GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

CoastalTech Blue Lockpick

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 09:19 AM
Lou19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CoastalTech Blue Lockpick

Will the CoastalTech Blue Lockpick work in my 06 GX?

http://www.coastaletech.com/basic_lockpick1.htm

If so, why isn't the GX listed in their application chart?

http://www.coastaletech.com/APPLICATION%20GUIDE.htm

What unit do you order for a GX? I've read about bugs with their units, in the past, with inaccurate GPS and loss of nav voice commands after install. Any help much appreciated.

Lou
06 Blizzard
ML NAV
Old 07-21-06, 04:27 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Coastaltech has been telling me that the unit which also includes the bluetooth capability will be out in 2 weeks. The problem is, they have been saying the same thing for 9 months now. I don't have much use for any so called company that operates like that and barely ever answers the phone. What a way to run a company.
Old 07-21-06, 08:41 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default At least you got a response from them- I tried several times to no effect.

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Coastaltech has been telling me that the unit which also includes the bluetooth capability will be out in 2 weeks. The problem is, they have been saying the same thing for 9 months now. I don't have much use for any so called company that operates like that and barely ever answers the phone. What a way to run a company.
I'd love to try the thing, but hesitate to deal with a company who won't even answer simple emails and calls.
Old 07-24-06, 09:10 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excuse the ignorance but what is a, "lockpick?"

CV
Old 07-25-06, 05:46 AM
Lou19
Rookie

"Lockpick" is the title CoastalTech gave the series of adapters for the "I agree"/nav entry bypass units. They have variants according to what they bypass in addition to the "I agree" push. The "Blue Lockpick" will unlock Bluetooth (to dial while driving) along with the "I agree" and nav (access to all nav features while driving). I am still leary about the whole thing, so I started this thread to decide. Hit the link for more info.

Lou
Old 07-25-06, 07:16 AM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

The Coastaletech application page now lists the lockpicks as compatible with the GX470.

Would love to hear how it works for anyone that purchases one of these. Looking to see if the Blue Lockpick will be worthwhile for my 2006 GX470.
Old 07-25-06, 07:26 AM
tgergen
Rookie

Crap. I have an 04 GX470. They only list 05+.....grrrrrr.
Old 07-25-06, 07:43 AM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

Default Took the dive...

After thinking about this, I decided to become a beta tester and purchased a Blue Lockpick. I will periodically report back regarding the product and Coastaletech service.
Old 07-25-06, 09:01 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default They added the GX after my email. See below for text:

My original email:

Several people on various Lexus forums have used your products on their GX470 without incident. They have also used other devices meant for other vehicles. For example, Lexus makes no dedicated Sirius unit for the GX, but it is fairly well known that an LX unit will fit without modification.

Please excuse my follow up, but you guys 100% sure the "blue lockpick" will not fit a newer GX with the newest Nav unit? Have you tried it? As far as I can tell the 2005-2006 harnesses, etc are pretty much the exact same as some versions of the ES and LX..
If you have tried it and it does not work, do you have any plans to produce one? Perhaps GX/LX owners may be some of your better customers as, quite frankly, they can afford the product and are likely to want it.

Sorry for the frustration no doubt evident in my email- its just that I HATE that damned "I agree" nonsense every time I start the car. Talk about nanny like behavior!

Their response:

Sorry Jim,
You are correct. The application guide has been revised to include the GX470 : )

Please let me know if I may assist you further : )
Kelley

I shall now order one.
Old 07-25-06, 02:12 PM
loflin
Pole Position

OK, now the question is, has anyone seen the installation guides for the various versions? I searched their website, to no avail.

The original "lockpick" (before it was called that), was a simple plug/play, no wire cuts, no disassembly of dash, etc.

In particular, I would love to see what it takes to install the Ultimate Lockpick.
Old 07-29-06, 11:26 AM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rtanouye
After thinking about this, I decided to become a beta tester and purchased a Blue Lockpick. I will periodically report back regarding the product and Coastaletech service.
Received email stating a 7/28 ship date with a 8/4 delivery by UPS Ground. Three day processing at Coastaletech, not bad.
Old 07-30-06, 12:53 PM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

Received email stating a 7/28 ship date with a 8/4 delivery by UPS Ground. Three day processing at Coastaletech, not bad.
Update. Lockpick was not yet shipped. Received an email from Coastaletech.

"Thanks so much for your order. The order you placed with us, as stated on the website, will ship approx 2 weeks from order placement. You have been sent a tracking number and this will be the tracking number for the package when it is shipped. At that time, the delivery date will be updated.

Please let me know if I may assist you further

Kelley
http://www.coastalEtech.com
mailto:support@coastalEtech.com"

At least they sent me an email! Better service?
Old 07-31-06, 09:03 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Update. Lockpick was not yet shipped. Received an email from Coastaletech.

"Thanks so much for your order. The order you placed with us, as stated on the website, will ship approx 2 weeks from order placement. You have been sent a tracking number and this will be the tracking number for the package when it is shipped. At that time, the delivery date will be updated.

Please let me know if I may assist you further

Kelley
http://www.coastalEtech.com
mailto:support@coastalEtech.com"

At least they sent me an email! Better service?
Keep us posted! A follow up on how easy it is to install and $ would be great too!
CV
Old 08-06-06, 03:03 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Guys,

I placed an order with Coastal two weeks ago for Version 1 Ultimate Lockpick for my 05' GX. Hopefully I'll actually GET a product this time around as my initial order from them last year was a wash...

My card wasn't charged last year but still I waited a WHOLE year for a product that should have shipped within two months of placing the order 7/2005. Hopefully the 2nd time around will bear better results, I too will also post my findings on this product if it ever ships and arrives to my house.

Yes, I'm jaded...

-Alex
Old 08-06-06, 09:37 PM
wbh3
Driver School Candidate

Default Waiting for product

Geez, it's technology! Quit complaining.

How many times has Microsoft, et.al. ever got a product or operating system out to the public when they expected; and Microsoft has a whole lot more money and resources than little CostalTech. I'm sure CostalTech would like their product out on the market more than you would: it's called business and making a return on their investment.

You can either: 1) Chill out and wait for a product that works and be thankful they care; or 2) Make one yourself.

PS: There is the old standby where you rip your dash and console apart and rewire things. Go at it!

Complaining about a delayed technology product makes about as much sense at the silly polls from wanna-be GX470 owners who can't make up their own minds about a $50,000+ truck and what color it should be and what equipment it should have based upon what people who have a brain have researched and decided.

There, I vented.

Bruce

Quick Reply: CoastalTech Blue Lockpick