GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: What Type of Rear Door for the GX?
I like the barn door - leave it alone!
30.86%
Just make the barn door into a liftgate
7.41%
I want a liftgate and an openable rear window for flexibility
16.05%
I want it all - liftgate with push button open and close and openable rear window
45.68%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

GX Barndoor poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 03:33 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX Barndoor poll

The time has come to get some numbers on the rear door of the GX. What would you like to see on a future model?
Old 05-25-06, 04:09 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The door

I voted for the liftgate, but i'd be happy with the door the way it is if the window went down. I ordered an 07, I just hope they don't change the door for 08........... I'd hate to have to get another one...........
Old 05-25-06, 07:19 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
I voted for the liftgate, but i'd be happy with the door the way it is if the window went down. I ordered an 07, I just hope they don't change the door for 08........... I'd hate to have to get another one...........
i would like it to be like the RX.. preferably with crystal clear lights and electronic remote operation would be nice as well.
Old 05-25-06, 07:45 PM
darrellk
Rookie

Originally Posted by SilverLady
The time has come to get some numbers on the rear door of the GX. What would you like to see on a future model?
When we first got our 06 gx470, my wife just hated the "barn" type rear door. She( and I ) have come to really like the rear door as is. We find it very convienent to load and unload grocerys etc. and my gal no longer bumps her pretty head on the door. With the previous Jeeps it was a real problem for her as her height was just right to make contact with the door lip if not careful when lifting or closing.

WE LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!!
D&J
Old 05-25-06, 08:48 PM
ariana8
Driver School Candidate

I'm the one in our family who doesn't mind the door THAT much but any of the other alternatives would be an improvement. The GX470 is classy enough it doesn't need a somewhat clunky door arrangement to make it stand out.
Old 05-25-06, 09:27 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

we've already had a poll on this issue before.....

rear door

rear door
Old 05-26-06, 04:42 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

I voted for the power everything but it is fine the way it is. I voted this way because the more bells and whistles the better. And after paying close to $60K for a ride, I want the best for my money. I love my GX thus far however.

CV
Old 05-26-06, 05:01 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a back door like the LX 470? That would be my choice! My door always closes on me even if there is no wind and parked level, a big pain when trying to load it up!
Old 05-26-06, 06:22 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
How about a back door like the LX 470? That would be my choice! My door always closes on me even if there is no wind and parked level, a big pain when trying to load it up!
Mine locks to prevent this from happening...

CV
Old 05-26-06, 08:09 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Mine locks to prevent this from happening...

CV
Mine does too, just a pain to keep locking it every time you open it. My locking bar is also very hard to lock and unlock.
Old 05-26-06, 08:29 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rx900
we've already had a poll on this issue before.....

rear door

rear door
Thanks for the link.

I figure there have been a lot more owners since the SUV first came out in 2003, and the competition is offering more options. It seems time for a refresher - especially since the GX is probably due for a major revamp in the next couple of years.
Old 05-26-06, 06:02 PM
no1sportz
Driver School Candidate

I'd have to agree with CdeFabio. The LX door configuration is great. It always worked well for me trying to put on ski/snowboard boots. LOL...it was quite convenient using the bottom hatch as a tailgate.

Personally I hate the current rear door design but that is the only thing I dislike about the GX. It is a superb vehicle. As great as the LX was I actually prefer the GX now.
Old 05-30-06, 08:17 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by no1sportz
I'd have to agree with CdeFabio. The LX door configuration is great. It always worked well for me trying to put on ski/snowboard boots. LOL...it was quite convenient using the bottom hatch as a tailgate.

Personally I hate the current rear door design but that is the only thing I dislike about the GX. It is a superb vehicle. As great as the LX was I actually prefer the GX now.

Why does this old post keep showing up as a new post?
Old 05-30-06, 09:14 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I love the rear look of the GX. Looks very nice, although somewhat tall. I have often been slammed by the swing out door if I didn't lock the hinge properly, so I am voting for the Auto liftgate. The rear window feature is nice, but I had this before in my old 4Runner and found that I didn't use it that often or would forget to close it.
Old 05-31-06, 05:07 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Mine does too, just a pain to keep locking it every time you open it. My locking bar is also very hard to lock and unlock.
Yeah, I agree with it being hard to lock and unlock the door. My wife has problems with it too. Anyway, if most of us don't like the barn door, why does Lexus keep it around? Or, better yet, why did they design it like that in the first place. Any ideas? Ease of use? My take would be that they designed it for women who find it hard to pull down on a heavy gate. But if that is the case, it should have been motorized because it is a $55K vehicle.

CV

Quick Reply: GX Barndoor poll