GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

10,000 mile servce

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 08:38 AM
afedelecpd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10,000 mile servce

I am within 1,500 miles of needing my scheduled 10,000 mile maintenance. Has anyone had this service done yet? If so, what does it entail and how much does it cost?
Old 06-03-06, 11:54 AM
malhokc
Pole Position

Having this GX as my fourth Lexus, I usually find these services a waste of money. Just make sure to get the 5K oil change. My uncle who works for Lexus also concurs. It's just another way of the dealer making money. I would recc go with what's in the service manual, anything else is a waste of money.
Old 06-03-06, 12:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

agree with malhokc, these cars are pretty much maintenance free, change the oil every 5k, my father just got an 07 ES350, the maintenance book say every 5k to change the oil and that's it, I always do what the manufacture recommends, what the dealer wants is completely different, I can't believe that a dealership will change your oil and inspect your car for 150 bucks and the prices only go up
Old 06-05-06, 09:38 AM
jkaram7
Rookie

I agree, My dealer is very honest and tells us at which interval we should take it to the toyota dealer nearby and when we should bring it to the dealer for maintenance.
Old 06-05-06, 02:36 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Change the oil and filter. Use good quality filter and fluids
Vacuum clean, inspect for any damage, your engine and cabin air filters... Replace, if needed. Toyota parts may have the number on the original air filter.
Old 06-05-06, 02:48 PM
tnguyenmdc
Driver School Candidate

Just had mine done last week (10K service). Cost me $158.00. Basically they just changed the oil, oil filter and a bunch of inspection. The invoice also shows an oil additivie and also some kind of gas additive.

I'm going to save my money from now on and just change the oil every 5K miles. Maybe I'll bring it in for the 30K service.
Old 06-06-06, 05:27 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Unhappy

costs $250 around here for 10k service - essentially an oil change, rotate tires and change air conditioner filter....that is it.......

standard oil change at lexus is $30-40 excl. oil ( I plan to bring my own oil: Mobil 1). I will pay for oil change and tire rotation - and go to BestBuy to spend the remaining $200 ..car bought last winter so no need to change air conditioner filter.

I am happy to pay the extra $200 for valid reasons to Lexus but not for an oil change! My BMW service is cheaper.....!!
Old 06-06-06, 06:09 PM
lexite
Driver

Its just a regular service at every 5K interval. In my exp they do oil and filter change, top off any other fluids as needed, rotate tires, adjust air pressure, lube wherever needed, inspect a few items, carwash, and road test. Takes ~ 1hr and NO LOANER for this service. Plus pastries, coffee, courtsey shuttle(if requested), WIFI in lounge for so called free of cost. All inclusive for ~ $150. Just the oil and filter change is ~ $45.
Old 06-07-06, 04:42 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all of you. Complete waste of money! Just change the oil and rotate the tires yourself.

CV
Old 06-08-06, 07:27 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would just change oil/oil filter, rotate tires (every 5-7K mi) for the first 30K mi, maybe give the driveshaft zerks a couple of pumps of grease in between. My LX calls for replacing the cabin air fitlers every 15K mi, but I'm not sure if that's necessary. The one on my honda is replaced at 30K mi intervals.
Old 06-08-06, 08:25 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I would just change oil/oil filter, rotate tires (every 5-7K mi) for the first 30K mi, maybe give the driveshaft zerks a couple of pumps of grease in between. My LX calls for replacing the cabin air fitlers every 15K mi, but I'm not sure if that's necessary. The one on my honda is replaced at 30K mi intervals.
I replace my cabin filter a lot due to my allergies. I've found that it is disgusting after only one month of driving.

CV
Old 06-08-06, 09:15 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I replace my cabin filter a lot due to my allergies. I've found that it is disgusting after only one month of driving.

CV
guys what exactly is a cabin filter.. i regulary get the service done at the dealership.. don't know if they change it or not... i don't recall them mentioning it though.
Old 06-08-06, 09:42 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
guys what exactly is a cabin filter.. i regulary get the service done at the dealership.. don't know if they change it or not... i don't recall them mentioning it though.
There should be a filter behind your glovebox that is used to filter incoming fresh air as it goes into the cabin. They are way overpriced and cheap looking IMHO. You can access it by getting behind the glovebox (at least that is where it was in my 4Runner). It slides out of a little tray and the stealer will charge you a premium to change it. There are other's on line that are better and last longer. I personally made my own in my 4RUnner. I cut out a piece of household HEPA filter and put it in the tray . It was an easy mod and kept the cabin virtually dust free longer.

CV
Old 06-08-06, 06:58 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
There should be a filter behind your glovebox that is used to filter incoming fresh air as it goes into the cabin. They are way overpriced and cheap looking IMHO. You can access it by getting behind the glovebox (at least that is where it was in my 4Runner). It slides out of a little tray and the stealer will charge you a premium to change it. There are other's on line that are better and last longer. I personally made my own in my 4RUnner. I cut out a piece of household HEPA filter and put it in the tray . It was an easy mod and kept the cabin virtually dust free longer.

CV
thanks for the info .. but does the filter have to be model specific when ordering online or its just one universal size. how much are they at lexus anyway.. if u know.
Old 06-09-06, 04:56 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
thanks for the info .. but does the filter have to be model specific when ordering online or its just one universal size. how much are they at lexus anyway.. if u know.
sayadil, I believe that they are universal but I could be wrong. I believe they are around $24 and they don't last long and feel cheep. I'm telling you, you can make a really nice mod of this product. You can get 4 filters out of a $19 HEPA filter from your local hardware store. You can cut out 4 filters from one filter.

CV

Quick Reply: 10,000 mile servce