GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Noticed a Strange THING - AIR SUSPENSION.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 01:09 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noticed a Strange THING - AIR SUSPENSION.

Recently i noticed that the rear end of my car seemed to be in HIGH mode (even though it said N on the tachometer area)... And when i would click Up (on the height variation setting) the car would go even higher... and when i would click down.. the car would go down to... what it seemed N(ormal) earlier....
So what i did was... i unhooked the battery for few mins (while keeping the car in low Mode) and reattached the battery the car raised a little bit.... and returned to its normal position.... now its the normal height it use to be...

It was kinda stuck at a higher height for 3 previous weeks... there was no load in the back... during these times... so no need for it to adjust higher. it made the rear wheel wells higher.. (which i didn't like)... thank god its normal now.. but i was curious to know what could have caused it?? any suggestions..
Old 09-03-06, 02:47 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default Hey

Hey guys.

Strange thing again.. Rear Height is up again...
Anyone has any idea why its happenning? also i realize that when i turn off the car... the car air suspension doesn't go down (it use to earlier and u could hear the suspension sound while it was goin down)...
Old 09-04-06, 11:49 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

sayadil.. hi there ..I'm also noticing that when I shut my GX470 down ..

I'm going to keep listening a bit closer ..
Old 09-05-06, 09:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Why try to fix it yourself, bring it back to the dealer. It definitely has a problem.
Old 09-05-06, 12:35 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to sam's club the other night and noticed that the GX next to me was very much higher in the rear than my GX. I wonder if it is having the same issues. Sounds like your ride raises fine but is having a problem with the air release...or maybe I am just speaking the obvious. Let me know what you find out.

CV
Old 09-05-06, 11:28 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I went to sam's club the other night and noticed that the GX next to me was very much higher in the rear than my GX. I wonder if it is having the same issues. Sounds like your ride raises fine but is having a problem with the air release...or maybe I am just speaking the obvious. Let me know what you find out.

CV
Yeh. I mean i reset it again.. and now ride height is normal but i'm sure soon it will raise back ... the last time it happened was when i manually pressed Low and then N and it went back to the higher height.
Also when i turn off my car i don't see the suspension adjusting.. earlier i would see the car going down and it would usually make a sound ... it doesn't do that anymore...

I'm not trying to fix it myself.. but wanted to know if it was something as small as pressing some kinda button... (i noticed on the diagnostic screen on the nav screen there's a tab which reads Loading, anyone know whats it for?)
trip to dealer would cost me atleast 2-3 hrs and $100 intial charge for just diagnosing the problem. i was tryna avoid that.
Old 09-06-06, 04:59 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
Yeh. I mean i reset it again.. and now ride height is normal but i'm sure soon it will raise back ... the last time it happened was when i manually pressed Low and then N and it went back to the higher height.
Also when i turn off my car i don't see the suspension adjusting.. earlier i would see the car going down and it would usually make a sound ... it doesn't do that anymore...

I'm not trying to fix it myself.. but wanted to know if it was something as small as pressing some kinda button... (i noticed on the diagnostic screen on the nav screen there's a tab which reads Loading, anyone know whats it for?)
trip to dealer would cost me atleast 2-3 hrs and $100 intial charge for just diagnosing the problem. i was tryna avoid that.
I don't blame you for not wanting to spend alot of jack if you can fix it yourself. Anyway, it sounds like you have a bad height sensor or something. You don't tow alot or carry a lot of heavy objects in the rear do you?

CV
Old 09-06-06, 09:40 AM
Josh's GX
Rookie

About having to pay $100 for the dealership to diagnose the problem. I'm picking up my GX next week, so I don't really know how the warranty works yet. But I thought there was a $0 deductible. Does this only apply to work done on the vehicle and not the actual diagnostic test?

Last edited by Josh's GX; 09-06-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-06-06, 10:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

There is no diagnostic fee if your vehicle is under warranty. I am not sure what Sayadil is taking about, maybe it is a Canadian thing.
Old 09-07-06, 12:05 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I don't blame you for not wanting to spend alot of jack if you can fix it yourself. Anyway, it sounds like you have a bad height sensor or something. You don't tow alot or carry a lot of heavy objects in the rear do you?

CV
hey CV

no.. i dint even get the hitch installed yet... and no i don't carry anything in the back.. once in a blue moon i take a trip... usually its empty.
bad height sensor.. then how come after reseting it works fine for few days.. may be i would have to take it to the dealership.
Old 09-07-06, 12:10 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
There is no diagnostic fee if your vehicle is under warranty. I am not sure what Sayadil is taking about, maybe it is a Canadian thing.
1st - I'm out of warranty at 74000 miles thats y i said i don't wanna spend hrs and money if i could fix it myself.
2nd - Here Dealerships would usualy charge you for diagnostic if they don't find any problem. if they think its normal and nothings wrong with my car. (even if your under warranty)
Old 09-07-06, 05:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Sayadil,
Sorry didnt know your GX was out of warrenty already, you drive alot of miles. the diagnostic fee must be a Canadian thing or maybe you need to find a new dealer. I have never been charge diagnostic fee by my dealer while the vehicle is under warranty.

Last edited by The G Man; 09-07-06 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-07-06, 05:37 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

hey CV

no.. i dint even get the hitch installed yet... and no i don't carry anything in the back.. once in a blue moon i take a trip... usually its empty.
bad height sensor.. then how come after reseting it works fine for few days.. may be i would have to take it to the dealership.
hey adil

could be a short in the sensor, making it work sometimes and not others. don't know...good luck!

CV
Old 09-07-06, 03:13 PM
loflin
Pole Position

... (i noticed on the diagnostic screen on the nav screen there's a tab which reads Loading, anyone know whats it for?)
Don't mess with that, it's for loading (re-loading) a software version into the Nav computer. You do it wrong and your system's messed up. Has nothing to do with loading your vehicle!
Old 09-07-06, 05:54 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by loflin
Don't mess with that, it's for loading (re-loading) a software version into the Nav computer. You do it wrong and your system's messed up. Has nothing to do with loading your vehicle!

oh thanks.. i was wondering what loadin was for..? thanks for lettin me know coz i was gonna play around with that.
any idea whether any non lexus workshop would be able to fix this height thing.. or you guys recommending gettin slaughtered at a dealership instead

Quick Reply: Noticed a Strange THING - AIR SUSPENSION.