GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

20inch Chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-06, 12:22 PM
ravalgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20inch Chrome wheels

I am considering putting on 20 inch chrome wheels on my 2006 GX 470, anybody have any recommendations with upgrading the rims on their SUV?
Old 08-23-06, 02:47 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ravalgx470
I am considering putting on 20 inch chrome wheels on my 2006 GX 470, anybody have any recommendations with upgrading the rims on their SUV?
i have 20" boss with Hankook VENTUS S 265-50. ride comfort is same as factory.. handling is much better.. gas milage is relatively same... looks amazing
Old 08-23-06, 05:25 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default I have but on thing to say on the subject:

Don't do it. Yes, my opinion is subjective, but large, unwieldy chrome wheels have a rather "ghetto" connotation. Plus, larger wheels destroy off road ability and usually degrade handling due to their far greater unsprung weight.

Last edited by JWS3; 08-24-06 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-23-06, 09:49 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JWS3
Don't do it. Yes, my opinion is subjective, but large, unwield chrome wheels have a rather "ghetto" connotation. Plus, larger wheels destroy off road ability and usually degrade handling due to their far greater unsprung weight.
Man not every chrome wheel has ghetto connotation.. check out my cars pics and then tell me... and to be honest.. 20" is not even ghetto anymore... its 22" n over now... design is the key here...
Secondly... people who really offroad always change thier wheels (even if you have factory ones) anyway and i would suggest taking running board off as well. check out other thread .. u will know what i mean...
again 20s on my car have not disturbed the ride... it handles alot better looks alot better.. more pluses then Minus but obviously cost you
Old 08-24-06, 01:52 AM
mkool
Rookie

IF someone goin to go offroad, they take OEM rim off and put aftermarket rim on. I don't think he would do that if he goin offroad. And Not everyone take their SUV to offroad. If they want to go offroad, some ppl buy 2nd hand car and drive their GX470 as DD.

To. ravalgx470.
Go for it...it will look awesome. And don't forget, if you put them on, take pictures and post here. ok?
Old 08-24-06, 07:22 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default All I can say is:

Originally Posted by sayadil
Man not every chrome wheel has ghetto connotation.. check out my cars pics and then tell me... and to be honest.. 20" is not even ghetto anymore... its 22" n over now... design is the key here...
Secondly... people who really offroad always change thier wheels (even if you have factory ones) anyway and i would suggest taking running board off as well. check out other thread .. u will know what i mean...
again 20s on my car have not disturbed the ride... it handles alot better looks alot better.. more pluses then Minus but obviously cost you

You must be under 25......
Old 08-25-06, 01:35 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default :)

You must be under 25......
I Wish i was... honestly

if u look through the gallery u will see people like me n max.. n lot of other people with 20's n even 22's... most of us r over 25... and even 40. chrome 20's r not always ghetto... u have prolly seen the cheap ghetto ones.. designs if not elegant look ghetto...
by the way.. every other day people come to me n give me compliments on the wheels... by sayin how much they go with the car... and r not too bling bling etc etc.

it has fair amount of advantages.. and thats why a good set could easily cost you around 3000 or more.
Old 08-25-06, 05:45 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default "It has fair amount of advantages.. and thats why a good set could easily cost..(m)

you around $3000". This is exactly why they are a bad idea. Big $$ outlay and virtually no resale value. You'll get nothing on a trade and, if anything, would see many hesitant to take an obviously non stock one in trade. But, if you've got $3000 buringn a hole in your pocket.........
Old 08-25-06, 06:02 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

you around $3000". This is exactly why they are a bad idea. Big $$ outlay and virtually no resale value. You'll get nothing on a trade and, if anything, would see many hesitant to take an obviously non stock one in trade. But, if you've got $3000 buringn a hole in your pocket.........
You must be 65 . Age got nothing to do with this Im 35 and my wife is 34 and we have always love are cars or suvs with aftermarket wheels.I start with the 15 inch wheels back in 1985 till now with 22" and looking to get 24" .
Old 08-25-06, 07:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

