GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

CoastalTech Blue Lockpick

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 09:47 AM
rklages
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - everyone should take back all the negative things they have said about coastal tech because I had an awesome experience and it looks like they are on top of things. I sent an email at 11 pm last night because my new Lockpick Ultimate didn't work. Kelly called me at 11am this morning and I missed the call - called back and got her right away. She got a tech to take a look at the issue and they are sending me a replacement first thing on Monday morning. Not only awesome support but on a Saturday too!

Kudos to Dave and Kelly on a great product and great support - looks like previous complaints may be a thing of the past!
Old 08-19-06, 02:47 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by rklages

Kudos to Dave and Kelly on a great product and great support - looks like previous complaints may be a thing of the past!
Time will tell.
Old 08-21-06, 07:15 AM
Lou19
Rookie

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
So you had to disable your Vais "I agree" function huh?

CV
Hi CV,

So, you come here to wise crack me again, good. You just can't enough of me, there is something missing in your life and you come here to fill the void. Having said that, here is my reply:

Yes, I have the luxury of choosing if I want my Coastal unit or my Vais unit to push the "I agree" button. In fact, the Coastal unit has shaved a 1/2 second off and now even less of my precious time is wasted. Although I seem to waste it here replying to your smart remarks.

My turn:
Pay anyone to installed yours yet? Huh?? If you find the courage to do it yourself, cut the red wire first.

Lou
OIF VET
42nd "Convicts"
Never Forget
Old 08-21-06, 01:50 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Are there any gx owners with the 04 model? I feel left out when they don't make a lockpick for the 04 models. I hope i'm in the same boat as some 04 owners......
Old 08-21-06, 02:13 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexGX

Are there any gx owners with the 04 model? I feel left out when they don't make a lockpick for the 04 models. I hope i'm in the same boat as some 04 owners......
I too, have the '04 GX. I think that CoastaleTech could make a module for the '03 and '04 if they put their mind to it.

~ Cap
Old 08-22-06, 08:20 AM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

Default Blue Lockpick up and running!

Report on the Blue Lockpick. The instructions provided were for a Toyota Prius. The instructions stated that the top speaker can be removed to install the Lockpick. Checked this out, but with the Lexus GX470, the back of the Nav system was too difficult to access. Must install by removing dash panels.

So, I had the Blue Lockpick installed by someone else; wife thinks I am a klutz and will break every panel I try to remove. Install was only 1/2 hour, and cost $75. Wife paid for it, so no big deal.

"I Agree" macro works great, operates within about 5 seconds of starting the ignition.

The Navigation activation requires a screen touch. Once in the Destination Screen, you have to press the bullseye in the top left part of the screen. That activates a macro that mimics the manual override key sequence.

The Bluetooth phone operates smoothly with a screen touch. To get to the keypad while in motion, press the pickup button on the steering handle, which will bring you to the one touch dialing screen. Press "back" to get to the dial keypad. The only drawback that I found is that the keypad is not active during phone calls for keying in numbers for automated phone systems (voicemail, extension numbers, automated oprator responses, etc.). You'll have to use your phone's keypad for this. So, you'll still need the phone available for this purpose.

All in all, the Blue Lockpick is a good purchase. The one significant benefit is that I can use the Lexus dialpad for phone dialing and have an immediate connection. When dialing using your phone's keypad, there is about a 3 second delay in the Lexus bluetooth picking up the call. This is annoying to the other party, because of the my response delay.

Of course, we should not be dialing our cellphones while driving!

Last edited by rtanouye; 08-22-06 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Adding new comments
Old 08-25-06, 05:56 PM
peterh
Rookie

Well, got the new ultimate lock pick and installed it in my 05 with RSES. Installation was super simple (I have had the radio out before when installing XM) and most everything works. The "I Agree" goes away as expected, bluetooth functions are unlocked, and the NAV destination override works as epected. My only problem is with the DVD. I no longer can get the DVD screen up on the front display. Hitting the DISC or MODE buttons do nothing. By using MODE on the wheel, I can scroll through all the audio inputs, but then it stops at CD CHANGER. Normally the DVD would come up and then go back through the radio again. I took it apart twice and put everything back twice make sure, but same issues each time.

My only guess is that i have a defective unit - at least that is my hope. I really wanted the DVD unlocked upfront (for my passengers of course) As it is with the lockpick installed, I cant even get the DVD to play its audio through the speakers as before.

The DVD does work normally in the back with the lockpick installed.

Emails and calls out to Coastaletech. I have had decent luck contacting them so hopefully they will get back to me with some ideas.

Will post results as soon as I have them.

Last edited by peterh; 08-25-06 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-25-06, 06:24 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default A suggestion. And a question

Originally Posted by peterh
Well, got the new ultimate lock pick and installed it in my 05 with RSES. Installation was super simple (I have had the radio out before when installing XM) and most everything works. The "I Agree" goes away as expected, bluetooth functions are unlocked, and the NAV destination override works as epected. My only problem is with the DVD. I no longer can get the DVD screen up on the front display. Hitting the DISC or MODE buttons do nothing. By using MODE on the wheel, I can scroll through all the audio inputs, but then it stops at CD CHANGER. Normally the DVD would come up and then go back through the radio again. I took it apart twice and put everything back twice make sure, but same issues each time.

