GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: How many of you have a navigation system
Yes-I have a navigation system
75.85%
Yes-I have a navigation system but don't use too often
12.08%
Yes-I have a navigation system but dont use it
1.45%
No, I don't have a navigation system
10.63%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Poll-Navigation or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 12:52 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll-Navigation or not

How many of you have a navigation system.

Last edited by malhokc; 06-09-06 at 02:31 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-09-06, 01:57 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it alot more often now that I know how to use it while I am driving...let me rephrase. I am glad that my wife is able to punch in destinations and POIs now that I can override the system.

Thanks!!

CV
Old 06-10-06, 01:10 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I use it alot more often now that I know how to use it while I am driving...let me rephrase. I am glad that my wife is able to punch in destinations and POIs now that I can override the system.

Thanks!!

CV
again.. a gx without one doesn't look right... its a must.
Old 06-10-06, 04:33 AM
darrellk
Rookie

Originally Posted by malhokc
How many of you have a navigation system.
I did't get a nav system when we bought our 06 GX 470. I felt I could buy a less expensive, better one after market. I havent done that yet. I do wish i could have bought the ML upgrade though.

Last edited by darrellk; 06-10-06 at 04:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-06, 09:09 AM
batmobl
Rookie

I love the nav system. I find it very useful.
Old 06-10-06, 05:16 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
again.. a gx without one doesn't look right... its a must.
not necessarily. one of the reasons why i chose a GX w/o NAV because I didn't like the idea of a CD magazine in the glove. It's old technology because that's what they used in the RX300. Another reason was, line for a loaded GX was so long, i just couldn't wait to drive a GX and be the first one in my area!
Old 06-12-06, 05:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We use a potable Nav, so we can switch back and forth from my wife's car and my car. It is much cheaper and makes more sense money wise. I wish they would make the ML system a stand alone option, although the base audio system sounds pretty good already.
Old 06-12-06, 08:24 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maps .... ? Not a choice,eh?
Old 06-12-06, 08:01 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

If you don't get the NAVI, you don't get the rearview camera or the ML sound system. I normally like NAVI's but this particular one is INFURIATING in that it is not intuitive AT ALL. Sure, it's got touch screen but IMHO the internal operations are poor on the Lexus NAVIs. Still, it is handy every once in a while now that we have the hack to allow use while in motion.
Old 06-12-06, 08:35 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
We use a potable Nav, so we can switch back and forth from my wife's car and my car. It is much cheaper and makes more sense money wise. I wish they would make the ML system a stand alone option, although the base audio system sounds pretty good already.
Which one are you using. I'm looking into getting one of these.

Thanks
Old 06-13-06, 06:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the Garmin StreetPilot 2720. I prefer the potable since we don’t use it that much and I can take this unit into any car I want. I would have bought the rear view camera and the ML system if the nav didn’t come with it. I wasn't too crazy about the touch screen functions, way too complicated. Call me old fashion, I prefer the dials and ***** of the non nav radio system. Technology is not always the best thing. Just look at BMW's I-drive system. You can’t even operate that system unless you have a co-pilot.
Old 06-13-06, 10:45 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Just to show another opinion. I currently have two Navs, one in the GX (touchscreen) and on in my Mercedes (not touchscreen).

The MB is horrible, to use, to view, to access, etc. Not all of it it touchscreen vs non-touchscreen, a lot of it has to do with how the designer laid out the functions and the menus, etc. But I'll take the touchscreen over non-touch any day. Plus with more of the "buttons" on the screen, instead of outside of it, it allows either the screen to be bigger, or the overall Nav to take up less space on the console.
Old 06-13-06, 11:00 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

I honestly thought I wouldn't use it at first. I now find it extremely useful. I ferry my daughters back and forth all over the place to friends houses and I can't remember where they all live! A great tool!
Old 06-13-06, 05:17 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loflin
Just to show another opinion. I currently have two Navs, one in the GX (touchscreen) and on in my Mercedes (not touchscreen).

The MB is horrible, to use, to view, to access, etc. Not all of it it touchscreen vs non-touchscreen, a lot of it has to do with how the designer laid out the functions and the menus, etc. But I'll take the touchscreen over non-touch any day. Plus with more of the "buttons" on the screen, instead of outside of it, it allows either the screen to be bigger, or the overall Nav to take up less space on the console.
I'm usually not a fan of touchscreens, but I definitely agree with you here. I tried a few nav systems that used a type of joystick, and they were a real pain. The touchscreen is much better.
Old 06-13-06, 08:04 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I love my NAV and I'll never drive another vehicle without it. And the functionality of the NAV system will definitely play a huge part in choosing vehicles for me.

Now,
1) I'm navigationally impaired. Seriously, couldn't tell you east from west unless it was sunrise or sunset and I thought about it for a little while.

2) I travel a lot and have to find restaurants/offices etc...

So for me, it's indispensable. And I'm sure some of the portables like the TomTom Go are great and maybe better than the Lexus, but I just hate having things added on like that (like my XM Roady2--thank God Lexus is finally getting XM!).

My main complaint is the update frequency and lack of upgrade path. That would be my main reason for considering an add-on NAV system. But then I LOVE the ML audio, so what's a man to do?

Quick Reply: Poll-Navigation or not