JWS3, give it up. There are alot of people out there that likes to pimp out their car. They like to be unique and they figure a pimp out car will do that for them. These are the same people who want neon lights under their car and muffler that makes lots of noise.
I am not one of those people, I bought a Lexus because I like the quiteness, the soft comfortable ride. I have nothing againt 20" rims if they are in good taste. BMW actually make some nice factory 19 or 20" rims. Anything that is 20" or over is a little too much for me, but its their money. People have spend money on more stupid things before, I am sure.
Old 08-25-06, 09:39 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Well i do agree rims don't have a good resale value... but for me it works out.. coz i put factory ones back on the car at the time of sale.. and just keep these rims.. and put them on my new suv. i would have to buy a new tire... to fit the new size... but then... tires worn out anyway.

so wheels as well as aftermarket music systems can be reused...
Old 08-25-06, 09:50 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
JWS3, give it up. There are alot of people out there that likes to pimp out their car. They like to be unique and they figure a pimp out car will do that for them. These are the same people who want neon lights under their car and muffler that makes lots of noise.
I am not one of those people, I bought a Lexus because I like the quiteness, the soft comfortable ride. I have nothing againt 20" rims if they are in good taste. BMW actually make some nice factory 19 or 20" rims. Anything that is 20" or over is a little too much for me, but its their money. People have spend money on more stupid things before, I am sure.
Putting aftermarket wheels increases the overall performance of a car... your car handles much better then factory ones... don't know if thats what u call pimpin the ride...though i said that already rims have to be of good taste... just like the car itself...

Also defination of waste is different for everyone.. while u (we) think we spent our money wisely by buying a lexus and that too an SUV.... some people might consider it a waste....

Attached in my car pic... i love the rims.. i love the ride.. and don't really care if noone else likes them.. it makes me happy.. and money is not worth more then that.
Attached Thumbnails 20inch Chrome wheels-lexus-front-side.jpg  
Old 08-25-06, 10:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Angel.....

My observation is that those who go for the Big and Blingy are folks who were mostly born in other countries.

~ Cap
Or pimps and drug dealers. Just kidding guys, please dont respond to that.
Old 08-25-06, 12:46 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Don't make me spit coffee out my nose again!

Originally Posted by The G Man
Or pimps and drug dealers. Just kidding guys, please dont respond to that.
There is more than a little truth to this. Many stereotypes have substantial basis in fact and don't care about being "PC". For example, "Angleslex" who posted above in favor of garish wheels lives, if memory serves, in or about NYC which is known for its many followers of hip hop and the like. And no, I am not implying that Angel is a drug dealer or anything of the sort, nor am I attempting to disparage him. He. like me, is entitled to his opinion, except that mine looks better

My point is that one is far more likely to see a vehicle festooned with 24" chrome wheels in "da Bronx" than in northern suburbs like Scarsdale, Chappaqua and Greenwich. To me, excessively large wheels do to a vehicle what "Puff Daddy" or whatever he calls himself nowadays does for clothes. There is a large body of people, including I'd imagine the vast majority of Lexus owners, who eschew anything even remotely reminiscent of "hip hop". I'll take refined and understated over loud and trendy any day. Fads come and go. Good taste, which is admittedly subjective, does not. Note further that such wheels have pretty much NO resale value and will generally cause trade values to plunge.

Hey, to each his own, but remember that it is well documented that overly large wheels negatively affect handling due to their far greater unsprung weight, offset issues and reduced clearance. While a +1 or +2 fitting can help, once one goes beyond that things change rapidly. And not for the better, especially since stock suspensions are not made for or tuned for such things. Check out Tirerack.com for more info on the subject.
Old 08-25-06, 01:56 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMHO, i think there is nothing wrong with putting 20" wheels on a GX, however 20" would be the MAX i'd go. secondly, just like the rest of the tuner world, there are your nice wheels made with quality, great design, and superior construction.
then you have your cheap (cost and construction) no-name cast wheels that are made poorly, knock offs and to be quite honest, dangerous.
i've seen far too many of these "cheaper wheels" bend, split, crack, tear etc.
plus they weigh a ton too.
if you're gonna go with wheels, get something nice (quality, construction etc)
but don't settle for the "ebay special" looking wheels... we all know what they look like, cheap chrome, jagged edges, and stupidly heavy.
i know finding wheels that fit our 6X139.7 lug pattern is hard, but don't settle for crappy wheels. they don't look "baller" and everyone knows that they're cheap wheels. stick with well known brands such as HRE, Enkei, Eagle, AXIS, BBS etc

dan

Quick Reply: 20inch Chrome wheels