GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

off road video

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 05:59 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default off road video

i'll update with more videos, once they're edited.

dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ojIGfUwW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI1KEMT7XCU

excuse the shakeyness
Old 08-26-06, 10:12 PM
mkool
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome...vids.
I rated 5 stars each...hehe~~
Old 08-27-06, 04:19 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Very cool video...love the 2nd one!!

Question...how are the Goodyear MT/R on the highway?? How's the noise level compared to your street tires?? Do you hear it a lot or is it just a faint rumble?? Is the ride anymore bumpier??

Thanks.
Old 08-27-06, 11:14 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

thanks guys!

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Very cool video...love the 2nd one!!

Question...how are the Goodyear MT/R on the highway?? How's the noise level compared to your street tires?? Do you hear it a lot or is it just a faint rumble?? Is the ride anymore bumpier??

Thanks.
the MT/R's are "ok" on the streets as far as traction goes. they're no where near as good as the michelins, or REVOs on the road, but for a MAX TRACTION tire, they are what they are.
noise is pretty bad, i can hear them at low, med, and high speeds with the windows up, and radio blasting.
also the ride has changed, the combination of the tire being heavier and thick sidewalls makes for a bumpy ride. even at very low speeds you can feel the ***** contacting the ground. i would not recommend these as a primary tire for daily use due to the reasons listed above and the fact that the tires seem to wear out pretty quickly.
HOWEVER, they are AMAZING offroad!!! i've tried the cross terrains, and revos offroad and they do very well (revos more) but the advantage the MT/Rs give takes offroading to a whole new level!! i'd recommend a spare set of wheels, that way you can have nice on road tires when driving on road, and a deadly weapon for off roading.

dan
Old 08-28-06, 05:12 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Thank you very much for the quick tire review.
Old 08-28-06, 10:27 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default I Agree

Even i have heard good reviews about MTR's ... and Lot of good things off lately about REVO's
Old 08-28-06, 05:16 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default NIce vids and well done. Gotta wonder, though, why one

would go offroad in a vehicle on trails (??) so bad one could walk far faster. I'd rather go on trails where speeds rise above 1-2mph at most.

Still- great vids and nice job all around. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-29-06, 05:58 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great vids! Way to show off the GX!

CV
Old 08-29-06, 11:05 AM
whyjay91
Driver School Candidate

That is not wheelin' but at least you're gettin' it off-road and having fun.

I saw an FJ video that was just hilarious. They were stopping it every 12 inches when one tire would raise off the ground. Each time someone would say, "Amazing articulation". Hilarious.
Old 08-29-06, 08:11 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by whyjay91
That is not wheelin' but at least you're gettin' it off-road and having fun.
If that's not "wheelin'", then what do you call wheelin'???
Old 08-30-06, 07:26 AM
GXPrado
Driver

Originally Posted by JWS3
would go offroad in a vehicle on trails (??) so bad one could walk far faster. I'd rather go on trails where speeds rise above 1-2mph at most.

Still- great vids and nice job all around. Thanks for sharing
There are sections of that trail that you have to slow down a bit for but impossible to walk the trail at the speed of 4x4. Gold Mtn would take all day to hike but be done in a couple hrs by 4x4 and then hit some of the other trails around Big Bear.

Getting more technical 4x4 terrain is alot of fun. It is not about the speed which you go through, but about improving your skills and having a good time. It is very difficult to convey the rush of going thru challenging terrain- it is useless to explain it on the internet, it is something that you just have to experience.

It is easy to be negative but you will find that even the most experienced offroaders (the good ones) take alot of joy in seeing new offroaders simply enjoy themselves- no matter how difficult or easy the terrain is. That is what it is all about.
Anyone can be humbled by the easiest obstacle or clean a really difficult one- it's just alot of fun, challenging at times and great comraderie.

I will tell you that Dan's comfort zone and knowing the capability of his GX is probably 300% better than it was before this trip. He had a great time and some nice stories to share.
If people want to be negative on that, it's on them- not Dan for sharing a bit of his trip.
Old 08-30-06, 09:46 AM
whyjay91
Driver School Candidate

I have yet to read a post, within this thread, with a negative connotation. Just a few opinions with a close of clapping hands.

From start to finish, when I was younger, I was quite aggressive during my off-road adventures. Of course, I had a lifted YJ with 410s, detroit lockers, and a 9k lb. winch, among other components. Not to say a 'safer' level of wheeling is any less than a more skilled/risky venture. I had encouraged many gatherings with those less experienced and had a blast helping them to take the challenges, rather than clammer around them. Yes, it's rewardingly fun. I suppose for those whom have truly experienced off-roading and even off-trail, it's sometimes a humorous flashback when beginners communicate their exciting tales.

Besides, I'd go easy on any Lexus. They're just too nice to beat up on rock crawling.

Nice work nonetheless.
Old 09-29-06, 09:52 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by purplehazek4

i'll update with more videos, once they're edited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI1KEMT7XCU

excuse the shakiness

dan
Hi Dan.....

Did the rocks poke a hole in your muffler or do you have different mufflers ??

~ Cap
Old 09-29-06, 10:24 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Hey there Cap,

That would be my Magnaflow muffler, however it is no where near as loud as it is on the video. For some reason the digital camera picked up excessive noise. In person it sounds great! True V8 roar when accelerating
Like the car has big huevos

dan
Old 10-01-06, 11:20 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
Hey there Cap,

That would be my Magnaflow muffler, however it is nowhere near as loud as it is on the video. For some reason the digital camera picked up excessive sound. In person it sounds great!

True V8 roar when accelerating

Like the car has big huevos

dan
Hi Dan.....

Checking the Magnaflow website, I see no mention of the GX. What did you do ??

~ Cap

Quick Reply: off road video