GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

The GX470 needs to be Revamped

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 06:57 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The GX470 needs to be Revamped

I have to say that the GX470 has to be revamped soon. I saw the new Loaded Chevy Tahoe LTZ and that is a full size SUV that looks good. I had my GX470 parked right next to it and the GX looked outdated.

1. The Tall GX470 Height with the skinny width still looks unusual.
2. I don't have any issues with the swing out rear door, but the competion now has Power Liftgates which is is the way to go.
3. The Lexus V8 is fine, but only puts out only 265-270HP, while the competition is already well over 300HP.
4. The handling on the NON-KDSS versions is not adequate. The AVS is not a true sports suspension like KDSS. The GX470 seems top heavy and body roll is evident.
5. The small 17" wheels does not do the GX470 any justice.
6. The Lexus interior is still decent, but the panel & gauges and that long shifter is outdated. Even the 4Runner has a better interior layout with the shorter shifter.
7. The 3rd Row Seating is not real. It's there, but if you want real 3rd row seating where adults can ship you have to go to a full size SUV.
8. The optional chrome exhaust tip should be standard on the GX470. It is a shame seeing GX's without it, since it seems unfinished for a $50K+ SUV.

I have a feeling Lexus will start to revamp their entire truck line, sine the GX & LX sales are in decline. It's about time and I am anxious to see what they come up.

One more thing, can you believe if you want a full size SUV with real 3rd row seating, a fully loaded Toyota Land Cruiser can top $67K? Are you kidding me? LX in the $60K-70K? May not be worth it and better alternatives out there.
Old 05-09-06, 09:44 AM
rklages
Pole Position

I don't disagree that the GX's time has come - I love mine and still really like the looks, but it has been around for a while! I had an 04 tahoe for a while and it was one of the worst vehicles I have owned - the new one is certainly better, but still not even in the game compared to the GX. Of course if you compare apples to apples it is cheaper than other full size suv's, so maybe you can live with the issues vs. the cost savings. i don't particularly like the looks of it, but it is better than the old one, fit and finish has improved slightly and the interior is better than it was I would still take the GX over it in a heartbeat thought, quality, ride, handling fit and finish and reliablity are so much better. The Chevy needs the extra power to drag around all the extra weight anyway, and if you look at torque, which is the number that really means something, the GX is right in there and it certainly is much faster than my Tahoe every was clunking and jerking it's way to 60.

BTW - anyone notice that the new MB GL just came out and it looks like they pretty much stuck MB logos on a GX - very similiar inside and out!
Old 05-09-06, 12:27 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The tahoe and the GL are both nice SUVs, but I still perfer the GX over the both of them. The tahoe which weights about 700 pounds heavier than the GX will have performance issues, even with that big V8. The tahoe also have a bad track record, of course its too early to tell on the new one. The GL is one awesome SUV, again almost 400 pounds heavier with similar torque numbers as the GX. When equipment similarly to the GX, it cost almost $15000 more. Dollar for dollar, the GX is the better buy.
Old 05-09-06, 01:46 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I can't believe that GM is still using that same cheap black plastic stalk on the steering column for the gear selector on their redesigned SUV's. Even on the brand new $60,000 Escalade. What about a center console shifter?
Old 05-10-06, 04:00 AM
rklages
Pole Position

They used all the money it would take to make a really great vehicle paying all their pensions and delphi issues, problems Toyota doesnt have to pay for (although Delphi was their number 1 supplier last year). Dollar for dollar they just cannot compete, they need to build the vehicle cheaper to make money, so competing is nearly impossible for someone like GM! I would rather spend my money domestically and tried with an 04 Tahoe, but it was a waste of money and I can't just throw my money away, so I went back to Lexus - I looked at the new Tahoe, but with no incentives and wanting over 50K for a new loaded LTZ, it isn't worth the money. I might be a really nice vehicle, but it needs to cost 35-40k to be a resonable deal!
Old 05-10-06, 04:50 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll honk and wave to you when you are on the side of the road in your Tahoe. I personally like the fact that Lexus/Toyota put the quality into the engine and etc. Yes, there are some things about the GX that I would love to change, but I absolutely love this truck!

CV
Old 05-10-06, 12:56 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I have to say that the GX470 has to be revamped soon. I saw the new Loaded Chevy Tahoe LTZ and that is a full size SUV that looks good. I had my GX470 parked right next to it and the GX looked outdated.

1. The Tall GX470 Height with the skinny width still looks unusual.
2. I don't have any issues with the swing out rear door, but the competion now has Power Liftgates which is is the way to go.
3. The Lexus V8 is fine, but only puts out only 265-270HP, while the competition is already well over 300HP.
4. The handling on the NON-KDSS versions is not adequate. The AVS is not a true sports suspension like KDSS. The GX470 seems top heavy and body roll is evident.
5. The small 17" wheels does not do the GX470 any justice.
6. The Lexus interior is still decent, but the panel & gauges and that long shifter is outdated. Even the 4Runner has a better interior layout with the shorter shifter.
7. The 3rd Row Seating is not real. It's there, but if you want real 3rd row seating where adults can ship you have to go to a full size SUV.
8. The optional chrome exhaust tip should be standard on the GX470. It is a shame seeing GX's without it, since it seems unfinished for a $50K+ SUV.

