a distraction no matter how you cut it. portable players is the way to go. thanks silverlady
Old 09-07-06, 10:37 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

exactly what i meant. dvd in the front is a distraction no matter how you cut it. portable players is the way to go. thanks silverlady

Hmm.. seems like it could be a bad idea.... there might be moments where i "peep" to look at the screen.... i might need to just consider a screen in the back only....
Old 09-07-06, 10:47 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady

So what's the difference between peeking at the screen for a movie or NAV?

CV

Quick Reply: Regretting not getting RSES..