My only guess is that i have a defective unit - at least that is my hope. I really wanted the DVD unlocked upfront (for my passengers of course) As it is with the lockpick installed, I cant even get the DVD to play its audio through the speakers as before.

The DVD does work normally in the back with the lockpick installed.

Emails and calls out to Coastaletech. I have had decent luck contacting them so hopefully they will get back to me with some ideas.

Will post results as soon as I have them.
First the suggestion: Have you tried cycling through with a source plugged into the front display? It might not work unless it "sees" a video source.

Now the question: What exactly did you do to get the BT to work? Couldn't get mine to work. What key sequence did you use?
Old 08-25-06, 09:16 PM
peterh
Rookie

No matter what I did, I was not able to cycle to the DVD screen on the front. Pushing "DISC" only changed over to the CD changer, and cycling through the steering wheel "MODE" button just stopped at the CD Changer. Hitting DISC again did nothing and when the CD changer was on, hitting the MODE button did nothing at all. All the while the DVD was playing on the back screen. I also tried taking the DVD out and still could not get to the DVD screen in front. Looking at the video on the coastaletech site, you should be able to see the generic DVD screen, hit the "UP" arrow then the "PICTURE" button becomes unlocked allowing the video signal to show up front. That DVD screen with that "PICTURE" button no longer exisits for me...

As far as the BT - when in motion, hit the phone button. You can see the standard quick dial screen, but you can now hit "BACK" and get to the screen which has the keypad for dialing. That part worked just perfect.

Again, I am assuming there has to be something wrong with the Lockpick - it is as if it does not see a DVD player installed.
Old 08-26-06, 06:53 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default I would try hooking up a DVD player to the Ultimate's connections (m)

Originally Posted by peterh
No matter what I did, I was not able to cycle to the DVD screen on the front. Pushing "DISC" only changed over to the CD changer, and cycling through the steering wheel "MODE" button just stopped at the CD Changer. Hitting DISC again did nothing and when the CD changer was on, hitting the MODE button did nothing at all. All the while the DVD was playing on the back screen. I also tried taking the DVD out and still could not get to the DVD screen in front. Looking at the video on the coastaletech site, you should be able to see the generic DVD screen, hit the "UP" arrow then the "PICTURE" button becomes unlocked allowing the video signal to show up front. That DVD screen with that "PICTURE" button no longer exisits for me...

As far as the BT - when in motion, hit the phone button. You can see the standard quick dial screen, but you can now hit "BACK" and get to the screen which has the keypad for dialing. That part worked just perfect.

Again, I am assuming there has to be something wrong with the Lockpick - it is as if it does not see a DVD player installed.

I suspect that the unit must "see" a signal through its own inputs before playing in the front. Lacking a portable DVD player, I tried it with an old VCR, which worked.
Old 08-26-06, 12:44 PM
peterh
Rookie

The version of the lockpick I ordered (after talking with coastaletech) does not have aux video inputs. It is just the "T" cable that is plugged into the headunit. Since I have the factory RSES I was told that the lockpicks do not have the option for aux video. Unless I am missing something here, Kelley from coastaletech actually called me to verify my car options to make sure the order I placed was correct.
Old 08-29-06, 10:46 AM
peterh
Rookie

Got an email from Coastaletech and they are sending me out a new unit. Email was sent out Friday night and my response came back on Sunday night. Will post progress when new unit arrives and is installed. Luckily installation only took me 10min now that I am a pro at getting the headunit out.
Old 08-30-06, 03:30 AM
rklages
Pole Position

I had mine replaced and plugged in the new unit after getting super good service and a couple calls from Coastal to verify I had the correct untit etc. Got the new one 3 days later and plugged it in and it works perfect as advertised. It was a bummer the first one didn't work and a few people are having issues, but no harm done and it works so well it is worth any extra wait I had!

Rob
Old 08-30-06, 10:37 AM
peterh
Rookie

Rob, good to hear...I am anxiously awaiting my replacement unit and hopefully it works as you say. It was a total bummer that the first unit did not work correctly as I have been waiting for something like this for the last year + and to get one that mostly works was a bit disappointing. Oh well, as you say, no harm done once the new one arrives and it works as advertised.
Old 09-09-06, 01:13 PM
frederic
Driver School Candidate

Default No DVD with Ultimate Lockpick1 with RSES

I have the same problem. I received the Ultimate Lockpick1 for my '05 with RSES. After installation, pressing the DISC button does NOT switch the NAV system to DVD. It reamins on CD. Even using the MODE button on the sterring wheel, the DVD mode is bypassed. I wonder how many other people are having this same problem??? I just left a phone call with CoastaleTech and sent an email. Being that it's Saturday, I'll have to wait until business hours. Hopefully they can correct this situation promptly.

Quick Reply: CoastalTech Blue Lockpick