I have a feeling Lexus will start to revamp their entire truck line, sine the GX & LX sales are in decline. It's about time and I am anxious to see what they come up.

One more thing, can you believe if you want a full size SUV with real 3rd row seating, a fully loaded Toyota Land Cruiser can top $67K? Are you kidding me? LX in the $60K-70K? May not be worth it and better alternatives out there.
I generally agree with you. But keep in mind that GX was not originally designed for North America. There had to be a compromise somewhere. They don't sell enough GXs to justify NA focused design. I would say that for the money, they should make KDSS and chrome exhaust tip standard.
Old 05-10-06, 01:49 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Interesting to think how the GX/RX/LX will look after the L-Finesse redesign.
Old 05-10-06, 08:32 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

The GX is still a mid-size SUV, whereas the Tahoe is a full size SUV, so if you want to transport multiple kids or friends around the Tahoe can accomodate better. Sure a loaded Tahoe can run around $50K sticker, but the incentives and negotiation should get you a better deal out the door.

For this size truck like the Tahoe (Full size SUV), the LX is about the same size, but it's over $70K? Even the Land Cruiser is over $60K!? Both these vehicle and the GX are also in need of a revamp and can not justify the premium price at this time.

You can even get a Yukon Denali for $50K and a loaded Caddy Escalade at around the same price as a Land Crusier, but still cheaper than a LX.
Old 05-11-06, 04:09 PM
davidc1
Rookie

The GX is still a mid-size SUV, whereas the Tahoe is a full size SUV, so if you want to transport multiple kids or friends around the Tahoe can accomodate better. Sure a loaded Tahoe can run around $50K sticker, but the incentives and negotiation should get you a better deal out the door.

For this size truck like the Tahoe (Full size SUV), the LX is about the same size, but it's over $70K? Even the Land Cruiser is over $60K!? Both these vehicle and the GX are also in need of a revamp and can not justify the premium price at this time.

You can even get a Yukon Denali for $50K and a loaded Caddy Escalade at around the same price as a Land Crusier, but still cheaper than a LX.
Loaded Escalade should be more like $60k, I think. I drove a friends Escalade recently and felt that it looked nice but drove crappy. I felt much better about my GX afterwards. I hear that the new ones are much nicer driving though.
Old 05-12-06, 06:47 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davidc1
Loaded Escalade should be more like $60k, I think. I drove a friends Escalade recently and felt that it looked nice but drove crappy. I felt much better about my GX afterwards. I hear that the new ones are much nicer driving though.
You are right, however I was saying a Toyota Land Cruiser is also at $60K and the Land Cruiser is just outdated at this time and the Escalade has so much more power at 400+HP.

The GX is still in a different class, due it's smaller size. If you want more room and a full size SUV with real 3rd row seating the American large SUVS are your best bang for the buck against the overly priced Japanese and European full size SUV counterparts.
Old 05-12-06, 07:48 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus should drop a sixspeed auto into the GX and LX improve performance and gas mileage. As for the GX revamp it needs a minor restyle. The chrome exhaust tip and the lights from the sport package should be standard maybe they should also make the optional wheels standard and add clear turn signals to the rear. Try to make it look less like the Prado a little bit.
Old 05-12-06, 11:37 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

There is something about those 17" Stock / OEM wheels that either look good sometimes in certain angles or just doesn't do the vehicle justice at all. What is why a GX with 20's would look amazing. Heck even the new Tahoe has a 20" rim factory option! We are TOO YOUNG to be driving GXs!
Old 05-12-06, 01:59 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Squattier Tires

There is something about those 17" Stock / OEM wheels that either look good sometimes in certain angles or just doesn't do the vehicle justice at all. What is why a GX with 20's would look amazing. Heck even the new Tahoe has a 20" rim factory option! We are TOO YOUNG to be driving GXs!
Problem is, that you have to get squattier tires when getting larger wheels, due to having to keep the diameter similar.

With squattier tires, you loose the better ride. I went from 16s to 17s on my GS. I'm sorry I did.

~ Cap
Old 05-12-06, 02:08 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
Problem is, that you have to get squattier tires when getting larger wheels, due to having to keep the diameter similar.

With squattier tires, you loose the better ride. I went from 16s to 17s on my GS. I'm sorry I did.

~ Cap

You are correct, but this is a sacrifice IMHO that is worth it.

I saw a GS450h the other day with the 18" rims with summer tires and it looked incredible with those nice large rims, low profile tires and fat width tires. This vehicle probably wouldn't have handled or looked as good if it had 16-17" rims.

Quick Reply: The GX470 needs to be Revamped